U.S. ambassador in Alberta to learn about oilsands

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Thats right,I know nothing about cedars so I wouldnt bother commenting on it.
Yet you know nothing about boreal forests and mycorrhizal communities and say everything is fine?

We had a few cat engines blow up north,guess you have never seen one thats been ventilated with the pistons sticking out the side of the block.
Nitpicking again? Hubby is a mechanic, so yes, I do know a little about engines. I've seen engines with half a crank sticking out oilpans and blocks. I seen heads popped off. Not all blown engines look any different than good ones. Last one I saw looked normal and even ran but it made a lot of unnatural noise and produced lots of smoke.

Last edited:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Yet you know nothing about boreal forests and mycorrhizal communities and say everything is fine?

Nitpicking again? Hubby is a mechanic, so yes, I do know a little about engines. I've seen engines with half a crank sticking out oilpans and blocks. I seen heads popped off. Not all blown engines look any different than good ones. Last one I saw looked normal and even ran but it made a lot of unnatural noise and produced lots of smoke.
I can rebuild any cat engine and bro is also a heavy duty mechanic.
They are typically rebuilt after 8000 to12,000 hours,some at 16,000 but thats pushing it.Finning has a 98%rebuild program so thats what lots of people use.
If their smoking its allmost allways a blown turbo,a blown head gasket will also make lots of smoke.
Thats not a blown engine though.

I posted lots of info on boreal forests,maybe read back a bit.
As im not a scientist and mainly deal with the finished product I leave that part to them as they are the experts in their field.They dont do their job then the reclamation wont work or be up to standards and a certificate wont be issued and it will have to be redone.

If you were really interested in the environmental aspects of the oilsands you would listen to the peeps that are doing the work there,I have nothing to gain by ****ting you and either does kryptic but no matter how much info we give you cant seem to get off the hate Alberta thing or is it jelousy?
Your continued insults and name calling proves that.

You want to discuss the oilsands with the peeps doing the work that are liable for the screw ups then fine,I'll answer them the best I can and I'm sure Kryptic will also,you just want to slag Alberta in any way possible then start another thread.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I can rebuild any cat engine and bro is also a heavy duty mechanic.
Good for you and your bro.
They are typically rebuilt after 8000 to12,000 hours,some at 16,000 but thats pushing it.Finning has a 98%rebuild program so thats what lots of people use.
Good for Finning.
If their smoking its allmost allways a blown turbo,a blown head gasket will also make lots of smoke.
Almost always isn't always.
Thats not a blown engine though.
I didn't say it was. I just added that little bit just because. Theree are two different definitions of "blown" engine that I know of:
1. an engine with a supercharger (this sort of "blown engine" is not what I was referring to initially)
2. an engine that will not work properly again until major restoration is done.

So Mr. Expert, explain to me that a blown engine has to have visible signs that it is blown.

I posted lots of info on boreal forests,maybe read back a bit.
That makes you an expert. I see.
As im not a scientist and mainly deal with the finished product I leave that part to them as they are the experts in their field.They dont do their job then the reclamation wont work or be up to standards and a certificate wont be issued and it will have to be redone.
So you aren't an expert. I see.

If you were really interested in the environmental aspects of the oilsands you would listen to the peeps that are doing the work there,I have nothing to gain by ****ting you and either does kryptic but no matter how much info we give you cant seem to get off the hate Alberta thing or is it jelousy?
That's just laughable.
Your continued insults and name calling proves that.
No, it simply shows that you can't seem to grasp the concept of what is science and my frustration with you not understanding it.
Alberta is a fine province otherwise.

You want to discuss the oilsands with the peeps doing the work that are liable for the screw ups then fine,I'll answer them the best I can and I'm sure Kryptic will also,you just want to slag Alberta in any way possible then start another thread.
Wroing again. It simply displays my contempt for the entire petroleum industry as being the single most destructive project people have come up with.

You have a comprehension problem. It's nothing new and we all have problems with comprehension concerning biys of life here & there.

Last edited:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
No Anna your arguing something you dont have a clue about and i'm just trying to give you some facts.One guy alone doesnt do reclamation,theres hundreds involved and they all have their own field,something you cant seem to grasp for some reason.My job is to see theres compliance with the reclamation plan,it go's through lots of peeps and stages before it gets to me.
I dont test the dirt before it gos back,I dont re seed it or replant the trees,I dont go back and do soil,water and other studys on it,thats all by done by the experts in those fields.I provided the info from them but you seem to think it has to come from me.

You think one guy handles all that crap?
Do you have any idea how many university schooled experts there is working on these projects? Do you think their incompetent?

I can keep this discussion civil without lowering myself to insults because I deal with peeps that are fairly ignorant about the enviro laws all the time,it's like they dont want the oilsands to be making technological advances that will make them greener and cleaner.They dont want to see pictures of lush forests put back,bison grazing where there was no grass before because of naturally occuring bitumen saturation.
They dont want to see us being the leader in clean energy.
Yet they mash out words on a computer made from petroleum products,are surrounded by petroleum products and basically could'nt live without petroleum period.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
No Anna your arguing something you dont have a clue about
Says the pot to the kettle. BS. As I said, just because I am female doesn't mean I am as ignorant and stupid as you seem to think I am.
and i'm just trying to give you some facts.
Wrong again, you are defending the production of oil, posting your own mistaken version of what studies say, and ignoring anything else others post.
One guy alone doesnt do reclamation,theres hundreds involved and they all have their own field,something you cant seem to grasp for some reason.
Wrong again. I do know that people specialize in things. And you talking about ecology in ignorance is no better than me talking about oil production.
My job is to see theres compliance with the reclamation plan,it go's through lots of peeps and stages before it gets to me.
Hoorah!
I dont test the dirt before it gos back,I dont re seed it or replant the trees,I dont go back and do soil,water and other studys on it,thats all by done by the experts in those fields.I provided the info from them but you seem to think it has to come from me.
Yet you take a picture and see the reclamation and pronounce it "A+". I see.

You think one guy handles all that crap?
Nope.
Do you have any idea how many university schooled experts there is working on these projects?
Nope. Do you? Give me a number.
Do you think their incompetent?
Nope, not all of them. But when they publish a study, I am sure they don't publish one with the intention of having it misinterpreted like Tonnington says you do.

I can keep this discussion civil without lowering myself to insults because I deal with peeps that are fairly ignorant about the enviro laws all the time,
Then quit twisting what the studies say that you post. And by the way, since you seem to defend the production of oil, show me that oil has been of more benefit to the entire planet than it has been disastrous.
it's like they dont want the oilsands to be making technological advances that will make them greener and cleaner.They dont want to see pictures of lush forests put back,bison grazing where there was no grass before because of naturally occuring bitumen saturation.
So you still think humans can do a better job than nature. I see.
Besides, nature can deal with things it produces, man seems to just screw it up. Just because something is green and pretty doesn't mean it is better than it was when it wasn't green and pretty.
They dont want to see us being the leader in clean energy.
Perhaps some don't. I don't care who leads in clean energy. My point is that oil sure as hell isn't clean.
Yet they mash out words on a computer made from petroleum products,are surrounded by petroleum products and basically could'nt live without petroleum period.
So? I think people could have done quite well, without oil. I know that the planet could have.
How many wars have been fought where oil has been a factor? 3 that I can think of offhand. Yep, that byproduct of oil is sure beneficial, isn't it? Spills from hell to breakfast are sure beneficial, aren't they.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Sorry but I dont do the multi quote thing,just say it one breath ok?
Then post one idea at a time.
I could care less if your male or female,people are people and I treat em all the same.
Yep, apparently everyone that disagrees with you hates Alberta, and is ignorant and stupid.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Geez, I've never heard of the Labria Oil Pits.

Euphemisms I've learnt to love.

Nuisance grounds instead of Garbage dumps.
Madams instead of Old hookers
Seniors instead of the Aged
Visiting the queen instead of Going to the crapper.
Oil sands instead of Tar sands

Could you check the tar please?
I need a tar change in the hummer!:roll:
Hand me the Mazola cooking tar hun,the kraft dinners boiling over.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
definition of tar according to Princeton University Press:

any of various dark heavy viscid substances obtained as a residue

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Why bother Anna, if he ever decides to say something intelligent we can come back to this. In the mean time, this all just one big circle jerk.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Why bother Anna, if he ever decides to say something intelligent we can come back to this. In the mean time, this all just one big circle jerk.
Yeah. It's the Irish in me that hates to leave something before the taste has all gone from it. But, I can let it go, I guess. There's always tomorrow. :D

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Then post one idea at a time.
Yep, apparently everyone that disagrees with you hates Alberta, and is ignorant and stupid.

I never said anyone was stupid,the insults were'nt coming from me.
Ignorant as not knowing the facts then yes,lots are and the farther away from the oilsands the worse it gets.

As for the one idea thing,you can answer in one breath instead of breaking things into seperate quotes.
I can handle it as I was married for many years,used to taking in major info while watching southpark.;-)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
True or false, bitumen is a tar-like form of petroleum which must be heated before it will flow?

So the bitumen is actually more tar-like due to it's viscosity, than oil-like.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
definition of tar according to Princeton University Press:

any of various dark heavy viscid substances obtained as a residue
Sorry,tar is a man made substance and it is'nt found in the oilsands.
Say it slow B....I....T....U....M....E....N.
There is no tar in the oilsands unless the cavemen were making it millions of years ago.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I never said anyone was stupid,the insults were'nt coming from me.
Guess who said this, "your arguing something you dont have a clue about ".
Ignorant as not knowing the facts then yes,lots are and the farther away from the oilsands the worse it gets.
So, does this mean you will show me how oil has been more of a benefit than a disaster?

As for the one idea thing,you can answer in one breath instead of breaking things into seperate quotes.
Why should I? Even Sir Jokey separates quotes as do most others here.
I can handle it as I was married for many years,used to taking in major info while watching southpark.;-)
Cool. :)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Sorry,tar is a man made substance and it is'nt found in the oilsands.
Say it slow B....I....T....U....M....E....N.
There is no tar in the oilsands unless the cavemen were making it millions of years ago.
Oil is runny. Tar isn't. If the tar sands were actually oil sands, why is heating and dilution necessary to get the stuff to run?

Quoting Tonington, "True or false, bitumen is a tar-like form of petroleum which must be heated before it will flow?

So the bitumen is actually more tar-like due to it's viscosity, than oil-like."

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Oil is runny. Tar isn't. If the tar sands were actually oil sands, why is heating and dilution necessary to get the stuff to run?

Quoting Tonington, "True or false, bitumen is a tar-like form of petroleum which must be heated before it will flow?

So the bitumen is actually more tar-like due to it's viscosity, than oil-like."
Go wiki or google the chemical composition of tar and get back to me.:roll: