Forum members opinion poll

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In all fairness the Ontario Liberals in the last 2 years did provide relief for seniors in the form of a property tax grant....but some doctor's son and lets not forget the daughter;-) will have to pay for that $250 this year and $500 in future years:lol::lol:

Yep and grandchildren and 30 generations of future descendents.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
What gets me is that when governments cut expenses, they always cut it from those that can't defend themselves. We have already seen deep cuts to medical and education. Recent cuts to mental health services, arts and culture, while politicians and CEOs continue to grow fatter.

That is why I prefer a Liberal government making spending cuts, rather than Conservative government. A Liberal government will cut reluctantly, cut the minimum that is required and will cut for poor and for middle classes alike.

A Conservative government will cut gleefully, cut only services for the poor and give tax cuts to the rich. It has been well documented that during conservative governments rich get richer and poor get poorer.

I will have more confidence if Liberals are making the cuts then if Conservatives are making them.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Raise taxes a little and cut services, but NOT in healthcare or education like aPAULing Martin did.

Oh yeah. Let's get after Paul Martin and the Liberals. Martin was handed a huge deficit by the Conservatives. and the country was broke. Sure, some services were cut. What else do you do if you don't have the money? The first forty billion dollars in taxes goes just to pay the interest on Mulrony's debt. Think what that forty billion could do for health care or our military.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Those nasty Liberals handed Harper a ten billion dollar surplus. Did Harper give that money to Provincial and municipal governments that you say they stole it from?.....Not bloody likely.

He gave it to the rich, in the form of GST cuts. What is more, he is currently borrowing more than 1000 $ each year from every Canadian and giving some of it back to people like JLM, who are tremendously impressed with Harper's economic prowess.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Nah, he went one better and gave it back to people like you and me and speaking for myself I'm grateful- gonna take it out and buy patio furniture and a barbecue, which helps keep sales people and manufacturers employed.

Quite so. He borrows more than 1000 $ from each Canadian every year and gives some of it back to people like you. The guy must be an economic genius. But of course, not as much of a genius as Bush, I assume according to you. Bush borrowed even more from each American, he racked up even bigger deficits than Harper.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
That is why I prefer a Liberal government making spending cuts, rather than Conservative government. A Liberal government will cut reluctantly, cut the minimum that is required and will cut for poor and for middle classes alike.
Like Martin? Stabbed the provinces in the back and cut healthcare and education while giving his rich buddies nice presents. You sure have an extremely bad (or extremely short) memory.

A Conservative government will cut gleefully, cut only services for the poor and give tax cuts to the rich. It has been well documented that during conservative governments rich get richer and poor get poorer........
lol That's exactly what Martin did. If I remember correctly, he is a Liberal and was Liberal when he was Finance Minister and PM.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Oh yeah. Let's get after Paul Martin and the Liberals. Martin was handed a huge deficit by the Conservatives. and the country was broke. Sure, some services were cut. What else do you do if you don't have the money? The first forty billion dollars in taxes goes just to pay the interest on Mulrony's debt. Think what that forty billion could do for health care or our military.

Indeed, that is the problem with conservatives. They don't want to cut any services (well, they won't mind cutting some for the poor) and they also want tax cuts. People here are tickled pink that they are getting handouts from Harper, the fact that he is borrowing the money from other people, bothers them not in the least.

No cuts to services and tax cuts. What is the inevitable outcome? Why, huge deficits, of course. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

I for one, admire Martin's guts. His goal was to balance the budget and he didn't care if it caused some hardship. Balancing budget is never a painless process. Indeed, if a government claims to have balanced the budget without causing any pain, that probably means that they did it with smoke and mirrors.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Nah, he went one better and gave it back to people like you and me and speaking for myself I'm grateful- gonna take it out and buy patio furniture and a barbecue, which helps keep sales people and manufacturers employed.

And how much did it cost you to get "your own" money back ?

51 Billion ?

Doing taxes my friend was bragging how he was getting an extra $1000.00 back from the home renovation credit.. He explained to me, as I listened, that it only cost him $10,000.00 in home reno's he had not planned to spend this year ( all on credit cards ) to get this money back from the government..

I wonder how many other suckers dipped into credit card debt for $10,000.00 to get $1000.00 on reno back.. ?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Ah but you Gliberals whine (appropriately) about Cons screwing people in the ear but you excuse A-holes like Martin when they screw people in the ear. Hilarious.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
And how much did it cost you to get "your own" money back ?

51 Billion ?

That is just what I have been trying to explain it to him. Harper borrows from all the Canadians and then gives some of it back to people like JLM. We all are going to have t repay it some day. But some people evidently have trouble grasping the concept.

Doing taxes my friend was bragging how he was getting an extra $1000.00 back from the home renovation credit.. He explained to me, as I listened, that it only cost him $10,000.00 in home reno's he had not planned to spend this year ( all on credit cards ) to get this money back from the government..

I wonder how many other suckers dipped into credit card debt for $10,000.00 to get $1000.00 on reno back.. ?

Francis, there is a sting in the tail of home renovation tax credit that Harper has been careful not to advertise. You will find it in Schedule 12. The first 1000 $ you spend are NOT eligible for home renovation tax credit.

So say you spend 1300 $. You can get tax credit only on 300$.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
..........I for one, admire Martin's guts. His goal was to balance the budget and he didn't care if it caused some hardship. Balancing budget is never a painless process. Indeed, if a government claims to have balanced the budget without causing any pain, that probably means that they did it with smoke and mirrors.
That figures. It's one thing to cut unnecessary services like idiotic gun registries and the like, and another to cripple healthcare and education.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Any smart government would move quickly to reign in the budget.. Level it off now and balance it while you can..

From that point you should freeze all new spending.

Once the economy shows signs of uptake, you can start to give more on the budgets you had frozen that require immediate attention.. Health Care, Seniors and such..

And immediate cut in people will have a negative effect in the economy and that can be counter productive at this time..

The last thing we want to create is a double dip recession.. We do not want to have to go further into debt either..

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Francis, there is a sting in the tail of home renovation tax credit that Harper has been careful not to advertise. You will find it in Schedule 12. The first 1000 $ you spend are NOT eligible for home renovation tax credit.

So say you spend 1300 $. You can get tax credit only on 300$.

I did none.. I was off work and had no extra cash to do renovations even if I wanted to..

My concerns are more in how people financed these reno's.. If they used high interest credit cards, what benefit did it really bring them or the economy ? OK it was short term gain but will be long term pain..

What ever they gained from the government, they will lose to interest..

Reactions: Spade

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Day 1. (Communications with the provinces) We promise you provinces we'll cover 50% of health care for Canadians, so go ahead and plan your budgets.
Day 2. (Communications at press conference) We will balance the budget.
Day 3. (Communications between finance minister and PM) Cut 15% from transfer payments to the provinces and we can balance the budget but wait till after they announce their budgets.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Ah but you Gliberals whine (appropriately) about Cons screwing people in the ear but you excuse A-holes like Martin when they screw people in the ear. Hilarious.

Les, you do realize Paul Martin was a true Conservative..

He fell in what you would classify as the most right of centre Liberal the party has ever had..

I actually had the opportunity to talk to him and he made my skin crawl.. 8O

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Call me what you like. I'm one of those poor fish who voted for Bulroney (in his first term) I wasn't one of the really stupid fish who voted for the bast-rd for his second term.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I did none.. I was off work and had no extra cash to do renovations even if I wanted to..

My concerns are more in how people financed these reno's.. If they used high interest credit cards, what benefit did it really bring them or the economy ? OK it was short term gain but will be long term pain..

My point is that I don't think anybody knew before they got the tax forms that first 1000 $ was not eligible for any tax credit whatever. If somebody spent 1300 $, the expectation would be that he would get tax credit for 1300$, and not for 300$.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

A few people around here took advantage of that home reno thing, too. Thing is, a lot of people around here don't have mortgages and high maintenance costs anymore. So they fixed up their homes with savings they had stored for just such an occasion and then will get up to $1500 back.