Anyone following the Penticton B.C. missing couple story?

AnotherMother

Nominee Member
Apr 7, 2011
Earth
She was found alive in the van after having spent 49 days waiting for her husband to get help. They waited three days before he left the van to go walk the road back? She has stated that she is not optomistic about his fate. The van was found on a logging road they had taken off the beaten path ended up at the at the 5,200 ft level. She lost 30 pounds. Ate trail mix candy that they had in the van. Slept a lot. Got out of the vehicle to get water at a creek and went back to the van. She was not injured she was not trapped bound to the vehicle. She kept a journal? of her ordeal? 49 days on a road that was 9 miles from a ranch. A through road it was called. I lived in the bush all my life. My family, I asked my mother is she would have stayed in the vehicle on the 10 mile into the bush road from another crossroad for 49 days if she was not injured and was concerned about dad's well being to see what had happened to him while trying to get help for her. I would be more concerned for him and on that cleared road than writing in a Journal. One my mother she said no way would she have had him leave her behind out there no injuries they were both out of there. Two it was a road a path out. They had a path in. I would have been so worried for my loved one that no road would keep me there to have waited starving myself for 49 days and slept and drank from a creek and kept a journal about it. Because I did not think I was going to make it out alive?
She was not injured. It will be interesting to see the ravine photos of the vehicle and just how stuck in the mud they were. I know it had snowed during the duration. People have survived mountain top plane crashes and obstacles far greater than described here. I am happy she was found alive but there are a lot of questions of circumstance what happened to her husband? 14 kilometers. From the gas station they were last seen at they drove 400 kilomeeters to the spot they were stuck. They were on the way to a scheduled trade show. The date of the trade show was not mentioned in the time line as well. To be off the beaten path when you have a prior engagement to get to? Anyway my mom is 60. Their age she said she would have gone with him seeing it was a road in and road out no injuries. Has there been a prior post on this apologies if so. Would you have stayed or been more concerned about your loved one? The they were not camping type people. What ever it is your loved one out there I' d be worried as hell and want to find him no matter what not write a journal for 49 days.

AnotherMother

Nominee Member
Apr 7, 2011
Earth
Hunger/dehydration can cause people to make some poor choices I've made a few m'self.
Hunger and dehydration if you are starving yourself though? You RATION food though when you are expecting to be stuck somewhere for some time. The van was stuck. Not her. 7 weeks is beyond a poor choice. I just spoke with a bush pilot about this. You ration when you are expecting to be somewhere for sometime he said. Not when you have a road that was driven in on to walk out on and you are not injured. It was a one way up to that level back down the same way. That was his comment. He suggested the search grid be from the gas station they were last seen at to the location of the van to find him. One article states they sat for three days before he left the vehicle to go for help. What did they both eat then? Those three days before he left her out there? 14 k 10 miles 4 hours to walk on a road a good clip. Been there done that on logging roads. These guys were on ATV's and road that far to get cell phone use. I hope the poor guy is found alive.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
While I am not especially hopeful that this will be the case, I too hope the man is found safe. I think it's quite amazing that the woman was found alive and relatively unharmed.

But for the life of me I will never understand this tendency that some people have to split up when they are lost. It just doesn't make sense to me.

AnotherMother

Nominee Member
Apr 7, 2011
Earth
While I am not especially hopeful that this will be the case, I too hope the man is found safe. I think it's quite amazing that the woman was found alive and relatively unharmed.

But for the life of me I will never understand this tendency that some people have to split up when they are lost. It just doesn't make sense to me.
The son is giving interviews it is still to traumatic for his mom to talk about ? She took little walks during her days out there said and kept herself busy writing a journal everday and read her bible now. During interviews the son calls him Al not dad? I am being harsh . The van was not in a heavily wooded area the road was on rolloing foothills a wide path near a ravine. To say I thought I was at deaths door and read my bible waiting to be found. The news is making this out to be a harrowing ordeal. She sat in her van! Will we be reading what she wrote in her Journal at all ? I am sorry but does she wants us to think that she is that stupid? Smart enough to run a business and be on the way to a trade show. Excavating business. Digging in the mud business? I am just upset at the lack of what she did not do on her part to locate her husband in time to find him alive. Sitting, non injured. She has also said she slept on the way in on that road. But they had decided to go that route for a scenic drive. So does that mean you want the scenic route to look at then? After all in another country. To many contradicting comments coming out. We had last summer a father that took his sons out to the of the beaten path area. Tofino. He was a well off to do business man. They shot him. His own family! Out in a wooded area that they had not been to before. Just makes me wonder when you here another story off into the woods we go.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
only thing I have to say is........ you're a fu cking idiot. How DARE you judge the woman when YOU have not been in her shoes. How DARE you imply that it is somehow her fault.

AnotherMother

Nominee Member
Apr 7, 2011
Earth
only thing I have to say is........ you're a fu cking idiot. How DARE you judge the woman when YOU have not been in her shoes. How DARE you imply that it is somehow her fault.
If you sit for 49 days when you are not injured and wait. Only 9 miles to the highway. If you were my husband I would be desperately looking for you not taking little walks wondering where you are if you had not come back by the next day! I would be more worried for your well being as my other half you are and what had happened to you not waiting for 49 days to pass. We have had to sleep in the vehicle on a washed out logging road road we slept in the car waited until the morning cold and damp on a logging road. It was 10 miles of dirt road into the bush to get to town from where we were. I have been there! Our neighbours son was misssing out there 17 years old they found his body about 40 yards off in the underbrush after search and rescue had been there for weeks. He was right there. No way would I have stayed in that vehicle for that many days. My dumb ass brother took him two days two mountains we figured they had been over he and a friend walked out found some loggers working after having slept on the mountain lost mushroom picking found there way out. Cold and wet and hungry. So yes we have been trapped stuck and slept in the vehicle but paid a little more attention I guess in the middle of the night with the rain and the thick woods. We just never let anyone ever wander off alone. It is easy to blame when it seems like common sense should prevail.

If you sit for 49 days when you are not injured and wait. Only 9 miles to the highway. If you were my husband I would be desperately looking for you not taking little walks wondering where you are if you had not come back by the next day! I would be more worried for your well being as my other half you are and what had happened to you not waiting for 49 days to pass. We have had to sleep in the vehicle on a washed out logging road road we slept in the car waited until the morning cold and damp on a logging road. It was 10 miles of dirt road into the bush to get to town from where we were. I have been there! Our neighbours son was misssing out there 17 years old they found his body about 40 yards off in the underbrush after search and rescue had been there for weeks. He was right there. No way would I have stayed in that vehicle for that many days. My dumb ass brother took him two days two mountains we figured they had been over he and a friend walked out found some loggers working after having slept on the mountain lost mushroom picking found there way out. Cold and wet and hungry. So yes we have been trapped stuck and slept in the vehicle but paid a little more attention I guess in the middle of the night with the rain and the thick woods. We just never let anyone ever wander off alone. It is easy to blame when it seems like common sense should prevail.
So I really hope that makes me not a ****ing idiot for knowing to stay together

And if I type the fu with a space before the rest of the word I can swear on here too wow

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is back country road for one thing, and we don't know what the weather
was like for the first few days. Secondly her husband likely told her to stay
with the van as he would be back. I think he was a brave man, he didn't know
where he was but was intent on saving his wife, even if he might have known
he wasn't going to make it. Secondly if he had gone in the opposite direction
he was only five miles from a farm according to news reports tonight.
I think they were both not thinking straight to be taking back roads at that time
of year in an unknown mountain area. If you saw any video clips tonight on
the news, what was up ahead was even worse had they made it any further.

As for blaming the woman or the man, its inappropriate, none of us were with
them so we don't know the discussion. They were committed to each other
and had been together a long time through thick and thin. Sometimes serious
decisions have to be made. I know that all too well. A couple of years back
my wife was in ICU and after five days they came with a hard decision. She
might make it if they unhooked the breathing tubes and she might not. The
problem was once they pulled them out if she couldn't breathe on her own it
was too late to turn back. If they left them in place she might never get any
better. She has COPD and it flares up, she never wanted to be hooked up
for life, and she wasn't conscious. I made the decision to pull the tubes out
and she struggled for a while but made it. Sometimes hard decisions have
to be made and they need to be made now, the problem is often people don't
have the courage to make them. This man made the decision, he made
and no one can be blamed for that.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
Another Mother
gerryh is absolutely right. You are an f-ing idiot. You have a lot of nerve judging this woman! You have no clue; maybe she has medical/physical issues that would prevent her from walking very far. I don’t care what her age is. And I care even less what you would do in what you think would be that situation.
(Mrs. Chretien is the same age as my sister. With physical issues my sister has, she can’t hardly walk to the end of the city block.)
As far as your comment.. “the son calls him Al not dad” What business is it of yours what he calls him!?!

AnotherMother

Nominee Member
Apr 7, 2011
Earth
he wasn't going to make it. Secondly if he had gone in the opposite direction
I think they were both not thinking straight to be taking back roads at that time

them so we don't know the discussion. They were committed to each other
and had been together a long time through thick and thin. Sometimes serious
I am sending you a Hug right now. It is hard to say what happens not to blame her for what he did is brave. But tragedy. I think I would be a broken person over loosing him and want to find him thats all.

Another Mother
gerryh is absolutely right. You are an f-ing idiot. You have a lot of nerve judging this woman! You have no clue; maybe she has medical/physical issues that would prevent her from walking very far. I don’t care what her age is. And I care even less what you would do in what you think would be that situation.
(Mrs. Chretien is the same age as my sister. With physical issues my sister has, she can’t hardly walk to the end of the city block.)
As far as your comment.. “the son calls him Al not dad” What business is it of yours what he calls him!?!
My mom is 60. She said no way would she stay there in a vehicle waiting and she would have bundled up and been walking with her bum knee and she as well, mom she has a heart condition. Mom says she would have run out of her heart meds if she had sat out there that long. Any investigative police officer would look at every angle when there is a missing person. Even family comments made until something turns up. The weather was wet and raining while they were there wind and rain had hampered flying search and rescue. As for asking who's business it is about his name funny we all make it our business coming on here. About the name thing my police investigative sisters mind brought up that question watching the story unfold here. The social media has made everyones lives every one elses business and you questioning that one the News has made it our business. No name calling that shows that yes there are questions to yet be answered. He is a Missing Person.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Oh grow up

You and perhaps even I may not agree with his position or his opinion on this subject, but he has every right to question or comment on this situation just as much as those giving well wishes and kissing her ass.

It's in the news, it's being shoved in our faces by all of the media that I come across.... as far as I'm concerned, her "Ordeal" is open to discussion and debate.

Don't like it?

Don't get involved.

Offended that someone is questioning the details of the story?

Too bad.

Added:

Oh and the personal insults don't help your argument.

he wasn't going to make it.

That assumption is equal to the assumptions presented by Mother.

You may think he was a brave man..... I personally think he was an idiot.

Bravery doesn't always equal to intelligence.

How many stories and news reports have you come across over the years of a couple getting lost in the woods and when one person decides to go out and get help alone.... they generally end up dead?

I've come across piles of these stories over the years. You either stay put together, or you leave together, especially if neither of you are injured and/or you have supplies.

She obviously had enough supplies to survive that long on her own.... what did her husband have for supplies when he went for his long trek back to civilization?

Who knows?

Secondly if he had gone in the opposite direction

Indeed... complete and utter stupidity to be venturing off on some logging road, during that time of season, in an area you're not familiar with, in a van.... all just to look at the scenery.

them so we don't know the discussion.

I don't believe I saw anybody blaming anyone.... just pointing out stupid dumbass decisions & mistakes, as well as contradicting information.

They were committed to each other
and had been together a long time through thick and thin.

Again as someone else pointed out about not being them and not being there, how do you know how committed they were to one another? Saying one thing to the media isn't always the same thing in one's own thoughts. An example of this would be that mother from Bridgewater who killed her daughter, dumped her body and then played the media, pleading for help in finding whoever was responsible for her going missing.

Sometimes serious

Sorry, I don't see how your personal experience relates to this situation.

Clearly this situation wasn't as dire and immediate as your situation.... they clearly had shelter, they had supplies, neither of them were injured, Both could have walked out on their own, in either direction and made it back to civilization.

They made the stupid decision to venture off the beaten path using a vehicle not exactly designed for the un-beaten path, they're the ones who got stuck because of a stupid decision, he was the one who decided after a while to wander off to "Get Help" and she either made the decision or agreed to sit in the van and write some haikus.

I'm not about to suggest she killed her husband and I'm not going to claim he left her there to die and ran off with some woman at the end of the road..... but this story isn't heroic in anyway..... it was a stupid situation that shouldn't have happened in the first place. They're twice my age and I would have thought experience came with age.... hell, I knew well not to do what they did back when I was in Jr. High School.

Congrats for her surviving, but there's nothing heroic about this story.

With any luck, she'll learn something from this experience she didn't learn before.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Never ever ever split up. Ever.

Never ever.

Don't do it.

Both would be alive today. PERIOD

There is nothing to argue.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Another Mother

Big friggin deal... my grandmother is over 80 and still takes the grand kids out to the camp on an outboard motor boat across the lake. She hauls the boat out and in all on her own, she gathers her own fire wood, cooks and does more then most 60 or even 40 year olds I've come across. She spends most of her time out there then she does at her home in-town.

Meanwhile in my old apartment building I lived in before moving to Australia, there were 60-some year old women who did nothing but sit down stairs with their walkers, gossip and suck air through their oxygen tanks.

The point being is that you're bitching out Mother for making assumptions based on his experiences and who he knows when you're making your own damn assumptions based on what you know and your own family..... so stop being such a damn hypocrite and calling people Fu*king Idiots for doing exactly what you're doing..... because that only makes you look like more of an fu*king idiot.

Never ever ever split up. Ever.

Never ever.

Don't do it.

Both would be alive today. PERIOD

There is nothing to argue.

Exactly... if there is anything to take out of this situation and others like it.... You don't split up, unless you want one or both of you to end up dead.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Pssst. Mothers aren't "hims".

Exactly... if there is anything to take out of this situation and others like it.... You don't split up, unless you want one or both of you to end up dead.

Another rule thumb when travelling. Toss the GPS your grandkids gave you out the window. If you don't it will tell you to take a shortcut on a logging road up a mountain pass.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There is apparently plenty of room for BC inmates in AB prisons. 5000 women Canada wide will be locked up by year end. What happens to their kids?

Back on track....

Apparently the woman is eating solid foods again.