Time To Fire Don Cherry Off CBC

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
How is it possible an individual can become so hated while doing hockey commentary?

I ...

don't understand.

Look at it this way.....The guy is openly "Conservative" except in his clothes;-)
And he supports the troops....

Tell me again....that you're suprised at the reaction of left leaning folks in this forum:smile:

Now that you know that.....you will come to hate him too. i'm sure:lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Look at it this way.....The guy is openly "Conservative" except in his clothes;-)
And he supports the troops....

Tell me again....that you're suprised at the reaction of left leaning folks in this forum:smile:

Now that you know that.....you will come to hate him too. i'm sure:lol:

I doubt if hatred is the right word. I support the troops too. Cherry is just so full of himself to the point of being laughable.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Bear, if Cherry was a good player, he would have kept playing. You want to bring me into it, feel free. I never claimed to be a hockey player. You like him, go ahead and like him.

Now it's a left vs right political thing. That's hilarious.

The guy's an old hockey guy, who likes fights. And he gets viewers to watch his thing. He used to make lots of money selling videos of fights, and whining about french players or european players. Fine, that's okay; some sports channels use good looking blondes, some use loudmouths. It's all about keeping people watching the ads during intermissions. If that works for CBC, that's a good thing. Keeps those whiners from crying about subsidizing the lefty CBC, you know.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I'd say it's time people that don't want to see or hear him, stop torturing themselves and stop watching him. Pretty simple.

Or they could join folks who complain about their tax dollars spent on and by CBC...

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Or they could join folks who complain about their tax dollars spent on and by CBC...

CBC has tonnes of **** that my tax dollars are wasted on. Other than Mercer or 22 Minutes or HNIC their entire lineup is a wasteland of wasted money. Ironically, HNIC is the one show that does not use taxpayer dollars. It makes its costs and then some back in advertising. Part of that is due to the huge ratings success of Mr. Cherry.

Now if you want to start a thread on how the CBC should be privitized/sold, I would fully support you on that. But that has absolutly nothing to do with Mr. Cherry.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
CBC has tonnes of **** that my tax dollars are wasted on.

Yeah, perhaps you missed the point...people who object to their taxes being used on programs they don't like. They don't have to watch or listen to any CBC programming if they object...derp.

Ironically, HNIC is the one show that does not use taxpayer dollars. It makes its costs and then some back in advertising. Part of that is due to the huge ratings success of Mr. Cherry.

Now if you want to start a thread on how the CBC should be privitized/sold, I would fully support you on that. But that has absolutly nothing to do with Mr. Cherry.
Ironically, CBC as a whole increases value in the Canadian economy...Don't need a new thread, one exists already. I'll quote the post that's relevant:

Some evidence for the do-nothing approach:

http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/about/Economic-Impact-Deloitte.pdf
Key findings:
We estimate that the contributions of CBC/Radio-Canada to the Canadian economy, or the Gross Value Added ("GVA"), in 2010 was $3.7 billion, arising from an expenditure of $1.7 billion.
Pays for itself and then some.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
And one player that said that he didn't say those things apparently did say those things.;)

Cherry can be a little abrasive from time to time, but I think he's entertaining to watch(and does bring across some good points).

not in the same way cherry said he did

I doubt if hatred is the right word. I support the troops too. Cherry is just so full of himself to the point of being laughable.

that 'support the troops'statement always seems to come into it, as though because he visits the troops,
and good for him, means he supports them more than others, 'nope' not true.

I'd say it's time people that don't want to see or hear him, stop torturing themselves and stop watching him. Pretty simple.

I'd say, like me, many haven't watched him in years, the latest crap he is spewing is all over the news,
don't have to watch him to know the story, and he was quoted on the news, so I have
heard what he said from his lips, although I had to immediately turn down the volume
on the radio to save my ears.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
not in the same way cherry said he did

that 'support the troops'statement always seems to come into it, as though because he visits the troops,
and good for him, means he supports them more than others, 'nope' not true.

Well, one good thing about Cherry- he likes fighters! :lol: (I always try to find good in a person) :lol:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I'm competely sick of the whining, politically correct crescendo that want a kinder gentler game of hockey.. where everybody gets together for a group hug. Don Cherry speaks for me, but like most public personnages who take individualistic views on rugged, masculine endeavours, instead of the sissified temper of the times, he's puts himself in extreme peril.

Ask the Rogers Sportsnet anchor (Damian Goddard) who was summarily fired for tweeting that he supported traditional marriage in a NY legislative vote, by way of his Catholic faith, instead of the homosexual affirmation that permeates modern mores.

Don Cherry is a breath of fresh air from the generic, insipid neurotics who frankly inundate all of media characterisation of men, from sitcoms, to movies to sports hosts. Any one who challenges that is so rare now, that it shocks the sensibilities of all who have been brainwashed into thinking this represents the real male personna in our society.. the 'sensitive' guy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
he should be part of one of his 'rockem sockem' videos, which are going the way of the dodo bird, along
with him.

Don Cherry was fairly successful as a coach, but the game of hockey has changed since he was
in the game. His 'rockem sockem' style is no longer valid and hasn't been for decades.

itsmesean

Oct 7, 2011
vancouver
I'm competely sick of the whining, politically correct crescendo that want a kinder gentler game of hockey.. where everybody gets together for a group hug. Don Cherry speaks for me, but like most public personnages who take individualistic views on rugged, masculine endeavours, instead of the sissified temper of the times, he's puts himself in extreme peril.

Ask the Rogers Sportsnet anchor (Damian Goddard) who was summarily fired for tweeting the he supported traditional marriage in a NY legislative vote, by way of his Catholic faith, instead of the homosexual affirmation that permeates modern mores.

Don Cherry is a breath of fresh from the generic, insipid neurotics who frankly inundate all of media characterisation of men, from sitcoms, to movies to sports hosts. Any one who challenges that is so rare now, that it shocks the sensibilities of all who have been brainwashed into thinking this represents a real male personna in our society.. the 'sensitive' guy. :rolleyes:
I love hard nosed Hockey, nothing better than intense action. I don't see your point about sexual Orientation?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I love hard nosed Hockey, nothing better than intense action. I don't see your point about sexual Orientation?

The point was the Damian Goddard took a stand against a pervasive politically correct viewpoint of our times, stated in a personal opinion protected by freedom of expression.. and was summarily fired for it by Rogers Sportsnet.

You can't see a correspondence between this and the clamour to fire Don Cherry??.. it has the same roots. A tyrannical conformity has established itself as to how Sports reporting can be expressed.. like it has in so many aspects of public opinion.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Ask the Rogers Sportsnet anchor (Damian Goddard) who was summarily fired for tweeting that he supported traditional marriage in a NY legislative vote, by way of his Catholic faith, instead of the homosexual affirmation that permeates modern mores.

Don Cherry is a breath of fresh air from the generic, insipid neurotics who frankly inundate all of media characterisation of men, from sitcoms, to movies to sports hosts. Any one who challenges that is so rare now, that it shocks the sensibilities of all who have been brainwashed into thinking this represents the real male personna in our society.. the 'sensitive' guy. :rolleyes:

The game is faster and tougher than it used to be. Modern elbow pads are serious weapons as witnessed by the spate of concussions we are seeing. The NHL has seen fit to hire Shanahan to try to cut down the number of head shots. Sensible
rather than "sensitive"

itsmesean

Oct 7, 2011
vancouver
The point was the Damian Goddard took a stand against a pervasive politically correct viewpoint of our times, stated in a personal opinion protected by freedom of expression.. and was summarily fired for it by Rogers Sportsnet.

You can't see a correspondence between this and the clamour to fire Don Cherry??.. it has the same roots. A tyrannical conformity has established itself as to how Sports reporting can be expressed.. like it has in so many aspects of public opinion.
I think don is not genuine; he is always trying to shock people. He needs to think first (or get a new writer) Do you remember jimmy the greek? This type of sports commentary is nothing new; people get tired of it after a while. It adds no value to the game of hockey. I don’t care if don gets fired or not, he is irrelevant.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I think don is not genuine; he is always trying to shock people. He needs to think first (or get a new writer) Do you remember jimmy the greek? This type of sports commentary is nothing new; people get tired of it after a while. It adds no value to the game of hockey. I don’t care if don gets fired or not, he is irrelevant.

I disagree - With him you are seeing the real McCoy - He also supports a number of charities raising funds. I get a tad ticked but i also agree with him at times.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The bottom line is N.H.L. hockey as it's been played for the past 20 years is killing players, case in point Probert.