A National Shame?

Joffen

Nominee Member
Jan 31, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Hey remember when the governor of New Found Land went to the U.S. for heart surgery? I guess he didn't care about his health, huh?

Greensboro, NC-based Steven Feldman, MD, PhD, Professor of Dermatology, Pathology and Public Health Sciences at Wake Forest University School of Medicine and founder of Dr.Score.com , a web site where patients rate their doctors, said: Dead last? I'd like to respectfully disagree with that. While there is certainly a big problem with care for the uninsured in the US, once you get to see a doctor there's no better place in the world to be. Patients largely love their doctors. According to Dr.Score.com , nearly all patients give their doctors ratings of 9 out of a possible 10. Otolaryngologists, in particular, were among the highest rated specialties.

Gerard Gianoli, MD, of Baton Rouge, LA, an ENToday board member, said that Mirror Mirror is largely based on myths, and that if one compares costs of a procedure by country there's not a lot of difference. As for access to health care, he considers the United States superior: Everyone in the US who needs a cochlear implant gets one. Even if you're uninsured, Medicaid or someone else will get it done. Recently a Canadian colleague told Dr. Gianoli that cochlear implants are limited there, that his 2008 surgery schedule is filled, and that Canadians who don't want to wait cross the border for surgery Summing up, Dr. Gianoli compared socialized medicine to oil change insurance-when dollars go to routine procedures, there's little left for big-ticket items.

Joffen

Nominee Member
Jan 31, 2011
Buffalo, NY
CLS, a blogger on Classically Liberal , a classically liberal blog, attacked the erroneous assumptions about the American health care system's costs with gusto: Americans spend more per capita on automobiles than do Nigerians. Is there an American car crisis? Americans spend more per capita than many nations because we have a higher standard of living. CLS pointed out that the same Americans who are considered well-off when buying cars, chocolate, or cosmetics are considered worse off by advocates of socialized medicine.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
CLS, a blogger on Classically Liberal , a classically liberal blog, attacked the erroneous assumptions about the American health care system's costs with gusto: Americans spend more per capita on automobiles than do Nigerians. Is there an American car crisis? Americans spend more per capita than many nations because we have a higher standard of living. CLS pointed out that the same Americans who are considered well-off when buying cars, chocolate, or cosmetics are considered worse off by advocates of socialized medicine.
And where does it get you?
World Bank, World Development Indicators - Google public data

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Hey remember when the governor of New Found Land went to the U.S. for heart surgery? I guess he didn't care about his health, huh?

governor of Newfoundland????? ROFLMFAO

I'll point it out again...."governor"? and you grew up in Canada and went to school here? What do you do in new york....dig ditches....welfare?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
WHO rankings of health delivery systems:

1 France
2 Italy
3 San Marino
4 Andorra
5 Malta
6 Singapore
7 Spain
8 Oman
9 Austria
10 Japan
11 Norway
12 Portugal
13 Monaco
14 Greece
15 Iceland
16 Luxembourg
17 Netherlands
18 United Kingdom
19 Ireland
20 Switzerland
21 Belgium
22 Colombia
23 Sweden
24 Cyprus
25 Germany
26 Saudi Arabia
27 United Arab Emirates
28 Israel
29 Morocco
30 Canada
31 Finland
32 Australia
33 Chile
34 Denmark
35 Dominica
36 Costa Rica
37 USA
38 Slovenia
39 Cuba

See, the French are doing something right....Wow...the US is just ahead of Cuba.

How is it that a nation spends the most per capita on health at $ 4,631 has such a low ranking?

Not the best money managers that's for sure.

Btw....Canada spends $2,535.00 per capita

Perhaps you can provide the criteria used for the rankings of each country. Every country is different, salaries are different, typical and prevalent diseases are different, the average age of patients is different, the health systems are different. As I used to try to pound into the head of the world's most omniscient "knowitall", statistics in many instances are absolutely useless or at best have to be taken with a chunk of salt.

I'll point it out again...."governor"? and you grew up in Canada and went to school here? What do you do in new york....dig ditches....welfare?

Actually, I have quite a lot of respect for guys who dig ditches or do any manual labour. I somehow don't think he does that. I'm betting more of a bureaucratic role.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Actually, I have quite a lot of respect for guys who dig ditches or do any manual labour. I somehow don't think he does that. I'm betting more of a bureaucratic role.

You're right, must be welfare.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
''Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics. Anyone can cite some bs statistic and use it to further their agenda.''

Except that these stats came from the most distinguished research institute in the USA. I'm quite sure you have heard of Harvard University, right?

Joffen

Nominee Member
Jan 31, 2011
Buffalo, NY
''Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics. Anyone can cite some bs statistic and use it to further their agenda.''

Except that these stats came from the most distinguished research institute in the USA. I'm quite sure you have heard of Harvard University, right?
What stats were those? A lot of stats floatin' around this thread...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Except for one tiny little problem- they're ranked 37/39. Wouldn't they adjust the statistics for a better showing? :smile: Or at least list about 300 more countries.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Oh I see.

Only what you believe is a real freedom counts. By all means, I will admit, we do not have the same gun-related freedoms Americans have. But that is still an individual freedom just as pot-smoking, prostitution, and homosexuality are. So, unless you want to accept that little fact, I couldn't care less if you want to free any more of your speech, but you'll still be on the losing end of this argument.
JOFFEN
Government power comes from the people. Man is born free.
That statement is above what the majority of the participants of this thread can consume .

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Yeah, they surveyed 100 people, 80 were unelected government officials and the other 20 were taken into the next room and shot in the back of the head.

Nice try tubby.