Iceland's volcano

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM

Ah that was sarcastic of me - a trait I try to overcome - but I am just as much a pontificator as Sir Joseph so it was a low remark....ick what a bad day here
has something changed on this forum - or is my cranky detector broken?

Sprung fever - that's it....

I wouldn't try too hard, sarcasm can sometimes be a good way of driving home the truth....................:lol:

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Remember...

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
JLM

Ah that was sarcastic of me - a trait I try to overcome - but I am just as much a pontificator as Sir Joseph so it was a low remark....ick what a bad day here
has something changed on this forum - or is my cranky detector broken?

Sprung fever - that's it....

Sarcastic or not (and there is nothing wrong with sarcasm, I use it many times), in this instance I am right (incidentally, I am right most of the times). Replace 'j' by 'y' and the word is very easy to pronounce. Americans just can't be bothered to learn about other cultures, other languages, other customs etc. Particularly I would think somebody at CNN (or indeed, at any other network) would know that in Icelandic, j is pronounced as y.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
SirJoseph

When I was a kid I loved studying maps - when we got to Iceland and I found the capitol was Reykjavik I thought it would be great to be able to tell people it was
my "home" city....such a glamorous name...anyway I guess I've known about "y" and "j" pronunciation for a long long time as I am quite old...but thanks for the explanation.

When I was a kid, I used to read about all these exotic places (Australia, Denmark, Iceland, Ireland and many others) in geography class. I didn't even dream that one day I may actually visit them. Anyway, I am looking forward to visiting Iceland.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Sarcastic or not (and there is nothing wrong with sarcasm, I use it many times), in this instance I am right (incidentally, I am right most of the times). Replace 'j' by 'y' and the word is very easy to pronounce. Americans just can't be bothered to learn about other cultures, other languages, other customs etc. Particularly I would think somebody at CNN (or indeed, at any other network) would know that in Icelandic, j is pronounced as y.
Americans are a result of those other "cultures, other languages, other customs etc." and far more than you people could ever hope to be. By the way, I am not referring to Canadians. Reykavik and Skaftafell National Park are very nice places to visit.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Americans are a result of those other "cultures, other languages, other customs etc." and far more than you people could ever hope to be. By the way, I am not referring to Canadians. Reykavik and Skaftafell National Park are very nice places to visit.

Have you been there, ironsides?