What to do about global warming

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
I just told you what needs to be done.... anything beyond what I said is a complete waste of time because anything you and a select few people can think of doing will be countered by the greater majority of people who are not doing what you're planning to do, thus futile.
So you're saying it's impossible? I think so too, but not for the same reason, although I agree you have a point.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Uh, Anna, leaving aside the question of whether it's polluting, the question is how to reduce emissions by 80%. How to quit polluting is the question.
Actually, the only question I found was this; "So how have all those efforts to cut emissions worked so far, what are the actual results of all those $billions spent on "saving the planet"?"
That is an easy question to answer. Not enough people are interested in the well-being of the planet. Too many people think it is too big an issue for them to have an effect on so they don't make an effort. Most companies are only interested if it doesn't cut into their profits. Some people just don't care to begin with. Most entities can't see very far beyond their noses. And so on.
So, so far the efforts we've been using don't work.
How to quit polluting is to get people interested in being clean, and when enough people are interested, then companies, gov'ts, etc. will be pressured into smartening up.

Last edited:

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
No, you do.

I stated this was a flame thread for the purpose of feeding your ego.

You admitted that to be true.
Not quite. The purpose of this thread was to show what the real results of fighting climate change are, and also to give alarmists such as yourself a chance to demonstrate how emissions could actually be cut, even though I'm fairly certain no-one will be able to. I would be very impressed if someone could. Nothing to do with feeding my ego.

Since it is true why should I or anyone else participate in something that isn't about finding a solution as opposed to ripping any solution apart.

Given the title discussing solutions is what this thread should be about and not some ego trip for self gratification.
I would be very happy if others would discuss solutions.

Like I said, I am perfectly willing to give some ideas for the purpose of idea exchange, seems you have no intention of doing that.
I've already stated my opinion as being the same Lomborgs.

When you do I will be happy to get involved.
No you won't. You'll always come up with some excuse to dodge the question.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I don't think it's impossible to get people to quit polluting at the rates we have been, but it won't be done in one or two decades. And I think it's extremely stupid and short sighted not to try.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Not quite. The purpose of this thread was to show what the real results of fighting climate change are, and also to give alarmists such as yourself a chance to demonstrate how emissions could actually be cut, even though I'm fairly certain no-one will be able to.
Hubby and I already have. Our environmental impact is a fraction of what it used to be.

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
Actually, the only question I found was this; "So how have all those efforts to cut emissions worked so far, what are the actual results of all those $billions spent on "saving the planet"?"

If you'd read just a little farther you would have seen the following:

Feel free to suggest any method by which governments, corporations, organizations and individuals can achieve that goal.

referring to the previously mentioned goal of reducing emissions by 80%

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
I don't think it's impossible to get people to quit polluting at the rates we have been, but it won't be done in one or two decades. And I think it's extremely stupid and short sighted not to try.
I'll assume that by "quit polluting" you mean reduce CO2 emissions by 80% world wide.

Try by doing what?

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
Hubby and I already have. Our environmental impact is a fraction of what it used to be.
Yes I've heard that. But the larger questions still is, how do we reduce emissions by 80% worldwide? It's been said that for Canada it would be equivalent to eliminating all transportation, agriculture, manufacturing and industry. People say use solar panels. Sure, no emissions when they produce energy, but the manufacture of them uses more energy than they'll ever produce by their expected fail date. It's not just how much you put out personally, it's also how much is put out making and delivering those products to you.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Not quite. The purpose of this thread was to show what the real results of fighting climate change are, and also to give alarmists such as yourself a chance to demonstrate how emissions could actually be cut, even though I'm fairly certain no-one will be able to. I would be very impressed if someone could. Nothing to do with feeding my ego.

No, the purpose was to find different solutions differing form what has already been suggested or implemented, what you said about waste was a statement, not a question.

I would be very happy if others would discuss solutions.

I know you would, it will feed your ego, the real purpose of this thread.

I've already stated my opinion as being the same Lomborgs.

That is not a solution, that is statement about clean water.

No you won't. You'll always come up with some excuse to dodge the question.

Pot meet kettle.

I merely ask for your own input on the matter as far as solutions go in a hypothetical sense. If you can't, I see no reason to offer anything myself.

Perhaps the thread title should have read:

Hand in your solutions to AGW so I can rip them apart.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

So have I Anna, we had an audit done on both our home and cottage several years ago have since have made many changes.

It has actually saved us money.8O

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yes I've heard that. But the larger questions still is, how do we reduce emissions by 80% worldwide? It's been said that for Canada it would be equivalent to eliminating all transportation, agriculture, manufacturing and industry.
It may be impossible or not right now but if we keep working on the solution, I bet we can do it. Not even giving it a try is just stupid and myopic.
People say use solar panels. Sure, no emissions when they produce energy, but the manufacture of them uses more energy than they'll ever produce by their expected fail date.
Really? How would one prove that? Do you investigate all the companies that produce them?
It's not just how much you put out personally, it's also how much is put out making and delivering those products to you.
Oh gee, that never occurred to us. :roll:

By the way, Les and I made a lot of parts for our own systems out of recyclables and stuff. We realized a long long time ago we didn't have to buy everything new.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
So have I Anna, we had an audit done on both our home and cottage several years ago have since have made many changes.

It has actually saved us money.8O
Yeah, it does tend to be a money-saver.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
We're told global warming is a serious problem caused by our CO2 emissions, that action must be taken immediately to reduce our emissions by 80%, and that we have 10 years.
If the goal is reducing personal emission by 80% and not to 80% then I think it's an impossible goal.
Years ago I got a high efficiency furnace, not to save energy but because the old one was kaput...The old one had tested 75% efficient...the new one 96% efficient which is extremely good....over all 20% less natural gas used...
We also use our vehicle about half as much as the neighbours because we enjoy walking to go shopping and only use the vehicle for heavy articles.
Even if I quit eating beans I don't think we could reduce emissions by 80%..

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
If the goal is reducing personal emission by 80% and not to 80% then I think it's an impossible goal.
Years ago I got a high efficiency furnace, not to save energy but because the old one was kaput...The old one had tested 75% efficient...the new one 96% efficient which is extremely good....over all 20% less natural gas used...
We also use our vehicle about half as much as the neighbours because we enjoy walking to go shopping and only use the vehicle for heavy articles.
Even if I quit eating beans I don't think we could reduce emissions by 80%..

I don't think it is impossible but the time frame is.

Humans have conquered many frontiers this is merely a new one.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
If you really really really want to slow global warming ban all consumer advertisements and anything trendy.

How about banning toys in happy meals.

I have kids, we never get those disposable made in China toys with oil based plastic and small batteries inside.

The way we consume and dispose is sickening when you take a close look at it.

Ever bring something home and have more packaging than the product you bought?:roll:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ever bring something home and have more packaging than the product you bought?:roll:
All the time. They say it is to make it too big to easily shoplift but that BS doesn't fly. It makes the product name bigger and easier to read and buy not shoplift.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Seriously. I'm tired of useless **** and to prove my point the Regina garbage dump is tall enough that you can see Moosejaw on a clear day from up top. (i'm not kidding)
I wouldn't doubt it for a second. There's probably some really good treasure in that heap. It wouldn't be chests of gold and jewels, but probably things of good use otherwise. A friend has had 3 of his last lawnmowers from dumps. One of them just needed new gas lines in it. He also got a weed whacker from the dump and all that was wrong with it was a bent or broken handle.