Legalized Cat Killing

wallybipster

May 5, 2009
so, if it isn't a problem for people to let their predators wander through other peoples yards and in the wild, I wonder what would happen if I took up falconry, and had a raptor perch in my yard, letting the bird out to hunt down cats. After all, it's merely following it's own instincts, and as my pet, it is entitled to kill all the cats and small dogs it wishes. Not my problem if others don't like it. I can't control its instincts, and it would be inhumane to deny the animal the right to hunt wherever it chooses, using my house as a home base.

Again, cat lovers are not animal lovers, and only facilitate ecological destruction, and mass death of other animals in the name of keeping fluffy from being depressed. Ludicrous.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Cats are here for a reason, they make nice pets. It is those stupid so called pet lovers who let them be outside animals because they want a cat, but not the responsibility that goes with it. There is no more efficient predator than the common house cat. Keep Fluffy as a indoor pet.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
You ever try and walk a cat on a leash, almost impossible, they can get out of almost anything. :) Best is just keep them as a indoor pet.

wallybipster

May 5, 2009
I love the moral high ground that some previous posters have taken, by saying it's horrible to inflict death on cats and anything else, and in the same post aknowledging that cats inflict death on wildlife. So you are saying that active killing of animals by humans is atrocious, and yet passive killing by allowing your cat to roam free is just fine. This doesn't sound like morality to me, only cheap irresponsibility, and the same type of cowardly thinking that has been in place ever since modern humans divorced themselves from the realities of their food supply.

I'm just glad that those loose neighborhood cats are going to be the first to disappear when our modern society crumbles, and they are seen by desperate people as food and not over-pampered, people-subsidized killing machines;-).

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I love the moral high ground that some previous posters have taken, by saying it's horrible to inflict death on cats and anything else, and in the same post aknowledging that cats inflict death on wildlife. So you are saying that active killing of animals by humans is atrocious, and yet passive killing by allowing your cat to roam free is just fine. This doesn't sound like morality to me, only cheap irresponsibility, and the same type of cowardly thinking that has been in place ever since modern humans divorced themselves from the realities of their food supply.

I'm just glad that those loose neighborhood cats are going to be the first to disappear when our modern society crumbles, and they are seen by desperate people as food and not over-pampered, people-subsidized killing machines;-).

One of my cats was caught and killed and eaten by a cougar, that's life.
My friends dog was attacked in her backyard by a cougar, dragged out
of the yard, and eaten while still in sight, that's life.
Life goes on, animals kill and eat other animals, humans kill other humans
just because they don't like them, or their religion, some even eat them.
We have lots of birds all over the neighbourhood. I fed hundreds of birds all
winter, right on a rug on our patio, the cat watched from the window, but
those birds came from everywhere as there was lots of snow, not much food.
The few birds that my cat catches and eats in the summer, don't make a dent
in our bird population. In the summer I have two bird feeders, which I put in
an 'open' area of the yard, so that the cat can't hide or sneak up on them,
they can see her easily, there are hundreds of trees in my area, so lots and lots
of birds.
At our golf course, little ducklings are born every spring, and in no time the
eagles, (that nest close by) catch all of them, and the parents have no more
ducklings, seems so sad, but natural and the way it is, of course the eagles
are wild, and just want to feed their own, I understand that, that's life.
I stated above how I feel about irresponsible animal owners, but you certainly
are not going to have any effect on how I live with my cat and dog, not in
a million years.
I will never ban my cat to the indoors, (unless I lived in an apartment), but
probably would not get a cat then, confining an animal indoors is cruel, it
isn't just a pet, but a live animal, not little 'fluff', but a creation of the earth,
to live on the earth as we all do, not shut in someones house.
Animal owners must take responsibility to 'spay and neuter' their animals so
that they don't breed, and have prepared dirt/sand areas in their yards for
their animals to use.
Our cat did use our next door neighbours dirt areas under his trees, so we talked
about that, and he decided to put rocks around his trees, solved that problem,
and he didn't want me to scold, or keep our cat indoors at all, he found a
solution that worked, and the cat lost interest in his yard.

wallybipster

May 5, 2009
It is part of life. That's why I see nothing in allowing feral cats to be killed that is different than any other lawfully sanctioned animal killing. You can't have it both ways and make a cats life worth more than the life of any other animal, pet or wild. To say otherwise is an argument based purely on emotion.

To grant feral cats the right to exist more than the wildlife they prey on is ludicrous and sick. To give cats the advantage over any other animal that is rounded up living wild under a porch is disgusting. Why is the cat trapped, neutered, and released (to continue to kill unnaturally), while the raccoon or skunk is simply killed. These distinctions are purely based on emotion, that's what sickens me.

And this argument that keeping a cat indoors is inhumane is silly. Everything a pet goes through to be a pet is inhumane in some way. If you never let your cat become an outdoor cat, it will be perfectly happy, at least in the experience of the cats I used to own. All pets have wild in them that cannot be fully expressed in the "civilised" world. So entertain your cat inside and deal with it.

It's too bad that irresponsible people can't be trapped, neutered, and released somewhere else.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Cats breed like, well, rabbits. Up to 4 litters of up to 8 per litter per cat per year. Toms wander around all over the place and as many as 4 can impregnate a female viably.
The problem is that it is people causing a cat problem. "Fixing" cats only works on those you can nab.

wallybipster

May 5, 2009
BTW, I'm glad you're an ornithologist talloola. Do you even know what kinds of burds your cat is eating? And for the most part in urban areas, the bird thing isn't as big a problem, since most of the birds are common pest species anyway. But I watched a friends cat come back with a rather rare woodpecker in it's mouth once, and I can guarantee you that one killing had a significant impact in the local bird population.

By using the logic that there are plenty of birds, so it's ok, especially since I feed them, I can go out and shoot cats (or allow my big dog to kill cats) because there are plenty of them, they aren't going extinct, and I have a cat that I feed at home. Nice. I'll tell the SPCA that when I get arrested for animal cruelty.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is my issue with tossing "Fluffy" out the front door to free-range
the neighborhood.

A couple of years back, across the street & over a house, some people
renting a house had (I believe) eleven cats that free-ranged the neighborhood,
fighting & mating (both sound amazingly similar) in the vacant lot beside my
house through the night, and on two different occasions one of their cats sprayed
through the screen of an open window into the living-room (onto the carpet &
furniture) through the screen of my basement suite (=Enzyme based Carpet
fabric cleaners and carpet steam cleaner rentals and such...=$$$ & time &
hassle on my part...& no concern or cost to the cat owners what so ever).

The first time I went and asked nicely to for these folks to corral their critters.
that didn't go over well as I was "just another trouble making Cracker." The
second time I didn't ask as nicely, and called the Humane Society who could
not do much, as these people claimed to only have two cats (not the ones I'd
described coming & going from their house).

Who should (and who actually has to) bear the costs for the damages
caused by "Fluffy" due to the negligence of those owners who are not
responsible enough to control their pets???

wallybipster

May 5, 2009
You have to bear the cost. Very few cat owners would listen to you seriously about something their free range cat did, and give you any restitution. The ones that are that reasonable are generally the ones that are responsible enough not to foster free-range terrors.

It sounds like you are hosed on that. And anything you do to protect your property from future cat damage must conform to rigid "don't harm our cute pet" standards, or you risk getting in trouble with the law. I bet you would have less trouble with the law if you shot a burgler who entered your home, than a shooting a cat who continually damages your property with so much as a bb gun.

Cats are given way too many rights. No other animal or person is given the free range to go wherever they want in the neighborhood, and do whatever they want.

wallybipster

May 5, 2009
Can any cat lover tell me why it should be my job to keep other peoples pets out of my yard? And why I have so few recourses to do so?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is my issue with tossing "Fluffy" out the front door to free-range
the neighborhood.

Who should (and who actually has to) bear the costs for the damages
caused by "Fluffy" due to the negligence of those owners who are not
responsible enough to control their pets???

P.S. Both times (about 5 days apart) it was the front small
window on the front bottom right corner of my house, and both
times my dogs where at that gate (but behind it) going nuts as
that cat was 4 feet away spraying through that screen into my
tenants livingroom. :angryfire:

Both times it cost me about $100 each, and my time, and
running back and forth with rental steam cleaners....and I
wasn't the only one on this block that this happened to either...:angry3:

I have Friends two blocks away that this happened to, that
described the same cat doing the same thing to their suite,
but thankfully it was into their kitchen with no carpet or
upholstered furniture. :-?

wallybipster

May 5, 2009
"but our fluffy would never do such a thing. She only sits peacefully in the grass all day and poops roses. You must be thinking of someone elses cat"

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Here, this ought to start a ruckus.

My dad was in signals in WW11. He brought home the little charge box that they cranked up to use their radios. Those boxes put out a high voltage, low amp charge. Once I put a butter knife across the poles and melted it, sending molten metal beads flying across the hard wood floor. My parents were not impressed.

Anyway, I slept in a below ground level room with a window at ground level (the house was a split level). One summer a cat would come to the widow at 4am and scratch on the metal screen until it would "sing" and wake me up. It did this every morning for a week. I finally wired the charge box to the window screen and when the cat woke me up I gave the handle a quick spin. The cat screamed and went flying backwards so far it disappeared from site. It never came back to wake me up again. I was 18 at the time. I fell back to sleep instantly, no regret or guilt.

wallybipster

May 5, 2009
You're a monster!! I bet you ripped the wings off of flys too, and are now a full-fledged serial killer.

Nice job BTW