What to do about global warming

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Right on. A power grid that is tied to a floating useage rate set daily like all commodities. We could have it like the UK where they drop pound coins into meter boxes to cook and heat their home for a few minutes.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
YouTube - Power storage with Flywheels

As the video here explains, one practical, and easy to understand, way to store excess electrical energy is the simple flywheel. High tech mag-lev technology makes it easier to cut friction and drag which kill efficiency, and new superstrong materials like carbon fiber increase the strength and durability, but basically, what you have is a spinning wheel. (think about the playground merry go round that keeps spinning long after you’ve stopped pushing and jumped on..)

But flywheels are just one piece of a huge mosaic of energy storage devices…

One of the most reliable and time tested methods of energy storage is pumped storage, like this facility on Lake Michigan at Ludington, Michigan. In this technique, water is pumped up a hillside to an artificial lake during times of low electrical demand, usually at night. At times of high demand, the water is allowed to fall, and working like a hydro electrical dam, the pumped storage plant captures and generates electrical power from the falling water – freeing stored energy as electricity.

Now this plant’s owners are planning an upgrade of this station, to provide even more storage for a contemplated future in which renewable energy, primarily wind, will play a much larger role in the midwestern electrical grid.
According to WWJ TV:
The plant currently produces enough to power a community of 1.4 million people. The upgrade will enable the facility to meet the electric demand of a community of 1.65 million, while the increased water pumping efficiency will further decrease the plant’s operating costs.

The maintenance and efficiency upgrade will increase the generating capacity of the plant from its current level of 1,872 megawatts to approximately 2,172 MW. The Ludington plant plays an increasingly important role as a storage facility for renewable energy produced during off-peak periods, making renewable energy more affordable and reliable.
As more wind generation is added in the Midwest region, the Ludington plant can be used at night and during other periods when demand for electricity is low to “store” the clean energy until it’s needed by electric customers. The Ludington plant addresses a key challenge of wind energy which is produced intermittently and cannot be stored, with the exception of special facilities like Ludington.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Why don't we just continue to burn clean renewable inorganic hydro carbons? They're going to keep seeping up to the surface anyway. We're going to have to burn it off eventually. AGW is scientific fraud.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

There's two ideas abiotic and biotic, the one requires dead things in ten cubic kilometer compressed chunks the other supposes that everything required to cook hydrocarbons including the raw materials is already in the rocks deep in the planet where the heat and pressure needed to produce hydrocarbons works twenty four seven eon after eon. (Water comes from there as well.) That's what I burn in my car if the dead compressed fish story turns your crank yer welcome to it. You can't prove that you have dead reptiles in your tank. So lack of proof is no impediment to your progress.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
There's two ideas abiotic and biotic, the one requires dead things in ten cubic kilometer compressed chunks the other supposes that everything required to cook hydrocarbons including the raw materials is already in the rocks deep in the planet where the heat and pressure needed to produce hydrocarbons works twenty four seven eon after eon. (Water comes from there as well.) That's what I burn in my car if the dead compressed fish story turns your crank yer welcome to it. You can't prove that you have dead reptiles in your tank. So lack of proof is no impediment to your progress.

But you have to make sure that you are burning hydrocarbons (or turning them into plastics) at a lower rate than they are being created, no matter how they are being created. What is your plan for that? At what rate are they being created?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
But you have to make sure that you are burning hydrocarbons (or turning them into plastics) at a lower rate than they are being created, no matter how they are being created. What is your plan for that? At what rate are they being created?

Well I don't know when or if that production can be exceeded. We will know when and if it ever stops seeping to the suface I guess. If that happens I suppose there will have to be rationing. Since evey bit of hydro carbon on the planet is produced this way and we haven't exhausted the near surface collections yet I'm inclined to think it is inexhaustable by mere human consumption. And seeing as how I'm a conspiracy theorist I'm also inclined to suspect that peak oil is a manufactured crisis created to maximize every drop of profit from the sale of abundent oil reserves. My twisted logic says to me it's a lot easier to keep your hand on the supply valve and thereby inflate the price than it is to introduce new supplies in a competative environment and therby drive the returns to the producer down on a barrel by barrel basis. Whatever the case hydrocarbons have been positively proven to be the product of heat and pressure on deep rock formations and have nothing whatever to do with dead schools of fish. I'm surprized no one bit on the water comment yet. The space snowball proponents have all gone dumb perhaps.

Ed_Palamar

Time Out
Feb 28, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
When Jesus comes back to the earth...there will be one more Pope, who is The Antichrist. St. Malachy's prophecy in 1139 said that there would be one more Pope. God can speak through anyone. "He said (Peter the Roman) will feed his flock amid many tribulations: after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful judge will judge the people."Scholars have depicted the Popes until the time of the end. And verified what he said. Jesus is coming back as the Judge of all men.

You must be born again to enter into the kingdom of God: Ezek 36:26,27;John 3:3-7.

I am Peter the Roman responding to a search for others who use the name of my vicarage.

Greetings in the Resurrected Christ!