How about eggs?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Quiche is an easy dish that can be put together in minutes, after you come up with a pie crust.

Pie crust ingredients:

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
ice water

Directions:

Blend shortening, flour and salt with a fork.
Drizzle in ice water until the dough just sticks together.
Quickly form a ball and roll out so it will cover your pie plate
Trim and crimp the top edge.

Quiche ingredients:

3/4 cup grated cheese(Gruyer, Emmental, or Cheddar.)
4 eggs
two cups milk
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley
3 slices just crisp bacon cut into 1/2 inch pieces

Directions

Spread cheese on the bottom of pie shell
spread bacon over cheese
Whisk eggs, milk, and parsley together and pour over
cheese and bacon

Bake in 350 degree oven for forty minutes. Let the quiche cool for ten minutes and serve.

All kinds of things can be added to a quiche before cooking; like sliced mushrooms, shrimp, chopped spinach, sliced smoked salmon, etc...Go crazy..;-)

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sounds delicious - but - what on earth is 'shortening' ?

I don't know if I can help you if you haven't heard of shortening. Brand names of shortening: Crisco, Tenderflake, Hell, use lard..;-)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It's not quiche. It's bacon and egg pie with cheese....:p

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Sounds delicious - but - what on earth is 'shortening' ?

I remember you mentioning that you live in Britain. No wonder you don’t know what shortening is, I don't think it is a British word. Shortening means some kind of oil (edible oil, of course). I think the word is used only in North America.

Last edited:

Galadriel

Jun 14, 2009
I am going to try and make this today. In place of 'shortening' I will use a blend of butter and lard, as I would with pastry.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
Shortening is basically the same thing as lard, lard is fat. I wouldn't use oil instead of lard in a recipe becuase the oil would change the consistency of the batter. Lard is thick and fairly hard. Cooking oil is liquid.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I am going to try and make this today. In place of 'shortening' I will use a blend of butter and lard, as I would with pastry.

For really good pastry, lard is best. My mom told me years ago that to make nice, flaky pastry, you use lard and don't handle it too much. Good luck...;-)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
After all of these years gone by, I have stopped making devilled egg sandwitches,
I now cook a batch of scrambled eggs, not the true scrambelled egg, but ones
which you scramble in the pan while they are cooking.
I use grape seed oil, and margarine to cook eggs, and add chopped green onion
while they cook, (a little grated cheese could be added as well, optional)
While eggs cook, separate them into portions in pan, and form little omellettes,
then egg will hold together inside sandwitch.
Prepare sandwitches and add scrambled egg , while still warm.
Sandwitches are tasty and creamy, without having to add any mayonnaise at all.
Much nicer than devilled egg, and without that mayonnaise, healthier too.

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Yeah, one cannot buy shortening here in Germany... at least I haven't found it anywhere.

Should be able to find some substitute... it's only pie crust.

You live in Germany? I didn’t know.

Anyway, I remember that in Britain you could buy ready made pastry. There were two types, puff pastry and short crust pastry. You simply buy the pastry and line the pie plate with it.

Something like that may be available in Germany. It will save you the trouble of making pastry; you can buy it ready made.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You live in Germany? I didn’t know.

Anyway, I remember that in Britain you could buy ready made pastry. There were two types, puff pastry and short crust pastry. You simply buy the pastry and line the pie plate with it.

Something like that may be available in Germany. It will save you the trouble of making pastry; you can buy it ready made.

I can't believe you can't buy lard in Germany. I was in Germany for three and a half years with the Airforce. I didn't do any cooking but I certainly sampled all kinds of great pastry. People must be able to buy Schweinfett or lard.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Talloola, I have found that yogurt works quite well in many places where mayonnaise is used. And it has a lot fewer calories. Mayonnaises is around 70% oil.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

Talloola, I have found that yogurt works quite well in many places where mayonnaise is used. And it has a lot fewer calories. Mayonnaises is around 70% oil.

That's right, we use yogurt with our breakfast every morning, on our oatmeal,
with granola, ground flax & sesame seeds, mashed banana, a couple of walnuts, and a drizzle of maple syrup over the top.
I use yogurt in place of whipping cream in many cases as well, but there are
times when you can't replace whipping cream with anything else.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
After all of these years gone by, I have stopped making devilled egg sandwitches,
I now cook a batch of scrambled eggs, not the true scrambelled egg, but ones
which you scramble in the pan while they are cooking.
I use grape seed oil, and margarine to cook eggs, and add chopped green onion
while they cook, (a little grated cheese could be added as well, optional)
While eggs cook, separate them into portions in pan, and form little omellettes,
then egg will hold together inside sandwitch.
Prepare sandwitches and add scrambled egg , while still warm.

Sounds good Talloola

A few years back I bought a set of crumpet forms. They are just a round metal ring about an inch high and maybe five inches in diameter. You can whip up a kind of two egg omelet, put one of these rings on your hot greased pan and pour in your omelet. Once it is in and cooking, you can add a tablespoon of water to the pan and put on the lid. The egg will be solid in about three minutes. They fit an ordinary sandwich nicely. In the omelet I dump in chopped ham, onions, diced cheddar....whatever...;-)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Has anyone here successfully used those little egg cups with the lid to cook eggs in the microwave? I can't seem to find the combination between mostly raw and petrified.