Time To Fire Don Cherry Off CBC

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
So, is that now the responsibility of the NHL or NFL?

Who do I chastise or sue when a kid falls off of their bike? Schwinn or the city that constructed a road that didn't have a built-in airbag?

Lets get a tad real here - If a company hid evidence from their employees that the equipment used was protective - that injuries are not severe - What would you say to that.

Never mind going back to the chicken - egg syndrome. You are smarter than that.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
It's a fair analogy,mental health is the issue,not what you do or how much money you make.

Break it down for me because I am still not seeing the connection between his ice time and his depression.

Why should someone be looked down on because of a mental disease just because their a hockey player?
Who says he should be looked down upon? Not me or anyone else on this thread. I just find the soldier comparison rather fresh and somewhat misplaced.

The analogy is good,people are people and no one is any better then the other

Again what does that have to do with his ice time or soldiers. I responded to what you said to me in the other thread Kakato.

You said:
If your a retired soldier then Im sure you can relate to mental illness as lots coming back from Afghanistan are now suffering with it,it's not something to make light of and it's killing a lot of young people through suicide.
It's a disease,let's treat it as such

I absolutely consider depression and mental illness as a disease. I went on to even say that I have suffered from depression, seen more than my fair share of friends take their own lives. I just don't see the connection to what he did on the ice. It is sad that he took his own life, but he made that choice and if you could clarify for me what hitting in a game has to do with this young man deciding to take his own life I will gladly discuss it with you at length.

Edited to add: And you are right, people are people, but some people are more privileged and have better access than others. I'm willing to bet that Rick had a lot more at his disposal than the average soldier or everyday individual. I don't even have to bet, I know it. Most folks that suffer from depression have to fight to get face time with a psychologist or even a counselor. Usually they toss you a handful of anti depressants or paxil and tell you to "Try this." I was lucky enough to have insurance outside of medicare that gave me the tools I needed, but most aren't.

A lot of my pals didn't. Some of them didn't make it.

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Lets get a tad real here - If a company hid evidence from their employees that the equipment used was protective - that injuries are not severe - What would you say to that.

Never mind going back to the chicken - egg syndrome. You are smarter than that.

My point is this Goober.. Sports like hockey and football are prone to injury, both long and short term; that's never been a secret since the inception of either sport. Neither is the notion that the 'protective equipment' will (or would) shelter the 'wearer' from any form of consequence. If an athlete chose to believe that they were invincible if they wore this stuff, then that's their problem.... This all comes back to personal choice and accepting personal responsibility for your own actions.

The 'employer', in this case never sold the idea that the equipment would prevent any form of harm... Further, the various player's associations also would maintain culpability in that they would have to be in on it as well... Put both together, among the capacity of the athlete to speak with their family Doc or other 3rd party advisors, and the notion gets even slimer.

With all this in mind, Rypien's suicide is tragic - my heart goes out to his friends and family for their loss. However, my opinion is that Rick's mental condition that lead him to make that choice was/is not the direct result of playing hockey or being subjected to head trauma.. If a direct link existed, we'd see huge rates of suicides amongst hockey players (as compared to baseball players for example). On that note, we'd probably see similar, or higher rates of suicide amongst skiers... But we don't see that do we?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I could see someone dragging Sidney Crosby or Eric Lindros into this argument about head injuries, but depression is a whole other kettle of fish.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Yeah, 10 years in the NHL qualifies him as an expert on mental health issues.

From what I saw from Grimson on TV, he never mentioned anything about mental health issues, just fighting and he said Cherry was not taken seriously when he played. Cherry used to entertain but forgot about knowing what he is talking about, so, with his military diversions, and fighting, he has lost it. Cherry has a conflict of interest, he sells fighting videos, he doesn't care about the players.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Remember that wrestler that killed his wife and children - He had the brain of an 80 year old - massive trauma-

Are we so much into blood and circuses that when we know long term injuries occur we just ignore the?

Hi Goober.. I just saw this post.

If memory serves, the guy's name was Benoit (I think) and his drastic actions were highly influenced by his prolonged and severe use of steroids.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Sure, that's fine that he wasn't hired as a fighter... I get it... However, the fact is that Rypien desired to participate in this game and was compensated to a level that he felt was acceptable. He took the money ($700k/year) in exchange for the delivery of a service to the team.

That said, the reality in this issue relates to the individual responsibilities that each and every person in society assumes.

All athletes, professional or otherwise, make the individual decision to participate in that sport. All of these sports (both contact and non-contact) have certain repercussions and consequences. Blaming the owners or the league is ridiculous; really, why not blame their pee wee coach or how about their parents for neglect and abuse?

The sooner that these guys accept responsibility for their decisions, the sooner they can move onto finding a treatment that will placate their condition.

I don't recall any NHL players blaming the NHL for anything concerning their injuries or head injuries.
Rypien loved hockey as all of the hockey players do, that is how they became good enough to be hired to
play at the NHL level. He didn't take the money, he earned the money, just like anyone doing a job; who
has negotiated with an employer does.

Each and every hockey player did assume the responsibility that comes from being a hockey player, which
includes the risks, and they aren't whining about it now.

Some ex hockey players have come forward now, as new information is being learned,
from the medical community, and a few of those players have their opinions and
feelings of how 'they' think being an enforcer in the game caused them to have
problems, and that could be true in some cases, (not rypien's), and if they believe
that, so be it, but they aren't complaining to the NHL, calling it their fault.

Perhaps those complaints by players belong to the NFL, not the NHL.

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I certain that he would have experienced multiple concussions. However, that connection is anecdotal in terms of the tie between a concussion (or multiple) and mental illness.

I'll point to skiers once again. Chances are that they will experience one (or a number) of concussions in any given ski season, but we don't see a materially higher # of those that suffer from mental illness in that population.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Remember when they fired him before? He said some stuff about Quebec and they turfed him for it.

Then they went to Quebec to get the reaction of "the man on the street" to Cherry, what he'd said, and on the firing.

Number one response-"Who's Don Cherry?"

Kinda says it all really.

Is this what you are looking for SLM?