Drunken Breast Feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

triks

May 7, 2009
I know that occasional drinking is perfectly fine while breastfeeding. Only 2% even reaches the baby. But Xanax and Alcahol is totally different. I know that people die from mixing the two. Also i know that Xanax goes straight to the baby. So i was wondering what could happen to the baby when the two are mixed (since its so dangerouse for an adult to do to themselves).

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Alprazolam (Xanax is a brand name for it) is a sedative and muscle relaxant. You take alcohol with it and it may just stop all muscle activity in your body. The heart is an autonomic muscle, your autonomic muscles in your torso make your lungs pump air in and out, etc. The effects would likely be the same in your child.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yes I did read it, actually. It says, "Drunken Breast Feeding"

I kinda figured you stopped reading about there.

I guess I have to do your thinking for you. Here, I'll explain it in a little more depth for you. Alcohol is the source of the problem of FAS. Breast feeding is one of the delivery systems of alcohol to a baby.

Have you considered doing a little thinking for yourself? Like maybe thinking about the difference between the concentration of things delivered to the the fetus in vitro and what is delivered via breast milk.

You have issues with the information I have posted? Or is it that you don't like my delivery? I think it's likely my delivery. Sorry if you can't handle my directness. Sorry if you can't control yourself. I am sorry you got upset. All better now? I have a reputation? Awesome!! Let me in on the gossip, please. My mouth runs with facts, questions, sometimes opinions, an extremely rare expletive, and I am open to correction if the correction comes from someone qualified.
And people here don't know me, so the road goes two ways.

None other than it's irrelevant to the thread. No one is talking about some pregnant woman drinking. No one is disputing that drinking while pregnant can harm the fetus.

I don't mind directness at all. You're not being direct, you're acting rude. It's pretty funny that you expect for others to respect you while showing little yourself.

Well, I don't have a return policy on hugs. You can't give it back. You can only give me one of yours. hehehe

Whatever, I disregard stupid ideas like this. Hugs like respect are earned. As well I'll point out that a person deserving of respect is respectful when they are a guest. More so when they are new to a community which this is. So far, I haven't seen that you are respectful nor deserving of any respect here.

I am truly happy for you.

And I feel sorry for you.

You brought up the topic, silly. You said you were a better parent and know more than I do about motherhood. Remember? Besides, it's as much on topic as your comments about her bf and some alleged beating.

I'll stop quoting you now, because its apparent you have no idea about motherhood and babies.

For some self proclaimed archaeologist, you're not too good at history.
Of course the assault from her boyfriend is in the police report. Nothing at all about FAS is. Nothing at all about the mother drinking while pregnant. So much for you and the facts.

wow a whole book? Or was it a pamphlet about FAS?
Here, I'll explain it in simple terms; cops see a lot of drunk people.

Yet they still need to have a Breathalyzer or blood test showing alcohol levels are above the legal limit in court. Imagine the Court won't even take the good word of a police officer.

In my experience, they don't need to be medical experts to be able to tell when someone has been drinking, especially to excess.

Oh I see, your "experience" is it? Is that your field work experience or your Mommy experience? Personally I think you watch too much TV. But that's just my opinion.

They thought the woman was drunk. Alcohol causes FAS. One of the delivery systems for alcohol is breast feeding. See? Once you think about it, the concept is pretty straight forward.

Yeah the concept that you're out to lunch on this topic. It's straight forward if you don't mind jumping to conclusions and visiting fascist notions of harsh penalties on naive young ladies where a little counseling and support would solve the problem.

Consider the world beyond your nose.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So in giving this further thought Unf...

I'm not about to bend from my view that breastfeeding while drunk is bad. Taxed little livers are bad enough, but having a drunk person be the only person caring for a fragile infant can have disastrous consequences.

Where I am making an assumption is the same place you're making an assumption, and we're not going to come eye to eye on the story because of those assumptions. I assume the police could see her drunkenness better than I can see it through an article. You assume the police are lying about her drunkenness.

So, until we come to some sort of magical agreement on baseless assumptions (which I have yet to ever see happen).... I'll just leave it to the courts.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

I'm not about to bend from my view that breastfeeding while drunk is bad. Taxed little livers are bad enough, but having a drunk person be the only person caring for a fragile infant can have disastrous consequences.

Where I am making an assumption is the same place you're making an assumption, and we're not going to come eye to eye on the story because of those assumptions. I assume the police could see her drunkenness better than I can see it through an article. You assume the police are lying about her drunkenness.

So, until we come to some sort of magical agreement on baseless assumptions (which I have yet to ever see happen).... I'll just leave it to the courts.

Having done a lot of work with CAS, I wonder if a baby in the breast of a drunk isn't a symptom of a few bigger problems - FAS being the nastiest.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Having done a lot of work with CAS, I wonder if a baby in the breast of a drunk isn't a symptom of a few bigger problems - FAS being the nastiest.

I'd say it's definitely a red flag that there needs to be some intervention and some education at the least.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

No one said it wasn't bad. But I think that taking the baby away, railroading the mother and her ending up with a criminal record isn't the correct response to it.

I make no assumption here. In the report it's stated that there was no testing to back up the opinion of the officer who responded. I am sure you are aware that the justice system needs proof not allegations to reach a guilty verdict. We seem to be leaving that part out more and more these days. Habeas corpus is protection from tyranny.

This contradicts what you said just before it. As I said, the police can see drunkenness but there are tests for that. One is a field test to confirm what the police think. The other is a blood test. Neither were used. Why would a cop, fully understanding the law, fail to conduct those tests on a case that they charge someone with neglect?

As I said, if the lady had talked to a lawyer, she would have been out by lunchtime and the police would have no case against her.

I fully agree that women shouldn't breast feed babies while drunk. Don't get confused about that. It's that the police can walk into someone's home and arrest them, haul their kids off and railroad them into pleading to a lesser charge when they know they don't have the proof to back up the big charges they threaten.

Now a days, almost everyone knows that the Cops job isn't to dispense justice. It's to arrest and build a case against those they arrest through collection of evidence. This is a failure in that. This looks to me as though it's an intervention on behalf of the boyfriend, amounting to scare tactics used to coerce a confession of a lessor charge in trade for her freedom, that can be used against her at a later date.

And that is what I have a problem with.

With all the hullabaloo you guys are putting up over this, one would think this lady is a known baby killer that in some maniacal orgy of blood lust started lactating Sea Wasp venom.

In perspective, this first time mom was drunk probably for the first time in ten months and used poor judgment after being allegedly kneed to the face and slapped around at four in the morning, likely with a crying baby in one hand and the police asking her questions.

The huge mistake she made? She started to breast feed her kid.

Like I said, she needs some education and perhaps a little help with the kid. Not a criminal record, some serious federal jail time and her kid taken away.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Maybe, but that should be investigated rather than straight to verdict based on someone's opinion at 4am don't you think?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
A quick look about can come close to telling if the lady is more baby than booze. You know, the old temperence profile schtick: boozer = user = abuser.

What if they let one slip by?

They slip by in the thousands every year in North America. It's faulty reasoning of course. The vast majority of sexual predators on both women and children are men. If it has a penis lock it up. What happens if one should get by? The vast majority of those who neglect children are women. Lock them up too. Question is, who then is going to look after the children? All FAS babies come from pregnant women, should they all be locked up just in case? None of that works.

Education works. Not the crap we call education now, but the real stuff. You know what a co-op course is? All school aged children should be spending time though school helping mothers tend babies. Not a week long segment of grade 8 or something but all through school.

I think it wouldn't hurt for everyone to attend college and afterward enter the military for basic training and those who want to continue afterward can make that choice or go into something else. It's the discipline you see that counts.

I strongly disagree that people should be arrested based on "just in case".
This is different than those who clearly have a problem. In that case it's not difficult to prove and so I support that. As long as there is proof of abuse rather than the occurrence of a single moment of bad judgment when it comes to breast feeding anyway.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Since you want to be a douche bag, I'll not bother with the usual understanding and let you off for making the few mistakes you've made.

For starters you moron, the story isn't about FAS. Can you read or are you just too ****ing stupid? You do understand the difference between drinking while pregnant and drinking while breast feeding don't you. That was retorical, you obviously don't. Go ask Kerrie if drinking while breast feeding and drinking while pregnant are the same thing. She can explain it too you.

And just so you know, you idiot, I have probably forgotten more than you will ever know about motherhood and babies. Anytime you feel the urge to step up and take the pepsi ****ing challenge with me on the subject you just let me know.

Until then shut your ****ing pie hole and show some respect.

I think there's a nicer way of doing this. Like perhaps "the thread is about breast feeding not pregnancy and there is a difference :lol:"

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
They slip by in the thousands every year in North America. It's faulty reasoning of course. The vast majority of sexual predators on both women and children are men. If it has a penis lock it up. What happens if one should get by? The vast majority of those who neglect children are women. Lock them up too. Question is, who then is going to look after the children? All FAS babies come from pregnant women, should they all be locked up just in case? None of that works.

Education works. Not the crap we call education now, but the real stuff. You know what a co-op course is? All school aged children should be spending time though school helping mothers tend babies. Not a week long segment of grade 8 or something but all through school.

I think it wouldn't hurt for everyone to attend college and afterward enter the military for basic training and those who want to continue afterward can make that choice or go into something else. It's the discipline you see that counts.

I strongly disagree that people should be arrested based on "just in case".
This is different than those who clearly have a problem. In that case it's not difficult to prove and so I support that. As long as there is proof of abuse rather than the occurrence of a single moment of bad judgment when it comes to breast feeding anyway.

Congratulations Unf. Why did you bury this post in a response to me? You hit everything but the target. None of it applies to what I said.

In simple English ... if she's that wailed, she's probably been that wailed plenty of times before - especially if the environment suggests it. I said nothing about arrest or molestation or penises. I said the kid may be a candidate for FAS ... but that has absolutely NOTHING to do with breast feeding or boozy boobs.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
[/b]

I kinda figured you stopped reading about there.
Well, quit figuring that way because you're wrong.

Have you considered doing a little thinking for yourself? Like maybe thinking about the difference between the concentration of things delivered to the the fetus in vitro and what is delivered via breast milk.
No. I've never had a thought in my life. :roll:

None other than it's irrelevant to the thread. No one is talking about some pregnant woman drinking. No one is disputing that drinking while pregnant can harm the fetus.
Good. I hope no-one is disputing that alcohol in breast milk can be harmful, either.

I don't mind directness at all. You're not being direct, you're acting rude. It's pretty funny that you expect for others to respect you while showing little yourself.
No more rude than you, Dude. And I do show respect for people here. If you haven't seen any it's probably because you have no idea what it is.

Whatever, I disregard stupid ideas like this. Hugs like respect are earned. As well I'll point out that a person deserving of respect is respectful when they are a guest. More so when they are new to a community which this is. So far, I haven't seen that you are respectful nor deserving of any respect here.
To point it in your terms, "whatever".

And I feel sorry for you.
Oh, well. I am soooo crushed.:roll:

For some self proclaimed archaeologist, you're not too good at history.
And you aren't very good at reading. Wrong field of study. But, yes I hated history. Anthropology isn't history. There is physical anthro and cultural anthro.
Of course the assault from her boyfriend is in the police report.
How about that.Perhaps they investigated that further. It doesn't say in the news item.
Nothing at all about FAS is. Nothing at all about the mother drinking while pregnant. So much for you and the facts.
Look back, UF, and you'll notice I apologized for all that. I also accepted that I was confusing fetus' and babies in a reply to Karrie's post.
How very gracious of you to keep bringing it up like old puke.

Yet they still need to have a Breathalyzer or blood test showing alcohol levels are above the legal limit in court. Imagine the Court won't even take the good word of a police officer.
Whatever. The point is that the cops thought she was acting irresponsibly and neglectful in feeding her child while drunk. Whether charges stuck or not is irrelevant, it may have been the cops' intention just to scare her from doing it again.

Oh I see, your "experience" is it? Is that your field work experience or your Mommy experience? Personally I think you watch too much TV. But that's just my opinion.
"Our officers handle it so much that it is pretty much a general knowledge thing to know when someone is intoxicated. It's pretty obvious." So much for being just my opinion. Look, Having a husband who's a firefighter makes the opportunity to know cops quite a bit higher than Jane Doe, average citizen. So, no, it isn't my "field work experience" or my "mommy" experience. It's a wife experience. So what?

Yeah the concept that you're out to lunch on this topic. It's straight forward if you don't mind jumping to conclusions and visiting fascist notions of harsh penalties on naive young ladies where a little counseling and support would solve the problem.

Consider the world beyond your nose.
Speaking of jumping to conclusions, Mr. Pot......
I guess you missed a previous post of mine where I had stated what I would do, given that I were the judge. But then, you seem like the type to skim over what doesn't jive with your opinion and stick your finger in the icing of what does support you.
She is hardly a naive young lady. The cops had a record on her from before, according to the news item. But I guess that is another part you bypassed because it didn';t fit with your interpretation.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

I'm not about to bend from my view that breastfeeding while drunk is bad. Taxed little livers are bad enough, but having a drunk person be the only person caring for a fragile infant can have disastrous consequences. .......
I'm with you, Karrie. I don't think it's good for kids either.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
No one said it wasn't bad. But I think that taking the baby away, railroading the mother and her ending up with a criminal record isn't the correct response to it...........

Like I said, she needs some education and perhaps a little help with the kid. Not a criminal record, some serious federal jail time and her kid taken away.

"When police came to the home on April 13, Anvarinia, who had a criminal record," And you snivel about my facts. lmao

So much for your innocent, naive, young lady assumption.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
...and when they err too much on the side of caution or tears, they are accused for their negligence when it all goes down. Where do you put a line?
Hush up. Cops aren't supposed to err on the side of caution. Besides, they are big boys, they can handle flak from the public.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think there's a nicer way of doing this. Like perhaps "the thread is about breast feeding not pregnancy and there is a difference :lol:"
Karrie said something to that effect, too. And I made an apology for my error which apparently wasn't good enough. The ungracious lout wants to follow me around and drag it out wherever I post. How very noble and Christian of him, isn't it? (You don't have to answer) I even sent him a hug, but even that was thrown in my face. I'd hate to be his wife (if he still has one) and make a mistake. It'd be thrown in her face and dragged out all over town at every opportunity .

Status
Not open for further replies.