How about eggs?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Has anyone here successfully used those little egg cups with the lid to cook eggs in the microwave? I can't seem to find the combination between mostly raw and petrified.

I used to constantly make eggs in the microwave when I was a kid. For a fried egg sandwich effect we would simply scramble an egg into a square tupperware dish... it would fit the sandwich perfectly that way, and you could watch to make sure you didn't petrify it. As for the cups, I've never tried because I've stopped microwaving any kind of plastic.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I used to constantly make eggs in the microwave when I was a kid. For a fried egg sandwich effect we would simply scramble an egg into a square tupperware dish... it would fit the sandwich perfectly that way, and you could watch to make sure you didn't petrify it. As for the cups, I've never tried because I've stopped microwaving any kind of plastic.

We have Pyrex and Corningware dishes with lids that work after a fashion, but they get really hot in the microwave. Jan bought a set of bright yellow plates because she liked the color. The plates were made in China and a note on the bottom attested that they were microwave-safe. While reheating some leftovers, one of these new yellow plates exploded into a hundred pieces. I assume they are only safe in Chinese microwaves...;-):lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
That's scarry juan, hope you found all the little pieces of glass.

Just a side note of interest: (maybe). My grandaughter is staying the phillipines
for two months working with homeless children, and sending us little pieces of info
regarding their food.
They eat eggs, with the chickens (or ducks),still in them, (only at night though), ???? some sort of custom, and if it is daytime, one must put on a blindfold.
For me, they would have to add a straighjacket.;-)
Pigs ears, intestines, I just can't continue, I'm gagging.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Just a side note of interest: (maybe). My grandaughter is staying the phillipines
for two months working with homeless children, and sending us little pieces of info
regarding their food.
They eat eggs, with the chickens (or ducks),still in them, (only at night though), ???? some sort of custom, and if it is daytime, one must put on a blindfold.

What is funny, is the fact that the turntable in the microwave never gets hot. Gee, a hot flash. Why don't we make microwave dishes out of the same material as the turntable.;-):roll:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

regarding their food.

I once opened a chicken egg that had a lot of blood and a partially formed embryo in it. We got those eggs from a farmer who advertised good prices on eggs. Prices weren't nearly good enough. Didn't do my appetite much good.......Nor would pig's ears or intestines..;-):lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

regarding their food.

On an intellectual level, I don't get why you're gagging.... we eat intestines in a lot of Western cooking... usually as casing for our sausages which are made of any assortment of gross scrap meats. We sell pork rinds, which is really not much different from pig ears. And the fact that people chaw down salmon bones in canned fish doesn't seem any grosser than eating half formed chicken bones.

On another level though, I have issues with texture, etc., and the thought of eating egg with crunchy bits... blech.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
On an intellectual level, I don't get why you're gagging.... we eat intestines in a lot of Western cooking... usually as casing for our sausages which are made of any assortment of gross scrap meats. We sell pork rinds, which is really not much different from pig ears. And the fact that people chaw down salmon bones in canned fish doesn't seem any grosser than eating half formed chicken bones.

On another level though, I have issues with texture, etc., and the thought of eating egg with crunchy bits... blech.

It's all in the brain, what we are accustomed to over the years, and I'm sure
there are many who would gag thinking of some of the food we eat, I don't
eat port rinds, yeah those salmon bones get mashed into the meat, so seem
to dissapear, you're right about the sausages of course, but again the brain
doesn't see it that way, but we don't eat intestines by themselves.
I know my dad used to eat tripe, and loved it, and I wouldn't touch it with a
ten foot pole.
Eggs are one of my favourite foods, in any form, (not raw), and I don't want
to do anything to 'put me off of eggs', and the above would do it.
My grandaughter tried it all, 'didn't like the pigs ear'.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Talloola, tripe and onion is a common dish in Britain.

Eggs are one of my favourite foods, in any form, (not raw),

Do you drink eggnog? Surely it has raw eggs?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

lol I am with you on that. I don't like fish canned with bones still in; it's like eating bits of chalk. We make our own sausages sometimes, and are picky about which meats go into them. Moose is best because we mix it with bacon (home cured) from the fellow down the road.
Eggs are awesome any way I can get em cept rotten and raw.
Poached in cream and loaded onto slabs of sourdough. Yummy
Scrambled eggs with Louisiana Hot Sauce in them on toast is also damned yummy.
Nix the ughnog.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Talloola, tripe and onion is a common dish in Britain.

Eggs are one of my favourite foods, in any form, (not raw),

Do you drink eggnog? Surely it has raw eggs?

Yep, my parents were born in dublin, dad and london/eng, mom, and she hated
tripe, but cooked for my dad.

Yeah, I've had egg nog, some of which I didn't like, tasted too raw eggy,
but I like the commercial type.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yep, my parents were born in dublin, dad and london/eng, mom, and she hated
tripe, but cooked for my dad.

Yeah, I've had egg nog, some of which I didn't like, tasted too raw eggy,
but I like the commercial type.
lol Of the ughnog I ever tried, all were overspiced with nutmeg so I dopn't even bother. And Les has to have a good dose of rum in it before he'll drink the stuff. lol

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

I like all kinds of sausage, particularly breakfast sausage which my butcher will sell in twenty five foot lengths. I guess I know that the sausage is made from filled intestinal casings but I try not to dwell on it.
I think I would rather chew up the bones in canned salmon than try to eat the bones in grilled salmon, though I love grilled salmon.;-)
Half formed chicken is another subject.....Not even close to food in my opinion...:roll::lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I like all kinds of sausage, particularly breakfast sausage which my butcher will sell in twenty five foot lengths. I guess I know that the sausage is made from filled intestinal casings but I try not to dwell on it.
I think I would rather chew up the bones in canned salmon than try to eat the bones in grilled salmon, though I love grilled salmon.;-)
Half formed chicken is another subject.....Not even close to food in my opinion...:roll::lol:

When preparing canned salmon for sandwiches, little bones, which are fully
cooked anyway just get mashed up and dissapear, so not a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
My favorite egg dish is a smoked salmon and cream cheese omelet.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

I have a problem eating fish mixed with anything, as I'm not a fish lover, but I
do like smoked salmon, a little at a time. I'll think about it.:x no, I really will.:-? I just had seafood chowder the other day, (which I love), kind of contradicts
what I said, but it has to be an exception I guess, and it had smoked salmon in
it, tasted great.
When in Courtenay, and wanting to have a great meal, go to 'Locals', the food
is top notch, all fresh, and locally purchased or grown.
Call ahead for reservation and request one of their private booths.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

That sounds good.
Tonight we are having a Qui.....;-)....An egg and cheese pie with Smoked salmon and Spinach added.