U.S. ambassador in Alberta to learn about oilsands

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I see what your saying and have been saying the whole time. but the oil sands project was allowed to over expand faster then it was intended to. Good for your pockets, but bad for the environemnt. In the link i included it even says the Albertan government hasnt enough information on the environemnt to be allowing an almost uncontrolled growth...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The oilsands are mainly still just another strip mine,anyone whos worked in one knows it's not rocket science.

A strip mine that consumes huge amounts of water, and dumps sludge into massive ponds which seep and ooze crap into the river, while leaving massive ponds of sludgy water to sit for years.

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta
So, when the land is reclaimed, you're replacing a mixed forest with grass, and this is supposed to be better? You've reduced the biodiversity, and this is supposed to be better? You've displaced the food webs in the area, and changed the habitat, and you expect the same food webs to be re-established, and actually better than before?

This does not compute.

Not even, if forest was there before, forest goes back, have you been to fort mac? or some of the rest of the places that the oil patch works in? lol ... the land is crap half the time. and like Kakato said, getting rid of stuff that prevents growth helps a lot.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well I can help answer that, since I do/did it on a daily basis (hey its slow right now).

Anyways, top soil has a tendency to get run off hills and into valleys making it 2 inches thick on top and 2 feet thick in the valley... so on the reclamation I put it back far more evenly. If there is small old trees on the ground and you run them over and chew them up with your tracks its just like adding an organic mulch to the soil, then with replanting of trees, they have a fresh start with lots of nutrients. Just like nature, but faster is all.

They may be small things, but it kinda shows you how it can be a bit better anyways.

Some of us do care.

I never said you or anyone else don't care. I'm asking a simple question.

The answer that both you and Kakato gave me is based on human evaluation of what is better. A judgment call.

Is it better to have a uniform landscape, or to have niches like productive valleys and specialized forests?

You haven't actually answered the question of how that is better. Reclamation is supposed to be returning the land to it's pre-development condition. Not what some company or government bureaucrat thinks is better.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
So, when the land is reclaimed, you're replacing a mixed forest with grass, and this is supposed to be better? You've reduced the biodiversity, and this is supposed to be better? You've displaced the food webs in the area, and changed the habitat, and you expect the same food webs to be re-established, and actually better than before?

This does not compute.

It's allways put back as close to original as possible,I took lots of before and after pics of my jobs,in most you cant tell anyone has been there after a week.

The oilsands are contained in one area,thats one thing about open pit mines of any kind,they produce lots of dollars over many years and basically have a small footprint because they stay in one spot,now clear cut logging on the other hand is way more damaging to the environment.

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta
? so there is some divine interpretation of whats better?

I am stating it is better than we found it. Sure I killed a few earth worms, sorry...

so we redo it to pre-dev conditions, and then in my interpretation of what would be better, i do so...

how does nature know any better? earthquake, floods, volcanoes all change the land drastically to, and its all random, not thought out...

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I never said you or anyone else don't care. I'm asking a simple question.

The answer that both you and Kakato gave me is based on human evaluation of what is better. A judgment call.

Is it better to have a uniform landscape, or to have niches like productive valleys and specialized forests?

You haven't actually answered the question of how that is better. Reclamation is supposed to be returning the land to it's pre-development condition. Not what some company or government bureaucrat thinks is better.
When I did reclamation in the BC open pit mines it didnt go back the same but thats because you took half a mountain down.I was told to use my imagination,leave some small hills and cover for the animals,artistic landscaping we called it.
The main thing is water and erosion so you contour to hold water.
Things dont allways go back the same but thats the goal you shoot for on any project.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
earthquake, floods, volcanoes all change the land drastically to, and its all random, not thought out...

those arent random events, floodplains get flooded, subduction zones have volcanoes, earthquakes form along shear zones.....

Im leaving off on this topic sticking by with what i said, and saying that we need more leadership from the government... cause honestly who likes hearing that the government didnt do all its research on the topic till after the fact?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
those arent random events, floodplains get flooded, subduction zones have volcanoes, earthquakes form along shear zones.....

Im leaving off on this topic sticking by with what i said, and saying that we need more leadership from the government... cause honestly who likes hearing that the government didnt do all its research on the topic till after the fact?

Thats why in Alberta we do the research through the private sector as well as the govt.
We dont trust them either.:lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
They have to pay reclamation bonds just like all the other investors in the oilsands,in most cases the land is put back better then it was found.

I worked there back in the sixties and I re-visited the tar sand two years ago and the place is bloody disaster. Huge toxic tailing ponds that are probably leaching into the Athabasca river. The damn place should be shut down now, cleaned up and started fresh under new rules. This is too important to be left to the oil companies.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
look i appreciate that this thread hasnt decsended into the typical madness lets keep it up. Id like to see a thread seriously talked about that doesnt involve obama and resort to name calling..

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I worked there back in the sixties and I re-visited the tar sand two years ago and the place is bloody disaster. Huge toxic tailing ponds that are probably leaching into the Athabasca river. The damn place should be shut down now, cleaned up and started fresh under new rules. This is too important to be left to the oil companies.

I would have to see the water studys on the athabasca to really comment on that.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I would have to see the water studys on the athabasca to really comment on that.

You don't have to see the studies. You just have to read. If the dam around just one of the tailing ponds burst, we would forget all about the Exxon Valdez because this would be a thousand times worse.

For each gallon of crude we get, we throw away two and a half gallons of clean water. The project is a disaster from start to finish.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
You don't have to see the studies. You just have to read. If the dam around just one of the tailing ponds burst, we would forget all about the Exxon Valdez because this would be a thousand times worse.

For each gallon of crude we get, we throw away two and a half gallons of clean water. The project is a disaster from start to finish.

Ive built a few settling ponds and they are built to withstand earthquakes now.Compaction tests are done every deck laid down and plastic liners are also installed on top of the impermeable clay layer.
Ive read up quite a bit on it but mostly from the industrys side and its mostly all about being more efficient and producing less waste which also means more profits.
Theres a couple good unbiased articles in one of my magazines about the settling ponds and whats being done about them,they werent as bad as I thought.If I can get the article online without a subscription then ill post it.
Most water is recycled and reused in the extraction process and its getting more efficient also.