Time To Fire Don Cherry Off CBC

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The point was the Damian Goddard took a stand against a pervasive politically correct viewpoint of our times, stated in a personal opinion protected by freedom of expression.. and was summarily fired for it by Rogers Sportsnet.

You can't see a correspondence between this and the clamour to fire Don Cherry??.. it has the same roots. A tyrannical conformity has established itself as to how Sports reporting can be expressed.. like it has in so many aspects of public opinion.

He worked for a Company - They decided it was an appropriate response - Did you bother to check out their policies on this? Probably not

I see that men play sports and gays do not - It is a conspiracy of gays to undermine Manly things -

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/CSR

From providing a dynamic, healthy and rewarding workplace, to demonstrating environmental stewardship, to supporting universal human rights, corporate social responsibility (CSR) is an ongoing journey at Rogers.

The Policy:

endorses and promotes Rogers commitment to honest and ethical behaviour, including fair dealing and ethical handling of potential and actual conflicts of interest;
promotes full, fair, accurate, timely and understandable disclosure;
promotes compliance with applicable laws and governmental rules and regulations;
ensures the protection of the Company's legitimate business interests, including corporate opportunities, use of corporate assets and confidential information; and
deters wrongdoing.
We require all Rogers employees to have knowledge of, and fully comply with, this Policy of Conduct. All employees are enrolled in annual online training to refresh their knowledge of the code. And, each year, we carefully monitor training completion rates, among new and existing employees, and perform audits to verify that we are 100 per cent compliant.
We abide by all laws and regulations governing human rights and related issues such as equal pay, child labour, freedom of association and collective bargaining. The Canada Labour Code, the Employment Equity Act and the Canadian Human Rights Act are among the laws we respect and support.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
When taken in context I don't think he did anything wrong. I don't necessarily agree with everything he said, but he has a right to his opinion and I still do not see a connection between Hockey fighting and (depression leading to suicide) or substance abuse.

There's plenty of that in other sports where there isn't fighting.

Anyway, I'm sure Cherry's detractors will get their big AHA out of this.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
When taken in context I don't think he did anything wrong. I don't necessarily agree with everything he said, but he has a right to his opinion and I still do not see a connection between Hockey fighting and (depression leading to suicide) or substance abuse.

There's plenty of that in other sports where there isn't fighting.
I don't think it was his opinion he was retracting, so much as his accusations against certain ex players.

Anyway, I'm sure Cherry's detractors will get their big AHA out of this.
More likely, they'll dismiss it. The concept of "the bigger man" is lost on so many.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't think it was his opinion he was retracting, so much as his accusations against certain ex players.

An apology doesn't have to be a retraction. Expressing a sense of regret that a statement produced unintended hard feelings is just a measure of consideration. It does not have to signify a complete change in position.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
An apology doesn't have to be a retraction. Expressing a sense of regret that a statement produced unintended hard feelings is just a measure of consideration. It does not have to signify a complete change in position.
I agree. Which is why I view retraction as a sign of weak principles. Which is why I respect Cherry. He apologized for erroneous claims. Because he was simply wrong.

There are but a few people here capable of that level of maturity, principle and fortitude.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I agree. Which is why I view retraction as a sign of weak principles. Which is why I respect Cherry. He apologized for erroneous claims. Because he was simply wrong.

There are but a few people here capable of that level of maturity, principle and fortitude.

Few also grasp the concept that one can disagree without being disagreeable as well. It's always either/or, all or nothing.

Very limiting, imho.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Few also grasp the concept that one can disagree without being disagreeable as well. It's always either/or, all or nothing.

Very limiting, imho.

Nice point.

As Bear implied, it's lost on some.

Funny how labels, personal jabs and fu ck you's can alter the flavour of a thought eh?

I say more Don Cherry's and less Lotion Men. :lol:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Nice point.

As Bear implied, it's lost on some.

Funny how labels, personal jabs and fu ck you's can alter the flavour of a thought eh?

That's okay though. All the head shaking the rest of us do is really good exercise for the neck muscles.

(Hey, I'm in a glass half full kind of mood)

I say more Don Cherry's and less Lotion Men. :lol:

I'd miss Don if he wasn't around actually. Not that I really listen to him but I just like knowing he's there.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Very limiting, imho.

Exactly, a person can be challenged for a repugnant idea, while remembering the person isn't necessarily repugnant him/herself.