Help me find Sober People

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
kerrie asked in her/his post #34:

"who are you talking to yukonjack?"

I always make reference to whom I responding, either by name or post number.

You figure it out for yourself.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Sober people are over rated.

You could try the Mosque, those buggers don't drink. Of course you have to sit through Allah this and Mohammad that and jihad every other Wednesday.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
kerrie asked in her/his post #34:

"who are you talking to yukonjack?"

I always make reference to whom I responding, either by name or post number.

You figure it out for yourself.

Jacki, you being European and all, why do you drink Moosehead?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
There are some, like myself, who don't drink just because they don't like the taste or the effects. They are not that hard to find. I don't restrict my associations to any group based on consumption, religion or politics. People are just people and all are worth knowing, some more or less than others.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"You could try the Mosque, those buggers don't drink. Of course you have to sit through Allah this and Mohammad that and jihad every other Wednesday."

Just like during Ramaddan. They starve thru the day then pig out after sunset.

If you think that Muslims reject alcohol, talk to the RICH Muslims.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
DurkaDurka, I never thought that I would ever receive a decent question from you.
You surprised me with:

"Jacki, you being European and all, why do you drink Moosehead? "

While I like Moosehead, I prefer a Quebec beer called "La Fin Du Monde", meaning for the illiterate, "the end of the world"..

It is 9% alcohol, so you better not try it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

You could try the Mosque, those buggers don't drink. Of course you have to sit through Allah this and Mohammad that and jihad every other Wednesday.

Isn't jihad just a muslim word for crusade? Right now Alleyayz is on a holy war against sin. That is kind of a jihad. Hope he dosn't have any explosives!8O

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There are some, like myself, who don't drink just because they don't like the taste or the effects. They are not that hard to find. I don't restrict my associations to any group based on consumption, religion or politics. People are just people and all are worth knowing, some more or less than others.

Yep, you said a mouthful there, Cliff.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Bingo!

Me and booze have a great working relationship. I don't swallow ... I don't get sick.

I've been around the AA/NA crowd and couldn't fit in. A lot too preachy, too many posers and way too many neurotics.

I've been around the Churchies. A lot too preachy, too may posers and way too many neurotics.

Like Cliffy said: "They are not hard to find...." Most times, we're like the light in a bug zapper ... and attract too many preachers, too many posers and way too many neurotics. I'm not perfect. Who is?

I like my place in the bush....

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
DurkaDurka, I never thought that I would ever receive a decent question from you.
You surprised me with:

"Jacki, you being European and all, why do you drink Moosehead? "

While I like Moosehead, I prefer a Quebec beer called "La Fin Du Monde", meaning for the illiterate, "the end of the world"..

It is 9% alcohol, so you better not try it.

I have tried Maudite (8%), which is brewed by the same company apparently.
Wapedia - Wiki: Unibroue

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

By whom? Once in a blue moon you meet people who a little booze seems to improve, but mainly I can't find much fault with a sober person.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I like my place in the bush....

I'm with you there. When I moved to the bush in '72 I just wanted to get as far away from all these lunatics as I could. But it quickly dawned on me that I was one too and that if all I had for company was me, I would become completely insane in a very short time. Now I take people in short spurts an a daily basis. Not quite as traumatic and I enjoy them, for the most part.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I'm with you there. When I moved to the bush in '72 I just wanted to get as far away from all these lunatics as I could. But it quickly dawned on me that I was one too and that if all I had for company was me, I would become completely insane in a very short time. Now I take people in short spurts an a daily basis. Not quite as traumatic and I enjoy them, for the most part.

I'm not THAT far out in the bush ... just far enough :lol: Lunies are all about. Got easier when I learned to say No....

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Yeah, sometimes I'm not sure what to make of S.J. either. I do get the impression that he believes that conservatism, religion and teetotalling are bad traits. I'm sure he'll point out that I'm wrong.

JLM, you already know my views about conservatism and religion. The two are closely related (in general, the more religious a person, the more conservative he is) and both are nonsense in my opinion.

As to not drinking, I don’t have views one way or the other. People may come at it from the right or the left. On the right, of course, there are the Fundamentalists, Mormons etc. who frown in drinking. On the left, I can see some nature loving people, who want to go back to nature, giving up alcohol. After all, alcohol does not occur in nature.

However, I assume most non drinkers in Alberta would be of the religious variety, rather than the nature lovers.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
By whom? Once in a blue moon you meet people who a little booze seems to improve, but mainly I can't find much fault with a sober person.

There is nothing wrong with a sober person, the problem is people with whom abstinence is usually associated. People like Mohammed Atta, Osama Ben Laden, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Dr. Dobson etc., these are the prominent teetotalers. It was the Fundamentalists who stuck the USA with a constitutional amendment banning alcohol.

So it is not any wonder that the average person would look at abstinence with suspicion.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Sure I don't. So what is your point?"

SirJosephPorter, for one who claims that he doesn't take what I say seriously, you answer/respond to all my posts with an alarming regularity.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
"Sure I don't. So what is your point?"

SirJosephPorter, for one who claims that he doesn't take what I say seriously, you answer/respond to all my posts with an alarming regularity.

Hey, I will respond to any post I want. And respond to all of your posts? Didn’t you complain to me a while ago that I don’t respond to your posts if you don’t ask a direct question, and that you diligently respond to each and every post addressed to you? Or have you forgotten that?

Erin8

Jun 17, 2009
www.sobermove.com
There is a fair amount of drinking/drugs in Alberta, especially if you get around the oil fields in places like Fort McMurry. I have nothing against going out for a couple drinks. But I'm sure one day people who are relying on crack, speed, cocaine to get them through the day, are going to realize they can't do it forever. And when they're sick of that lifestyle I'm sure they will find it important to live with someone who is not interested in it either. The website is not to say that people have to segregate themselves from friends or family that have the occasional drink, but I think it's important to match lifestyles when you're looking for a roommate. The same reason a tidy person doesn't want to live with a slob, a sober person isn't going to want to live with a lush.