B.P.'s Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill Thread (it's all here).....

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
L Gilbert, your sanctimonious lecture was well-received, though no guarantee that it will be complied with, since only a fool would agree with Obama's dictatorial shutting down the livelihood of thousands of people.

Compare the number of oil wells to those that failed.

Then count the deaths on the highways.

Do you propose a six-month driving moratorium?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
L Gilbert, your sanctimonious lecture was well-received, though no guarantee that it will be complied with, since only a fool would agree with Obama's dictatorial shutting down the livelihood of thousands of people.

Does a car accident in Texas affect the property values of homeowners in Florida? Does a car accident in Texas affect the livlihood of fishers in Alabama? Does a car accident in Texas destroy sensitive ecosystems in Louisiana? How many car accidents does it take to add up to just $1 billion in damages, far below the current total for BP, and far far less than the eventual total?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Sanctimonious? That's hilarious.
Better to shut down an obviously defective industry and potentially save thousands of livelihoods, ecological catastrophes, etc. until the defectiveness can be remedied than carry on with massive risk factors, yes.
Would you go happily digging around in a mine if you weren't sure the supports would hold?

As far as I've been able to discover, they ALL leak.

As if this analogy is relevant:
almost 2900 in 2004

Nope. A vehicle collision affects very few people. Oil spills/leaks affect thousands if not 10s of thousands for decades. Besides that, there is a constant effort to make road and vehicle safety better and better. There isn't that same effort put into drilling.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Check out this wave on an Alabama beach, with oil polluted from a car cra..., errr I mean BP oil well:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Besides that, there is a constant effort to make road and vehicle safety better and better. There isn't that same effort put into drilling.

That is patently false. There have been huge leaps and bounds made in drilling safety, both in terms of men and environment. Hubby's company's whole reason of existence is to service the drilling industry, and part of how they do that is by coming up with new and better tech for the oil patch. What we have here is a failure of the oil company to be willing to spend time and money to implement those efforts.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
That is patently false. There have been huge leaps and bounds made in drilling safety, both in terms of men and environment. Hubby's company's whole reason of existence is to service the drilling industry, and part of how they do that is by coming up with new and better tech for the oil patch. What we have here is a failure of the oil company to be willing to spend time and money to implement those efforts.
Then what hubby said isn't patently false. The large amount of effort is only true for SOME companies.
I can't think of any car company that doesn't constantly try improving its safety measures.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Then what hubby said isn't patently false. The large amount of effort is only true for SOME companies.
I can't think of any car company that doesn't constantly try improving its safety measures.

No, the industry in total tries to improve. Even car companies fall victims to taking the cheap route sometimes. The result is just typically less catastrophic. It doesn't mean the effort to improve isn't there in the drilling industry.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
No, the industry in total tries to improve. Even car companies fall victims to taking the cheap route sometimes. The result is just typically less catastrophic. It doesn't mean the effort to improve isn't there in the drilling industry.
ok :)

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
I just Realized We're ****ed!

By: Kelly Thomas

Tags:
So far the residents of the Gulf states have been relatively lucky as the majority of the massive oil spill has remained offshore by 5-10 miles .
Well that's all about to change...
Hurricane ALEX is already sending out massive feeder bands into the gulf that are blowing all that oil straight onshore...
Even if this hurricane hits mexico the feeder bands will still push ALL THE OIL ONSHORE...
THIS WEEK

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I just Realized We're ****ed!

By: Kelly Thomas

Tags:
So far the residents of the Gulf states have been relatively lucky as the majority of the massive oil spill has remained offshore by 5-10 miles .
Well that's all about to change...
Hurricane ALEX is already sending out massive feeder bands into the gulf that are blowing all that oil straight onshore...
Even if this hurricane hits mexico the feeder bands will still push ALL THE OIL ONSHORE...
THIS WEEK
Apparently, Kelly isn't terribly quick at figuring out consequences. Also, apparently she didn't like my criticism because my IP addy has been banned, even though I didn't criticize Kelly until after it was banned.

Why should he, Obama (EPA) offered him no help when he asked for aid. He knows he is on his own to protect Louisiana.
So it is, "You won't hep me, so Ah'm not gonna tell ya what Ah'm a gonna do" as he stamps his feet and holds his breath till he turns blue. And this Jindal is how old? 4?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Why should he, Obama (EPA) offered him no help when he asked for aid. He knows he is on his own to protect Louisiana.

Why should he be more transparent? Is that a serious question?

As to being left on his own, maybe he should spend more time on the disaster, and less time bitching and moaning about Washington.

Two months after getting approval, he's only using 17.55% of the National Guard available...

On his own....yeah right. He's politicing like the rest of them. This is his chance to get back onto the National stage after making a fool of himself.

Last edited:

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Apparently, Kelly isn't terribly quick at figuring out consequences. Also, apparently she didn't like my criticism because my IP addy has been banned, even though I didn't criticize Kelly until after it was banned.

So it is, "You won't hep me, so Ah'm not gonna tell ya what Ah'm a gonna do" as he stamps his feet and holds his breath till he turns blue. And this Jindal is how old? 4?

Why should he open up any books, he did nothing wrong and it was Obama who is supposed to be running a open administration. (which is behind closed doors)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Why should he open up any books, he did nothing wrong and it was Obama who is supposed to be running a open administration. (which is behind closed doors)
I wasn't saying he should do anything, although he'd be a fool not to. What I was saying is that his reaction to the Big O not giving him any help was childish. lol Besides that, did you read what Tonington said? This issue is rife with political posturing from hell to breaky.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Why should he be more transparent? Is that a serious question?

As to being left on his own, maybe he should spend more time on the disaster, and less time bitching and moaning about Washington.

Two months after getting approval, he's only using 17.55% of the National Guard available...

On his own....yeah right. He's politicing like the rest of them. This is his chance to get back onto the National stage after making a fool of himself.

It is his National Guard, financed by the state if he uses them. (not a rich state) The Fed. Gov. is not to quick to make payments to those in need like BP. He is using the National Guard to build levies that the EPA refused to give permission for till recently.

I wasn't saying he should do anything, although he'd be a fool not to. What I was saying is that his reaction to the Big O not giving him any help was childish. lol Besides that, did you read what Tonington said? This issue is rife with political posturing from hell to breaky.
Your right there, he should have just done what he knew had to be done and delt with the Gov. later on.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It is his National Guard, financed by the state if he uses them. (not a rich state) The Fed. Gov. is not to quick to make payments to those in need like BP. He is using the National Guard to build levies that the EPA refused to give permission for till recently.

Your right there, he should have just done what he knew had to be done and delt with the Gov. later on.
Yup.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It is his National Guard, financed by the state if he uses them.

If it were his National Guard, he wouldn't need to file a request with Washington.

The Fed. Gov. is not to quick to make payments to those in need like BP.
The Feds shouldn't be paying for BP's mistakes. BP should be paying for that.

He is using the National Guard to build levies that the EPA refused to give permission for till recently.
So, 25 days ago is recently? He is using not even 1/5th of the National Guard troops at his disposal, and he's had more than 3 weeks. Then the Feds stopped Louisiana because it was creating one ecological disaster to avoid another. The Feds gave them one week to dredge sands from the Chandaleur Islands while the pipelines Louisiana said it needed to dredge from elsewhere were constructed. That time has come and gone. People need to be accountable when they say something is going to be done. There is none of that. Jindal even vetoed it.

So, again, what is he thinking.

Not even 20% of the National Guard are being utilized.

Get real Jindal...

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
http://www.rikiott.com/pdf/9500A MSDS.pdf
Corexit EC9500A has a flash point of about 180 deg F so it should also evaporate quite quickly. Given the slow speed of this current storm that should mean any air-born particles will stay together more than if the winds were from a F-3 or higher. If they are clumped then dust, precipitation, and cold temperatures (north winds) might mean they touch the ground in a concentrated form where the damage is quite severe for plants and other living things. The lower forms of life will die faster but humans and larger will still be damaged internally.

With light winds the heavy oil wouldn't go any further than salt spray. How far inland is that with a F-4 wind?