U.S. ambassador in Alberta to learn about oilsands

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
definition of "bitumen":

Bitumen is a black, oily, viscous material that is a naturally-occurring organic byproduct of decomposed organic materials. Also known as asphalt or tar, bitumen was mixed with other materials throughout prehistory and throughout the world for use as a sealant, adhesive, building mortar, incense, and decorative application on pots, buildings, or human skin. The material was also useful in waterproofing canoes and other water transport, and in the mummification process toward the end of the New Kingdom of ancient Egypt. It is also flammable. And, thanks to recent scholarship, this gooey stuff is also identifiable to source.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
But, I won't quibble over something so minor. It's oil sands, then. Which reminds me, I better go start making breakfast, it's getting late in the afternoon. I had an egg on toast for lunch, then leftover spuds and veggies for dinner. Breakfast will be Pork medallions in mushroom sauce, mashed spuds, and corn.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Sorry ger,still,no tar in the oilsands as theres a few components missing.
Calling it tar or tar like doesnt make it so.
Theres also no asphalt in the oilsands.

See....here's the problem.... you can NOT seem to be able to grasp or adapt, or change your point of view no matter what facts are presented when those facts are contrary to the brain washing that you have recieved.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
See....here's the problem.... you can NOT seem to be able to grasp or adapt, or change your point of view no matter what facts are presented when those facts are contrary to the brain washing that you have recieved.

No tar in the oilsands ger,just because you want to call it that doesnt make it true.
Your running on empty now if thats the best you can do.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No tar in the oilsands ger,just because you want to call it that doesnt make it true.
Your running on empty now if thats the best you can do.

well then kak....I guess there ain't no "oil" in those sands either since the finished product is called "synthetic".

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
But it's Bitumen before it becomes synthetic.
You were correct in one of your posts,about 20 ago when you said you were done.:cool:

but but but....the definitions for bitumen says it is oil like...or tar like...not that it IS oil, and the "oil" you get in the end is a synthetic oil..... now, do you need the definition of synthetic or can you google that on your own.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
but but but....the definitions for bitumen says it is oil like...or tar like...not that it IS oil, and the "oil" you get in the end is a synthetic oil..... now, do you need the definition of synthetic or can you google that on your own.

Ya well.I took a dump that was tar like the other day.8O
Theres no tar in the oilsands ger,it's manmade.

Your grasping at straws now.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
no no no....I'm playing your game...are you not having fun anymore?

There is no oil in bitumen either then since "sysnthetic oil, an end product of bitumen, is man made...that's why it's called synthetic....lol...so oil sands is an incorect label also.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
no no no....I'm playing your game...are you not having fun anymore?

There is no oil in bitumen either then since "sysnthetic oil, an end product of bitumen, is man made...that's why it's called synthetic....lol...so oil sands is an incorect label also.
Ya,ok.tar is also "man made" so what do you suggest we call it?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
doesn't really matter what we call it....does it....oil sands, tar sands, bitumen alley...... when people refer to the oil sands or the tar sands of Alberta, everyone knows what is being talked about.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
doesn't really matter what we call it....does it....oil sands, tar sands, bitumen alley...... when people refer to the oil sands or the tar sands of Alberta, everyone knows what is being talked about.
And thanks to the uninformed and ignorant,most people think it's nothing short of a nuclear disaster.

So sorry if I question your fearmongering and scare tactics.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
And thanks to the uninformed and ignorant,most people think it's nothing short of a nuclear disaster.

quote where I have been fear mongering.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
can't do it, can ya..... more bullsh*t from the king.

I can understand why the oil company's would not want to be questioned. I can understand why the government would not want a spot light shone on their working. You, on the other hand, the only reason's I can come up for you not wanting anything about the oil sands questioned is because you're afraid for your job, in which cas you shouldn't be talking about this on an open forum, or your a company hack.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I think you're ignorant about ecology issues, and only see the situation through the corporate issued rosy glasses. Throwing links up that sound technical and authoritative, but you obviously can't grasp what the reality of the situation is.

You think the regulations are tough on you, so you extrapolate that this means that the situation must be good for the environment, a classic non-sequitur. Well, the results are coming in slowly, and they suggest that the long term effects are uncertain, and in the short amount of time that has elapsed, there are already signs of degradation, that your myopic photographs don't truly capture.

It hasn't even donned on you that the other folks who work there, who make sure the regulations are followed, the microbiologists and soil scientists, also have an interest in ensuring that business progresses as usual.

Oil, tar, bitumen, whatever you want to call it, it comes with a price.