Iceland's volcano

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It's not just Iceland that is suffering from the volcano. It's almost the whole of Europe. As I write this, I am sitting under a huge cloud of volcanic ash that is not only covering the whole of the UK but is also covering the whole of northern Europe (Mount Eyjafjallajokull is only about 700 miles away).

All flights in the UK and almost the rest of Europe have been grounded for the first time since World War II, obviously leading to scenes of turmoil at airports when people are finding out they can't return home, go on holiday or go on a business trip or whatever.

Some of the volcanic ash has been settling on the ground and on people's vehicles in some areas, and there are warnings for people with respiratory conditions to not stay outside for too long if they start feeling ill.

The last time this Icelandic volcano erupted, in 1821, it erupted for two years, on and off. There were no aeroplanes in those days, so a similar length of eruption now would cause more havoc.

And when another Icelandic volcano, Laki, erupted in 1783, thousands of people were killed throughout Europe, including 8000 in Britain. People throughout the country reported strange, dazzling sunsets every evening.

Sounds like a good time for us to attack (better known as a pre-emptive strike because we know you guys are up to something).

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
went to the cab rank and paid a Brussel's cabbie €400 to take me to Calais
This from another board posted by someone who made it from Poland to Englandstan in two grueling days via train and ferry.

KLM did a test flight through the ash and it was succesful
Wrong-they flew under the ash-costs more for fuel but will work for some flights.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I feel sorry for the people of Iceland, their economy is at a stand still and now this. Bad for people with respiratory ailments, Bad for travel Insurance companies, bad for air traffic the cost by the time it is back to normal must be astronomical.

Whoa there, Socrates. Feel sorry for people of Iceland? For what? Iceland has many problems, but the recent volcanic eruption is not its problem.

We are going to visit Iceland in July, so these days I am taking particular interest in Iceland. The recent volcanic eruption has affected Iceland not in the least. Reykjavik is in the north of Iceland. The volcano is spewing out ash and it is blown to the south by the wind, away from Reykjavik.

In fact, Reykjavik is one of the few airports in Europe which is open, which is functioning normally. Indeed, there has been no disruption in the life in Reykjavik. The disruption has been over the rest of Europe, particularly the countries which are in the path of the jet stream. That is where all the volcanic ash and dust is carried by the wind.

But there has been virtually no disruption in Iceland life. So feel sorry for Britain? Sure. For France? Absolutely. But for Iceland? You are wasting your sympathy.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Whoa there, Socrates. Feel sorry for people of Iceland? For what? Iceland has many problems, but the recent volcanic eruption is not its problem.

We are going to visit Iceland in July, so these days I am taking particular interest in Iceland. The recent volcanic eruption has affected Iceland not in the least. Reykjavik is in the north of Iceland. The volcano is spewing out ash and it is blown to the south by the wind, away from Reykjavik.

In fact, Reykjavik is one of the few airports in Europe which is open, which is functioning normally. Indeed, there has been no disruption in the life in Reykjavik. The disruption has been over the rest of Europe, particularly the countries which are in the path of the jet stream. That is where all the volcanic ash and dust is carried by the wind.

But there has been virtually no disruption in Iceland life. So feel sorry for Britain? Sure. For France? Absolutely. But for Iceland? You are wasting your sympathy.

Interesting SJP, lucky for the rest of the Island, one big problem this eruption they say it could cause the economy to slow down again especially looking at air lines loosing $200 Million a day, and expected to last weeks. scary business.

Plus all the respiratory problems people will encounter near the area would be scary to think. I wander if the drinking water would be safe in areas were the fall out is strong?.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Interesting SJP, lucky for the rest of the Island, one big problem this eruption they say it could cause the economy to slow down again especially looking at air lines loosing $200 Million a day, and expected to last weeks. scary business.

Plus all the respiratory problems people will encounter near the area would be scary to think. I wander if the drinking water would be safe in areas were the fall out is strong?.

If the volcano is spewing smoke, ashes etc. and the wind is blowing it all to the south, it follows that the places just to the north of volcano are probably the safest places on earth. A lot of Iceland’s population lives in Reykjavik, that is the only big city in Iceland. Also, I think most of the Iceland population lives north of the volcano, so I don’t think Iceland will be affected all that much.

For the rest of the Europe, this is bad news indeed. Especially with economic recovery being in a fragile state, I don’t know if this will actually put a stop to the economic recovery.

It is indeed a serious problem. But I don’t think Iceland itself is much affected.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
If the volcano is spewing smoke, ashes etc. and the wind is blowing it all to the south, it follows that the places just to the north of volcano are probably the safest places on earth. A lot of Iceland’s population lives in Reykjavik, that is the only big city in Iceland. Also, I think most of the Iceland population lives north of the volcano, so I don’t think Iceland will be affected all that much.

For the rest of the Europe, this is bad news indeed. Especially with economic recovery being in a fragile state, I don’t know if this will actually put a stop to the economic recovery.

It is indeed a serious problem. But I don’t think Iceland itself is much affected.
They seem to be close in getting out off the bad economic 3 year ride when their currency the Iceland Krona or the nickname "Icelandic Crown" during the Icelandic banking collapse in 2008 became worthless.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
They say Yellowstone is ripe for a big earthquake.

It would be a world ender if it blew, everything from North/South Carolina to the North including Canada would cease to exist and by the beginning of the second year the only livable areas of the world would be just a band of warmer air around the equator. A volcanic winter would engulf the world for years, mass extinction again.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
It would be a world ender if it blew, everything from North/South Carolina to the North including Canada would cease to exist and by the beginning of the second year the only livable areas of the world would be just a band of warmer air around the equator. A volcanic winter would engulf the world for years, mass extinction again.
If you say so.........:roll:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yer just pulling our leg right?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So what you guys are saying is an earthquake in Wyoming would be worse than all the ones they've had around San Francisco????? Why would that be? Especially in a sparsely populated area without many improvements?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
So what you guys are saying is an earthquake in Wyoming would be worse than all the ones they've had around San Francisco????? Why would that be? Especially in a sparsely populated area without many improvements?

Earthquake? Hardly likely. Volcano - especially a superboomer - is a whole different thing.