Graham James in Court Again

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Graham James to be sentenced for sexual assaults | CTV News

Graham James is supposed to be in a Winnipeg courtroom to be sentenced, yet again, for more sexual assault charges on young hockey players in his care. Some of these charges go back to when Theo Fleury (now in his 40s) was playing junior for him, and another former NHL player Greg Gilhooly is involved, so the charges are well in the past but it leads me to wonder how this man can still be free. As time has progressed more and more players (famous like Sheldon Kennedy and Fleury but also lesser known ones) have come forward... and still for a man who was a serial rapist, the expectation is he won't receive any jail time.

This is the type of case that gets the Conservative base in this country frothing at the mouth, and for good reason. Recidivism among pedophiles in the 90% range, and yet we see a convicted one, in high profile cases, walk away with slaps on the wrist at worst. This is why people (myself included) think the system is broken. I do think we overreact to some drug-related offenses but guys like Graham James should never be allowed outside a prison again.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
This molesting piece of **** should get tossed into the slammer and never be allowed to taste freedom ever again. The fact that he had received a pardon for his first bout of molestations is one of the biggest miscarriages of justice I have ever seen.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This molesting piece of **** should get tossed into the slammer and never be allowed to taste freedom ever again. The fact that he had received a pardon for his first bout of molestations is one of the biggest miscarriages of justice I have ever seen.
Absolutely. I don't know why we are mollycoddling this S.O.B.. It is not as if he was going to be cured any time soon. The damage this
peckerhead has done will never be repaired.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Contrary to my general beliefs the only solution I can see is warehousing the bastards. The only reason I'm against giving them the needle is because they are born this way.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Contrary to my general beliefs the only solution I can see is warehousing the bastards. The only reason I'm against giving them the needle is because they are born this way.
There was a good Louis Theroux doc on a sex offender rehab in the US on iChannel yesterday. Warehousing/rehab has become a for profit enterprise. To me that is just as disgusting.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Would rehab prevent you getting a hard on when a naked woman walks by?
Yup! Watch the documentary and get an idea what goes on instead of guessing.

They hook a device up to their wangs and test for that while they look at photos and video montages.

It's at 12:40 in the Documentary.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The recidivism rate for pedophiles is over 90% with current rehab/therapy techniques. I don't rehabbing them as anything close to an acceptable risk to the children of our society. It may about a mindset but from all reports it is a highly addictive one and one that leads to infringing on the rights of The Most Vulnerable Segment of our population. I don't see castration as a viable alternative either. Lock 'em up for good.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The recidivism rate for pedophiles is over 90% with current rehab/therapy techniques. I don't rehabbing them as anything close to an acceptable risk to the children of our society. It may about a mindset but from all reports it is a highly addictive one and one that leads to infringing on the rights of The Most Vulnerable Segment of our population. I don't see castration as a viable alternative either. Lock 'em up for good.
How many abusers were once themselves abused? With this fact looming overhead would parents of the abused scream bloody murder if the victims were treated for the potential of future abuse?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
How many abusers were once themselves abused? With this fact looming overhead would parents of the abused scream bloody murder if the victims were treated for the potential of future abuse?

Possibly a lot, but some suck it up and move on!

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Just because most abusers were victims, doesn't mean most victims will become abusers. You're making a bad assumption if that's the road you're trying to go down.

I think victims of the abuse DO need help to ensure they don't go down the road into becoming offenders but its not as if they are all going to become child abusers without it.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

I feel sympathy to the ones who were abused. However, if they themselves become abusers I feel absolutely no sympathy for them at all.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Yup, it's funny how some people that have never dealt with this type of thing downplay the effects it has. Also, people assume there is all kinds of help for victims of abuse. The mental health world is just like every other world in the health care system. There is an assembly line mentality.