Help me find Sober People

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Seems to me some Mormons drink too, but maybe I'm wrong.

Joey confuses Church position with member action. Just because the Catholic church is against abortion doesn't mean Catholics don't get abortions. He assumes they are sheep. He is, as usual, hopelessly wrong.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Drinking has nothing to do with religious or political orientation- that is just plain stupid, with perhaps the exception of Mennonites or Hutterites of which the population is very small.

JLM, fundamentalist Christians of all stripes do not smoke or drink. I remember in one of the presidential elections in USA, the Republican delegation from one of the Bible Belt states had a fundamentalist majority. They immaterially instituted strict anti-alcohol policy, the delegates were not allowed to go to the bar and have a drink. It caused a big stink.

So get your facts straight, it is not only Mormons, Mennonites etc. who have prohibition against smoking and drinking. The whole of religious right, of whatever denomination, condemn smoking and drinking and abstain from it (or at least they say they do). They are the ones which caused USA to pass constitutional amendment to ban alcohol.

Since religious right is strong in Alberta, it stands to reason that there probably are many non drinkers in Alberta.

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Thanks, I wasn't certain which sects abstain from drinking I was just trying to give S.J. the benefit of the doubt. Seems to me some Mormons drink too, but maybe I'm wrong.

Mormons don’t drink, JLM. They abstain from alcohol, tobacco, tea and coffee. There are Mormons who have strayed from the faith, they do drink. In Utah they have a name for them, they are called Jack Mormons.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Some Baptists, 7th Day Adventists, most Penetcostals, etc are abstainers.

In many cases, it's not as cut and dried as some would like to suggest.

I think you'd have to be careful about what part of Alberta you're talking about - the big money of the oil patch tends to mean a lot of drugs and alcohol in easy abundance.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Let me say what SirJosephPorter always says:

Provide a link!

Pertaining to what he said here:

"JLM, fundamentalist Christians of all striped do not smoke or drink. I remember in one of the presidential elections in USA, the Republican delegation from one of the Bible Belt states had a fundamentalist majority. They immaterially instituted strict anti-alcohol policy, the delegates were not allowed to go to the bar and have a drink. It caused a big stink."

Word underlined indicates his foolish dependency on the spell checker.

Secondly, he always accuses me of being a fundamentalist. How can that be, when I DO adore an alcoholic beverage and probably hold it a heck of a lot better than SirJosephPorter holds his diluted wine concoctions.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Some Baptists, 7th Day Adventists, most Penetcostals, etc are abstainers.

Indeed, TenPenny, those are the Fundamentalists, that is exactly what I have been saying. There isn’t a denomination called Fundamentalism. Fundamentalists are in all the Protestant denominations (I think Southern Baptist is predominantly Fundamentalist). So you will find people in almost every Protestant denomination who do not drink.

Since religious right (Fundamentalism) is very strong in Alberta, it stands to reason that many Albertans, (perhaps a substantial) minority are non drinkers.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I think you'd have to be careful about what part of Alberta you're talking about - the big money of the oil patch tends to mean a lot of drugs and alcohol in easy abundance.

Maybe they balance out the numerous non drinkers and are responsible for the bars and pubs that JLM was talking about.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Secondly, he always accuses me of being a fundamentalist. How can that be, when I DO adore an alcoholic beverage and probably hold it a heck of a lot better than SirJosephPorter holds his diluted wine concoctions.

Yukon, I call you a Fundamentalist in opinions, in politics, not in religion. When I call you a Fundamentalist, that is a descriptive term, describing you politics, not your religion. You agree with Fundamentalists on most issues, such as abortion, gay rights, contraception, death penalty etc. That makes you an ‘honorary’ Fundamentalist, though obviously not one in religion.

I assume being a Catholic you disagree with Fundamentalists on obscure, religious issues such as salvation, grace, the role of Mary (Jesus’ mother etc.).

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Would the large influx of people from the east coast skew the numbers in Alberta I wonder? We have turned drinking into an art form. Yes, there are plenty of homegrown Albertans who can toss them back with the best of them. But take the east coasters out of the equation and the province would lose it's position on the scale. IMO.

Past the lips and over the gums....look out belly here she comes.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Erin, I admire your attempt.

Unfortunately, you're not going to find many religious people who are willing to live their life according to one small aspect of their faith. If someone's religion calls for them to not drink, they may not drink, but, they likely don't have such an issue with it that they will avoid friends and family who do drink, or feel the need to sequester themselves away from alcohol in a specialized living arrangement.

It may very likely end up being of much more help to recovering alcoholics, but then, who really wants to live with a recovering alcoholic if you want to avoid alcohol? They are most notorious for not staying recovered all the time.

Ultimately, I think the reasons, and ways, that people avoid alcohol, are going to be so incredibly varied that the idea of trying to pair people as roommates will be a large challenge. I'd love to see it work out for you. Let us know how it goes.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
SirJosephPorter, on another thread you - in a rather uppity manner - declared that you don't take anything I say seriously.

I was hoping you were true to your word, but, alas, no such luck!

Your last post is nothing but a desperate spin of a loser.

I will leave it at that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Let me say what SirJosephPorter always says:

Provide a link!

Pertaining to what he said here:

"JLM, fundamentalist Christians of all striped do not smoke or drink. I remember in one of the presidential elections in USA, the Republican delegation from one of the Bible Belt states had a fundamentalist majority. They immaterially instituted strict anti-alcohol policy, the delegates were not allowed to go to the bar and have a drink. It caused a big stink."

Word underlined indicates his foolish dependency on the spell checker.

Yeah, sometimes I'm not sure what to make of S.J. either. I do get the impression that he believes that conservatism, religion and teetotalling are bad traits. I'm sure he'll point out that I'm wrong.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hello,
I am looking for individuals living an alcohol and drug free lifestyle and am looking for ideas on where to find these people in Edmonton. Does anyone have any ideas on sober activities in and around the city?

Last I heard there was a small enclave of both male and female, non-drinking, non-smoking, vegetarian, virgins living in a cave near Red Deer. They are probably gone now. They probably OD'd on accordion music.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Last I heard there was a small enclave of both male and female, non-drinking, non-smoking, vegetarian, virgins living in a cave near Red Deer. They are probably gone now. They probably OD'd on accordion music.

lol. I was going to comment that the only non-drinkers I know are the left wing atheists you'll find hanging out at yoga lofts. But I wasn't sure anyone would believe that they exist in Alberta. According to some we consist solely of redneck rightwing religious types. lol.

But, in all seriousness Erin, you might be able to find a group for teetotalers at the university.