Legalized Cat Killing

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
To kill a cat in an effort to solve the problem is absurd and sooooooooooooooo intolerable. Following this short sided mindset lets kill all the wolfs, foxs, cougars, bears, who come close to society. To kill one to save the other when in fact both were put here for a reason, is like telling nature to go and f her self and we do it the vigilantly way any animal that gets in the way lets reduce it in numbers and only allow man with the small mine set take over and move in the animal habitat and claim that land to be man’s land taken from the animals....... That is demented my forum friend and some ones priorities are bent or broken.

An animal that is a pest needs to be eliminated. These cats are no different....

wallybipster

May 5, 2009
umm, ok. So feral cats were put here for a reason, really? Ok. So why not just put whatever animals anyone wants anywhere and just let them go whatever they want. Sounds just what nature intended.

My point is that cat lovers have no problem with the death cats inflict on wildlife. I think that is just as sick as wanting to harm any animal needlessly.

The more I read your post, you seem to believe that cats a here for a reason. I also believe cats are here for a reason, as pets. They should not be tolerated beyond that role. You are telling mother nature to screw herself by tolerating an introduced predator that is also being subsidized by man in the process to create unnatural devastation on wild ecosystems. Have fun with your disney life, it doesn't work that way. Thankfully the coyotes don't show the same mercy towards cats that people do, and view them as just another animal, as they should.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
An animal that is a pest needs to be eliminated. These cats are no different....

Good day Risus, so what about man who constantly wastes and pollutes and continues to invade animal habitat in the name of a buck.

If this mentality was to be extended to all the other species that come close to humanity because humanity chose to move in their territory, with in 200 years many species will become extinct.

The method to solve this problem is called birth control, I am sure science can produce a method that can be humane as well intelligent, rather then barbaric, but barbaric has conservative roots.

wallybipster

May 5, 2009
Again, why do gats deserve a humane solution more than any other animal? ludicrous. I'd love it if there were a humane solution. But we don't live in a fairy tale.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
First things first, I have a basement suite, & my Tenants have two cats
(& a dog), and those cats don't go outside. been that way for four years.
My Tenants are responsible pet owners.

I live in Regina, SK. There is no shortage of feral cats here, or Idiots that
believe it's just fine to free-range their cats...toss "Fluffy" out the front
door and let it back in when/if it comes back...I do have a problem with
this.

A couple of years back, across the street & over a house, some people
renting a house had (I believe) eleven cats that free-ranged the neighborhood,
fighting & mating (both sound amazingly similar) in the vacant lot beside my
house through the night, and on two different occasions one of their cats sprayed
through the screen of an open window into the living-room (onto the carpet &
furniture) through the screen of my basement suite (=Enzyme based Carpet
fabric cleaners and carpet steam cleaner rentals and such...).

The first time I went and asked nicely to for these folks to corral their critters.
that didn't go over well as I was "just another trouble making Cracker." The
second time I didn't ask as nicely, and called the Humane Society who could
not do much, as these people claimed to only have two cats (not the ones I'd
described coming & going from their house).

I went to get humane cat traps from the Humane Society, but the temperature
had dipped below zero overnight about a week before (& and got very nice
again for several weeks), so policy said no more traps 'till spring. My hunting
these cats would have been illegal, and they owners of the cats wouldn't do
anything, and trying to catch a semi-feral cat on foot is darn near impossible,
and letting my dogs do it would have been cruelty, and the Humane Society's
hands where tied. Tough spot.

I learned that I could throw a pretty wicked (& fairly accurate) spiral with an
old pair of steel toed work shoes when I had to. It was an ugly situation...
Eventually the folks across the street fell behind on their rent and pulled a
midnight move, and abandoned about 1/2 a dozen cats that weren't home
when they moved. I'm assuming those froze to death or got run over or just
disappeared over the next several months...in some humane way I'm sure.

I know that if I free-ranged my dogs, it would be even odds that they would
be trapped or shot, or both...and I would be fined. I don't see a valid argument
for allowing irresponsible cat owners to free-range their animals. But what do
I know....

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Why don't we also trap, neuter, and release other problem animals, like coyotes, or skunks? I know those animals never get the same courtesy when they are picked up by animal control.
No. The right answer is that all cats picked up by animal control should be neutered or spayed. It's not harsh. It is far better than killing them at random. My dog has diabetes and today we had to take him in for his yearly blood check up. Vets always have signs with info rolling across it. What it stated today was that one female and one male cat and their offspring can generate 128,000 cats over a seven year period. Shocking isn't it? A lot of cats make their way into the SPCA because people cannot afford the Vet's fee to spay or neuter them. Kittens are placed in plastic bags and left by the roadside. Some are left right in the middle of the highway in a plastic bag. The mere idea turns my stomach. You may want to re-think your thoughts regarding having animal control spay and neuter them. They have a better chance to live and to live with a family.
I just googled my numbers to be sure I was right. I still think I am but google says 400,000 (not 128,000). What if the info on google is right?

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Again, why do gats deserve a humane solution more than any other animal? ludicrous. I'd love it if there were a humane solution. But we don't live in a fairy tale.

We live a miserable dog eat dog world, a completely misguided and stupid mentality world, to kill a living species is immoral, is ill advised, is backwards and it only compounds the problem.
All the abuse man has inflicted on Mother Nature through the years of industrialized activity has all ready shown on birth deformities in many levels of life from human to animals to fish. Man will pay huge one day for attempting to shape the plane to his liking.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I think maybe I mis-read your first post but my response is pretty much what I would have said anyway. We don't live in a fairytale but neither do we live in a war zone for pets. Some animals are pests and so are some humans. We don't shoot them (at least most of us don't).

wallybipster

May 5, 2009
Feral cats are not pets. And semi-feral, free range cats are barely pets, and just as much pests as any other wild animal. So I agree, pets should not be in a warzone. But the mere fact that a cat comes from human manipulated breeding does not make it a pet, especially if it is acting more like a pest.

If people really loved there cats, they'd keep them inside. Indoor cats live longer, are not eaten by other wild animals, do not wantonly kill wildlife, and do not run around the neighborhood causing problems.

You cannot have it both ways. It's a pet or a pest. It's sad that so many pet owners abandon their animals, and these people are the same ones who should be rounded up, neutered, and put in cages.

To deny that feral cats should be subject to the same measure of vermin control subjected to any other native animal is absolutely wrong. You are making a value statement that a cats life is worth more than wildlife (except hungry coyotes :p), and that is the hypocrisy that bothers me here.

By using the word pet in your example, I feel you are only perpetuating the pure emotional argument in this ussue.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Feral Cats = Shot

Pet Cats = should be on a leash like a dog (there not special) when they are out of the house or off the owners property... They shoudld be watched and managed like dogs...

A feral cat in the boreal forest is the same to me as a Round Goby in the Great Lakes. Its doesnt belong there, is occupying and competing for habitat and resources from other native species...

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
The United Nations, along with many scientists and conservationists, maintains that the introduction of non-native species is second greatest threat to world-wide biodiversity after habitat loss.

Put your foot down and keep your pets inside and under your control

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
We live a miserable dog eat dog world, a completely misguided and stupid mentality world, to kill a living species is immoral, is ill advised, is backwards and it only compounds the problem.
All the abuse man has inflicted on Mother Nature through the years of industrialized activity has all ready shown on birth deformities in many levels of life from human to animals to fish. Man will pay huge one day for attempting to shape the plane to his liking.

I agree with you, 'kill', 'kill', it comes out so easy, and humans don't have to do
that, we should be above that. It's fine for animals who have to kill to survive,
we don't.
Let's think on a higher plain, and control the cat problem in a more humane
way, which seems to be the plan at the moment. The spca put down thousands
of animals each year, cats and dogs, and I'm sure other animals as well, but
only after not enough people have responded to their attempt to sell the
animals, and that is also the result of 'irresponsible' people, it is always people,
the so called high intelligent species, who think 'kill' 'kill', or want to keep
pets, but don't have the will or intelligence or thoughtfullness to care for
them properly.
Neutered and spayed cats do not reproduce, and when you buy an animal from
the spca, price includes neuteuring and spaying, so 'do it'.
Cats kill birds, birds kill worms, and eat bugs, and on it goes, that instinct
cannot be bred out of cats, so be it, I haven't noticed any decline in
the bird population around my area, and my cat has brought many birds home.
My labrador was walking around the yard one day with 'something' in his mouth,
so we told him to 'drop it', and he gently put down a little bird, and it stumbled
around a little, then took off. He wouldn't hurt a fly.
The spca should be informed when people keep too many cats, and don't have
them fixed, and the law should be enforced, to have them removed, if they
won't have them fixed.
And, if ferral cats have grown to a number that is out of control, they have
to be caught, and spayed or neutered, it is the reproduction that is the
problem.
My cat goes outdoors all the time, and I also have dirt/sandy areas in different parts
of my yard that she does her business in, so she doesn't bother other peoples
gardens, works fine. I will not confine the cat to the indoors, I think that is
cruel, no different than keeping something in a cage, she loves the outdoors
just like we do.
Lots of people just 'hate' cats, just ignore them, they probably hate many other
things too.

Last edited:

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Feral Cats not under the control of a human owner = Invasive species in Canada

Do we get mad at the fisherman who kills a round goby?? No we thank him for doing his part in maintaining our native fish stocks....

Is it any different then killing a stray cat not native to this country?? No

Why arent we attacking fishermen who kills gobies, ruffe, sea lampreys etc etc????

Are we basing our opinions because some of us have developed a emotional attachment to our pets?

I know of people who have shot stray dogs...

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Hinterland Who's Who - Invasive Alien Species in Canada

You are already well acquainted with some alien, or non-native, species. For example, lawns and gardens are made up mostly of alien species, including Kentucky bluegrass, periwinkle, lily of the valley, and even the unwanted dandelion. The domestic cat is thought to have originated in Africa. And the pigeon and the European Starling, birds commonly seen in Canadian cities, both came from Europe. Even many of the foods you eat originated in other countries. Potatoes came originally from the South American Andes, corn from Mexico, and wheat from Africa and the Middle East.

wallybipster

May 5, 2009
Thank you for pointing out that cat people do not give a hoot about other animals. It's all well not to harm cats, and we can turn the other way while supporting them killing all the birds, voles, lizards, etc. that they want. Way to take responisbility.

There is a difference between the killing other animals do to survive, and the sport killing that goes on when your well-fed cat takes out a robin and brings it back.

Again, why do cats get so much special treatment? No one ever has an argument for this, other than "fluffy is sad when she stays inside." If you keep your cat inside all the time, it'll be plenty happy with it. It's like all the dog owners I know who think leash laws are too cruel, and would rather have every stranger deal with their big dog muzzling their crotch, than to teach their pet how to heal.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Still Having a Bad Day????

The average cost of rehabilitating a seal after the Exxon Valdez Oil spill in Alaska was $80,000.00. At a special ceremony, two of the most expensively saved animals were being released back into the wild amid cheers and applause from onlookers. A minute later, in full view, a killer whale ate them both.

(sorry - just came in my mail and I could not resist)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I agree with you, 'kill', 'kill', it comes out so easy, and humans don't have to do
that, we should be above that. It's fine for animals who have to kill to survive,
we don't.
Let's think on a higher plain, and control the cat problem in a more humane
way, which seems to be the plan at the moment. The spca put down thousands
of animals each year, cats and dogs, and I'm sure other animals as well, but
only after not enough people have responded to their attempt to sell the
animals, and that is also the result of 'irresponsible' people, it is always people,
the so called high intelligent species, who think 'kill' 'kill', or want to keep
pets, but don't have the will or intelligence or thoughtfullness to care for
them properly.
Neutered and spayed cats do not reproduce, and when you buy an animal from
the spca, price includes neuteuring and spaying, so 'do it'.
Cats kill birds, birds kill worms, and eat bugs, and on it goes, that instinct
cannot be bred out of cats, so be it, I haven't noticed any decline in
the bird population around my area, and my cat has brought many birds home.
My labrador was walking around the yard one day with 'something' in his mouth,
so we told him to 'drop it', and he gently put down a little bird, and it stumbled
around a little, then took off. He wouldn't hurt a fly.
The spca should be informed when people keep too many cats, and don't have
them fixed, and the law should be enforced, to have them removed, if they
won't have them fixed.
And, if ferral cats have grown to a number that is out of control, they have
to be caught, and spayed or neutered, it is the reproduction that is the
problem.
My cat goes outdoors all the time, and I also have dirt/sandy areas in different parts
of my yard that she does her business in, so she doesn't bother other peoples
gardens, works fine. I will not confine the cat to the indoors, I think that is
cruel, no different than keeping something in a cage, she loves the outdoors
just like we do.
Lots of people just 'hate' cats, just ignore them, they probably hate many other
things too.
I agree with all you have to say Talloola. The SPCA has more problems put on them then that though. People take their old dogs to the SPCA because they won't pay the price to have them put down. No one will buy an old dog/cat because of two reasons. They are going to learn to love this pet that they know from the start, is not going to live very long and may cost them a lot of money due to it's age. So after awhile, the SPCA must put the animal down. All these things cost money so it means that they must charge higher fees to sell the animal to you in the first place and they try to barter with some of the local vets for a good price for neutering.

Ferral cats can be really dangerous. They will attack even a person trying to feed them and they are un-clean cats and when they bite, they can cause a lot of infection. It can really be quite horrible.
Most domestic cats are harmless. I do not confine my cat and I really don't care if people don't like it. She is 16 yrs. old, she never goes far, usually never leaves the yard anymore. She has killed birds and mice but she's well fed even though she is a skinny cat, so as much as she goes through the slunk down big sneak, she seems to miss now. I guess she's just not as stealth as she once was. She too loves to be outside. She goes out on the deck and just sits there. She's not hurting anyone.

The local wild rabbit population that lives wild behind my house and everyone else's in this neighbourhood, come in and eat the fresh new blades of grass. Cat walks around with them, doesn't bother them and they don't seem to care much about her either. If the dog is outside he chases them and they always get away. We love to see them so we leave them to eat our grass. Not everyone is nearly as cruel as some of you would have people believe.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
From my experience of living for ten years in the forest, I would have to say that domestic pets are far more destructive than any wild predators. Don't forget that you cuddly little pets are predators and that when they are well fed, will kill just for the fun of it. Wild animals rarely do that. I have seen a single domestic cat wipe out all the song birds in a square mile, and not eat a single one.

Personally, I think that keeping pets is cruelty to them. That is why many of them end up costing their owners a fortune in vet bills. Most of the food you give them is actually harmful to them. And keeping them restricted because of municipal by-laws is not healthy at all. Many become depressed and start attacking other animals and children out of frustration. That wagging tail and jumping up and down when you come home is because the poor little buggers are bored to tears all day. We keep pets for our own pleasure and rarely give their pleasure much thought.

And! The next time your out for Chinese, enjoy you sweet and sour cat parts. Mmmm! Tastes lika chicken.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
From my experience of living for ten years in the forest, I would have to say that domestic pets are far more destructive than any wild predators. Don't forget that you cuddly little pets are predators and that when they are well fed, will kill just for the fun of it. Wild animals rarely do that. I have seen a single domestic cat wipe out all the song birds in a square mile, and not eat a single one.

Personally, I think that keeping pets is cruelty to them. That is why many of them end up costing their owners a fortune in vet bills. Most of the food you give them is actually harmful to them. And keeping them restricted because of municipal by-laws is not healthy at all. Many become depressed and start attacking other animals and children out of frustration. That wagging tail and jumping up and down when you come home is because the poor little buggers are bored to tears all day. We keep pets for our own pleasure and rarely give their pleasure much thought.

And! The next time your out for Chinese, enjoy you sweet and sour cat parts. Mmmm! Tastes lika chicken.

Cats go after things that move in a certain way, just watch them when you
play with them, they love to pounce on your hand, under a blanket for eg.
They catch mice because of the movement, but rarely eat them, just play
with them till they become bored, cause the thing is dead. Our cat does
eat the birds she catches.
I totally disagree with you about the 'keeping' a pet thing. We have a cat and
dog, (have always had a cat and a dog), and the love coming from both sides
is very apparant, and they love nothing more than to be where we are all the
time, they are happy, are not alone for long periods at all, and the companionship if good for all of us.
I would agree with you, concerning people who get dogs and cats, then ban
them to the outdoors, or tie them up, that is very cruel and inhumane, they
get very bored and very lonely, and I never can figure out why those particular
people even have animals. Maybe just a watchdog I guess.