U.S. ambassador in Alberta to learn about oilsands

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
It's NOTHING like topsoil, and even though I'm ONLY a furnace installer, even I know that.

Stick to furnaces ger.
What do you think makes the bog to begin with? Decomposing organics,whats topsoil?
Ever had a compost Ger?

Hint-it comes from above and it's called sediments and accounts for all the coal seams in Canada.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I didn't "think" there was an oil sands mine in cold lake, I already knew that they do in situ drilling all through the cold lake area. YOUR implication was that since there was no strip mining the environmental impact was minimal, which is bulsh*t. Whether they extract it by stripping the land or do steam injection drilling, it ALL has an environmental impact, no matter how much the oil company's or individual oil patch workers try to downplay that impact.
Well unless you did a clever edit I'll call bull**** because you were even posting links to "oil production" from wells thinking it was coming from an oilsands project in cold lake,i'm not going to go back and look for them.
You didnt clue in untill I posted that it was production from in situ wells.:roll:
Now your backpeddaling,pretty funny.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
no...I'm finished talking to the arrogant self centered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
no...I'm finished talking to the arrogant self centered.

:lol: I dont comment on the furnace thread or other one's I know nothing about but your in my backyard with the patch or mining and a few other industries.
So stick to your forte and dont question mine if you havent a clue.
I'm not arrogant,I just tell it like it is.
You will noticed I havent reciprocated with any insults even though they were getting heavy at times when facts got in the way.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
think again....your condesending attitude is insult enough.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
It's a crazy world. Doing exploration I have to **** in a baggie to meet provincial or territorial regs but if I find pay dirt the D-8's and 9s come thundering in with the full love and adornment of the province or territory.

The good old honey bucket.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
peatros says:
Sphagnum is a genus of between 151-350 species of mosses commonly called peat moss, due to its prevalence in peat bogs and mires. A distinction is made between sphagnum moss, the live moss growing on top of a peat bog, and sphagnum peat moss, the decaying matter underneath.[1] Bogs are dependent on precipitation as their main source of food and nutrients, thus making them a favourable habitat for sphagnum as it can retain water and air quite well. Members of this genus can hold large quantities of water inside their cells; some species can hold up to 20 times their dry weight in water, which is why peat moss is commonly sold as a soil amendment. The empty cells help retain water in drier conditions. In wetter conditions, the spaces contain air and help the moss float for photosynthetic purposes. Sphagnum and the peat formed from it do not decay readily because of the phenolic compounds embedded in the moss's cell walls. An additional reason is that the bogs in which Sphagnum grows are submerged, deoxygenated, and favor slower anaerobic decay rather than aerobic microbial action. Peat moss can also acidify its surroundings by taking up cations such as calcium and magnesium and releasing hydrogen ions.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

Description

This section is from the book "Stable Management And Exercise", by M. Horace Hayes. Also available from Amazon: Stable Management And Exercise.
Peat Moss (Moss Litter)

Origin And Nature

Peat is formed in more or less stagnant water, such as that of marshes, by the decomposition of bog plants, the chief of which is bog moss (Sphagnum). "Mosses of this genus grow in very wet situations and throw out new shoots in their upper parts whilst their lower parts are decaying and being converted into peat, so that shallow pools are gradually converted into bogs .... The formation of peat takes place only in the colder parts of the world. In warm regions the decay of vegetable substances after life has ceased, is too rapid" (Chambers' Encyclopoedia). Besides bog moss, we find among peat-producers, cotton-grass (Eriophorum angustifoliuni) and other sedges, horse-tails (Equisetum), heaths, and bog myrtle (Myrica gale). Drainage kills almost all bog plants. Peat is the first stage in the formation of ordinary coal; brown coal (lignite) being an intermediate one. The successive changes undergone by woody fibre, peat and lignite in the formation of coal, consist of a "peculiar decomposition or fermentation of buried vegetable matter, resulting in the separation of a large proportion of its hydrogen in the form of marsh-gas (CH4), and similar compounds, and of its oxygen in the form of carbonic acid gas (CO2), the carbon accumulating in the residue. Thus, cellulose (C6H10O5), which constitutes the bulk of woody fibre, might be imagined to decompose according to the equation 2C6H10O5 = 5CH4 + 5CO2 + C2 " (Bloxam). The conversion of bog plants into peat, somewhat resembles that of wood into charcoal, when it is burned in the presence of a narrowly limited supply of air.
The following table shows the respective percentages of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen in wood, peat, lignite, ordinary coal and anthracite : -
Carbon.
Hydrogen.
Oxygen
Wood .
Peat .
Lignite
South Wales coal.
Anthracite .

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Most everything above the caliche is organic and will support growth.
Organics are organics,period.

well...nice to see that you have finally put to rest the question of whether or not you have any working brain cells above your neck. If you are an example of the type of idiots that are responsible for "fixing" the mess the oil company's are making then peoples environmental concerns with the tar sands are very well founded.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
well...nice to see that you have finally put to rest the question of whether or not you have any working brain cells above your neck. If you are an example of the type of idiots that are responsible for "fixing" the mess the oil company's are making then peoples environmental concerns with the tar sands are very well founded.
I keep answering your same questions and I cant dumb it down much more then to tell you everything above non useable clay is stripped and stockpiled prior to any excavation.Thats everything above the clay.
Thats the law in Alberta for any excavation,no exceptions unless your a farmer.
What part of that dont you understand?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
and I've already pointed out that the statements being made that things are put back to the way theu were are eroneous at best,or out right lies. Boreal forest being bulldozed down and replaced with grassland (Syncrude) is not back to the way they were.

It was pointed out that Alberta has loop holes in their reclamation laws that allow the oil company's to only put back to the same designation(ie agricultural land before, agricultural land after), you said no one uses that loop hole, Syncrude has.

Your statement that "organic matter is organic matter" shows a very simplistic view of the eco system. Your statement that peat bogs are no different than top soil just at different stage of decomposition shows your complete lack of understanding.

You have made it VERY clear that YOU should stick to operating a backhoe digging holes and filling them back in, because you have a complete lack of knowledge or understanding of different ecco systems, what they bring to the mix and how changing the bio diversity of those ecco systems can become a cluster f*ck in the long run.