Forum members opinion poll

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Martin cut transfers to the provinces - over which the feds have no control over where they spend it. The provinces could have raised to taxes, or cut spending, to cover this reduction. Instead they cut education and healthcare. That was THEIR choice - not Martin;s,
Sorry, but when there are not many programs that provinces can cut, what's left is the important programs. Or do you really think that health and education would be the first that provinces would cut? lmao

Since they had no political back-bone I'm not saying he's blameless - but local Provincial governments are just as much - if not more - to blame.
Are they also to blame for the nice gifts that Martin afforded his rich buddies? Are the provinces to blame for Adscam and Shawinigate? Are the provinces to blame for Martin fundraising for terrorists? Are the provinces to blame for Martin switching registries of his ships over to another country in order to avoid paying higher Canadian taxes? All just in order to balance the budget. That's just lovely.
Face it, the guy is a rich weasel who hasn't a clue about an average person's life and doesn't give a crap about who he hurts as long as he got his votes and clung to power. Him and Harpy make a great pair ....... for sewer scum.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Martin cut transfers to the provinces - over which the feds have no control over where they spend it. The provinces could have raised to taxes, or cut spending, to cover this reduction. Instead they cut education and healthcare. That was THEIR choice - not Martin;s,

Since they had no political back-bone I'm not saying he's blameless - but local Provincial governments are just as much - if not more - to blame.
Wrong. Notice where it says "The Canada Health Transfer and the Canada Social Transfer"

Federal Transfers to Provinces and Territories

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Am I the only one who notices that all threads break down to two topics, blaming the religious right for everything and everybody else' opinion of SJP. It seems that we can't go past two pages on any thread without going to these two topics.

Aw Cliffy, you are making me blush.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The solution to this problem is easy. Legalize and tax marijuana. Not only would it divert money from organized crime straight to the government, it would also increase tourism and generate more taxes.

also
Raise the GST and lower personal income taxes.
Charge foreigners $50 to enter Canada.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Cliffy that is cynical garbage. Canada is one of the best run democracies in the world, and the world, generally agrees that Canada is the best country to live in. Sure we have our faults. What country doesn't?

Quite so, juan. It is indeed a trait of some Canadians that they like to grumble, it is a sport, a pastime for them. They don't know how good they have it in Canada, they sit in their little nests and grumble to their heart's content.

Well, I have seen some of the world, and very few countries have it as good as Canada. Indeed, my advice to them is, go and live in Britain or Europe for six months, It is a sobering experience. Sky high house prices, expensive gas, expensive food, small cars (mostly stick shift), narrow winding roads, people driving like maniacs etc.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Gilbert - I am all for reducing equalization payments to the provinces. I am glad Martin did it. I am upset that the first thing Harper did was ramp it back up. Equalization, while good in theory, is flawed in practice, and needs to be phased out.

Quite so. I really find this argument, that Martin did this and Martin did that, quite pointless. The main thing is Martin balanced the budget. If he caused some hardship in doing so, big deal. Balancing the budget is not a painless process.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
You don't raise taxes in a recession, you reduce them and borrow to stimulate the economy. When robust times return you increase tax to get more revenue and curb inflation....and with more revenue you pay off what you borrowed in bad economic times.

As far as spending goes I think it is the responsibility of governments to always strive for efficiencies in the core areas of spending.....health, education, training the unemployed, R&D, policing, parks and rec, infrastructure, environment, defense and the arts......in that order.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Quite so, juan. It is indeed a trait of some Canadians that they like to grumble, it is a sport, a pastime for them. They don't know how good they have it in Canada, they sit in their little nests and grumble to their heart's content.

Well, I have seen some of the world, and very few countries have it as good as Canada. Indeed, my advice to them is, go and live in Britain or Europe for six months, It is a sobering experience. Sky high house prices, expensive gas, expensive food, small cars (mostly stick shift), narrow winding roads, people driving like maniacs etc.
... people like you? lmao
Oh, wait, you are here in Canada. Maybe that's why Canada has slipped from 5th to 9th. lmao

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Yeah a lot of Liberal (and Martin) supporters have short memories when it comes to things like the $10 billion gun registry that now has all abiding citizen's guns registered.

We don;t have short memories, JLM. We still remember that Liberals cleaned up the gigantic mess left by Mulroney. We remember that Martin balanced the budget. We also remember that Harper got rid of all the surplus as soon as he got in, by giving tax cuts mainly benefiting the rich.

We also remember that Harper is running the biggest deficit in history. We remember more than you think.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Sorry, but when there are not many programs that provinces can cut, what's left is the important programs. Or do you really think that health and education would be the first that provinces would cut? lmao

Are they also to blame for the nice gifts that Martin afforded his rich buddies? Are the provinces to blame for Adscam and Shawinigate? Are the provinces to blame for Martin fundraising for terrorists? Are the provinces to blame for Martin switching registries of his ships over to another country in order to avoid paying higher Canadian taxes? All just in order to balance the budget. That's just lovely.
Face it, the guy is a rich weasel who hasn't a clue about an average person's life and doesn't give a crap about who he hurts as long as he got his votes and clung to power. Him and Harpy make a great pair ....... for sewer scum.

Well - Adscam and Shawinigate was more Chretien than Martin - but I do agree with your last sentence!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Quite so. I really find this argument, that Martin did this and Martin did that, quite pointless. The main thing is Martin balanced the budget. If he caused some hardship in doing so, big deal. Balancing the budget is not a painless process.
It's stupid to put people's lives at risk just to balance books. Really stupid. And look at all the crap it has caused in health care and education. Just for the sake of balancing the budget for a year or two. Immensely dense.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
We don;t have short memories, JLM. We still remember that Liberals cleaned up the gigantic mess left by Mulroney. We remember that Martin balanced the budget. We also remember that Harper got rid of all the surplus as soon as he got in, by giving tax cuts mainly benefiting the rich.

We also remember that Harper is running the biggest deficit in history. We remember more than you think.
... but forget partially why Harpy is running a deficit. It has something to do with the economy of the world. DUH! Time to change blinders; those are getting dirty.