U.S. ambassador in Alberta to learn about oilsands

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
You can certainly identify your subject...;-):roll:

You havent added anything to the discussion except insults so far.
Same with Anna,Dont ask questions if you cant handle the answers.

If you truly want to know about the oilsands then ask and I'll do my best to answer any questions pertaining to the environment and laws and reg's.
So far it seems like you dont want to know whats going on from someone that was in the field,best to rely on something off google I guess.:roll:

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Sorry, got a little sensitive there. I'm a parent, the kind of planet my grandkids will have to live in is kind of important to me. I guess it's different for those with no kids. I forget there are such people. :)
Besides, I like living out where the water and air is clean and take offense to someone messing up either.

No apology necessary. The blood pressure can get a bit high on CC at times. Totally understandable.

For the record, I have 3 children and 1 grandchild. And I want the best for them as well. Ok darn it I'll start recycling! Geez Anna, you drive a hard bargain.

Kudos to you for living a clean life. Out of necessity I live in a city where car fumes and noise pollution are the norm. Although if I close my eyes at night the noise almost....almost....sounds like waves crashing over the sand.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
lol Good for you.Personally, I wouldn't park my house near unstable hills that have been known to fall down, or in the middle of a pile of sour gas wells, and I'd probably have the water tested by a private outfit of my choosing before I'd drink it but you go right ahead.

I don't care about Vancouver. It isn't the topic.
You will care when Van slips into the ocean.
Then you can swim in your own poop.heh!

If I pee in the crik ten miles to the west of me chances are you will ingest a small portion of that pee being downstream and all.
My dna would then be firmly planted in your body then,in the fat cells,and my plan for world domination will allmost be complete.;-)
Look out Prussia!

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
The topic was about the American ambassador visiting the oilsands and guess what,the clipper is back on line now,pipe is getting trucked in from everywhere now.
He must have liked his tour!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
You will care when Van slips into the ocean.
Then you can swim in your own poop.heh!
Dumbass. It says right under my avatar I live in the Kootenays and I have mentioned it several times throughout several threads. I'm about a 9 hour drive from Vancouver. That's halfway between Calgary and Vancouver. You just ASSume all BC consists of is Vancouver. Sorry, but BC is even bigger than AB.
BTW, I have relatives living in Calgary and I happen to love them and as far as cities go that I have been to, Calgary is decent. In case you are lost, Calgary is in AB, so that means I kind of like AB, too. I just don't like messes. The tar sands are a mess. Get it yet? So tell me I hate AB all you want, I don't care because it's only your opinion and it has no basis in fact.

If I pee in the crik ten miles to the west of me chances are you will ingest a small portion of that pee being downstream and all.
My dna would then be firmly planted in your body then,in the fat calls,and my plan for world domination will allmost be complete.;-)
Look out Prussia!
:jerk:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Dumbass. It says right under my avatar I live in the Kootenays and I have mentioned it several times throughout several threads. I'm about a 9 hour drive from Vancouver. That's halfway between Calgary and Vancouver. You just ASSume all BC consists of is Vancouver. Sorry, but BC is even bigger than AB.
BTW, I have relatives living in Calgary and I happen to love them and as far as cities go that I have been to, Calgary is decent. In case you are lost, Calgary is in AB, so that means I kind of like AB, too. I just don't like messes. The tar sands are a mess. Get it yet? So tell me I hate AB all you want, I don't care because it's only your opinion and it has no basis in fact.

:jerk:
I wont bring up the mercury contamination then in the kootenay waters,it's pretty bad.:x
I held a free miners certificate in 1980 for B.C.
Right in your area,I could stake a gold claim anywhere if I wanted to and the laws were pretty lax there.

Allmost as bad as Van pumping their poop into the ocean.:lol:

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I wont bring up the mercury contamination then in the kootenay waters,it's pretty bad.:x
Off topic again? You sure seem to be sensitive about any criticism of the tar sands.
At any rate, the latest figures show the mercury level in Kootenay Lake is less than 0.005 ppm. That's less than the can of tuna in your cupboard.
I held a free miners certificate in 1980 for B.C.
Right in your area,I could stake a gold claim anywhere if I wanted to and the laws were pretty lax there.
Off-topic again. And sorry, but that's wrong. You can only stake a claim where there is no mineral rights granted to someone else.

Allmost as bad as Van pumping their poop into the ocean.:lol:
So you say, but as you said, you are no expert. And you are off topic again.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You havent added anything to the discussion except insults so far.
Same with Anna,Dont ask questions if you cant handle the answers.

If you truly want to know about the oilsands then ask and I'll do my best to answer any questions pertaining to the environment and laws and reg's.
So far it seems like you dont want to know whats going on from someone that was in the field,best to rely on something off google I guess.:roll:

We don't need your answers Kaka. You don't know what you are talking about. All you have is anecdotal fluff. The technology is beyond you.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Fort McMurray, AB: On January 3, 2009, a valve blew on a pipe at the Enbridge Cheechan Terminal tank farm on Hwy 881 just south of Anzac, near Fort McMurray. Oil spewed 30 to 40 metres into the air, going undetected for two to three hours. Approximately 4,000 barrels of oil were spilled, with the majority of the oil on the ground flowing into surrounding storage ponds. The Enbridge tank farm was unmanned, had no security onsite, and the detection system didn’t notice the leak. According to Enbridge 4,000 barrels was “too small a spill” to register.
http://landkeepers.ca/images/uploads/reports/Spills_and_Ruptures_on_Enbridge_Pipelines.pdf

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
We don't need your answers Kaka. You don't know what you are talking about. All you have is anecdotal fluff. The technology is beyond you.

Well so far you have added nothing to the topic but insults where as I have offered to explain enviro rules and regs that I am familiar with along with the technology which seems way above your head.
You dont become a field rep by not knowing the technology.:roll:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Off topic again? You sure seem to be sensitive about any criticism of the tar sands.
At any rate, the latest figures show the mercury level in Kootenay Lake is less than 0.005 ppm. That's less than the can of tuna in your cupboard.
Off-topic again. And sorry, but that's wrong. You can only stake a claim where there is no mineral rights granted to someone else.

So you say, but as you said, you are no expert. And you are off topic again.
Actually I can claim on yours if you dont do anything with it,keeps peeps from staking claims and sitting on them or reselling for profit.
You have to do some work on a claim to keep it or I can claim it myself.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Actually I can claim on yours if you dont do anything with it,keeps peeps from staking claims and sitting on them or reselling for profit.

Ok.....I'm gonna call you on this, but I will give you a small crack to work on first. Please define "work" and state what the regs are in regards to what the government considers "working" the claim.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Ok.....I'm gonna call you on this, but I will give you a small crack to work on first. Please define "work" and state what the regs are in regards to what the government considers "working" the claim.
Been awhile since my free miners certificate expired in B.C. and I never renewed it but you used to have to do maintenance,reclamation or at least spend enough money to show your actually working the claim.It wasnt much back then but people were abusing it and useing their claim to build mountain retreat cabins.
We had the buzzardbones claim on Perry creek and lost it due to inactivity.

In the NWT you also have to work your claims even though the claims are done mostly by computer from an office far away.You cant just stake a claim and sit on it,a certain amount of exploration and development has to be done every year.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
In BC, all that is required is $500 worth of maintenance or upkeep OR $500 payment in lue of work. Rest assured though, if you do not renew your claim before the renewal date and you are sitting on something that "could be" financially viable, within the hour of expiration the claim will be scooped by someone else.

My family had a placer claim on the cottonwood for over 30 years. It hadn't been physically "worked" for many years. It fell to my cousin to renew and pay the fees for the claim after his Dad died. Unfortunatley he forgot and was a day late getting in. He found out a placer mining company had scooped it within hours of the claim expiring.

So, no, physical work is not required to maintain a claim. If your claim is well off hiway and you need to "groom" the access road to it every year, that would qualify for the $500 worth required every year.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
In BC, all that is required is $500 worth of maintenance or upkeep OR $500 payment in lue of work. Rest assured though, if you do not renew your claim before the renewal date and you are sitting on something that "could be" financially viable, within the hour of expiration the claim will be scooped by someone else.

My family had a placer claim on the cottonwood for over 30 years. It hadn't been physically "worked" for many years. It fell to my cousin to renew and pay the fees for the claim after his Dad died. Unfortunatley he forgot and was a day late getting in. He found out a placer mining company had scooped it within hours of the claim expiring.

So, no, physical work is not required to maintain a claim. If your claim is well off hiway and you need to "groom" the access road to it every year, that would qualify for the $500 worth required every year.

I knew it wasnt much and that you could just fudge the numbers to make it appear you were working it. I thought maybe they had toughened up the rules more by now.
Wish I would have kept up ours,it was on the creek the big fort steele waterwheel came from.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

I knew it wasnt much and that you could just fudge the numbers to make it appear you were working it. I thought maybe they had toughened up the rules more by now.
Wish I would have kept up ours,it was on the creek the big fort steele waterwheel came from.

The point I was/am making is, you made a very unambiguos statement concerning mineral claims as if you knew exactely what was what. The same type of statements you've made concerning the oilsands and the environment. You were basically dead wrong with what is required for maintaining a claim.................

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
The point I was/am making is, you made a very unambiguos statement concerning mineral claims as if you knew exactely what was what. The same type of statements you've made concerning the oilsands and the environment. You were basically dead wrong with what is required for maintaining a claim.................

No,spending money on a claim is maintaining it.
Lieing to the government or sending phony invoices about maintaining it isnt in my books.

You should talk about the oilsands,wasnt it you who thought there was a mine in cold lake?:roll:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No,spending money on a claim is maintaining it.
Lieing to the government or sending phony invoices about maintaining it isnt in my books.

You should talk about the oilsands,wasnt it you who thought there was a mine in cold lake?:roll:

Like I said, your statement was unambiguous, I have already requoted what you stated and no amount of wiggling on your part will change what you said, and what you stated was wrong.

As for your comment about the oilsands, that is rich considering it was YOU that brought up claims in BC not me.

As far as Cold Lake is concerned, the claim that no mining is going on imply's that there is no disernable environmental impact in the area. In-situ extraction has it's own "problems" with disruption of migratory and feeding patterns being just one because of the above ground piping, not to mention the use of freshwater (yes many operations are still using freshwater to create the steam needed).

As for your claim that Albertas reclamation laws are beyond reproach, BS, Alberta has a neat little loophole, land is NOT required to be put back the way it was, it is required to be put back to the original land use, which in the majority of areas, the land is designated agricultural land use. This in itself saves the oil company's one hell of alot of money.