Ezra Levant Makes Sense

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I think most Ontario government activities are cloaked in secrecy and misinformation....

Do you live in Ontario?How can we change this?

I remember doing research on Ontario's second-language teaching policy. I searched the Ministry of Education website and did find some stuff. I'd found core French, Extended French and Immersion French. It explained reasons for its policy making French compulsory, but backed none of them up with research references. I'd read about these reasons before and so know that they are true. But sinse we're talking about a ministry of a democratic province, it should be included so that other Ontarians can confirm these findings too.

It included no research showing how effective these policies had been in the past, or hypothetical models showing why they believe it could be effective. Honestly, you'd think the policy was drawn up on the back of a naptkin over a pint of draught at a pub on New Years Eve to the tune of Auld Lang Syne.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It's been my experience with Ontario bureaucracies they have no communication or co-operation among themselves either. That results in conflicting rules, mediocre service and a lot of wasted effort. Maybe it's the fear of that axe from the top that keeps them simply agreeing with the Office of the Premier (whomever that may be)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't take an extremist seriously.
That explains why no one takes you seriously, including yourself.
Levant is an extremist, he does not belong to centre right.
He's an extremist? I'ld love to see you back that up. You may even change my opinion of him.

Ummmm....no..... maybe go back and see what I was commenting on....it was a link that goober supplied. It was not about the racist levant.
Racist? Because he dares publish the truth, he calls'em like he sees'em? I guess I'm a racist too Gh.

I belong to a fringe too. Most independent thinkers will, precisely because they don't fear ridicule.
You aren't fringe, not from what I've read. I haven't agreed with everything you've posted, I wouldn't even remotely consider you fringe.

There are many examples here of fringe if you need something to guage yourself by, lol.

It's been my experience with Ontario bureaucracies they have no communication or co-operation among themselves either. That results in conflicting rules, mediocre service and a lot of wasted effort. Maybe it's the fear of that axe from the top that keeps them simply agreeing with the Office of the Premier (whomever that may be)
I agree. On all accounts.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
racist too....yes Bear....sometimes you are.
Really?

Is that when I'm calling out the "white man" for stomping on my peeps?

Or is it when I'm stomping Muslims, Catholics or crazy Christians? Cuz that's not racism...;-)

I didn't think I was racist...you gotta fill me in here...8O

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I belong to a fringe too. Most independent thinkers will, precisely because they don't fear ridicule.

If you consider yourself to be on the fringe, I can see how you would sympathize with Levant, who is very much on the fringe.

I consider myself to be in the mainstream of Canada, and as such I don’t take a fringe person like Levant seriously.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I do agree with them doing following the rules of course and as such I don't blame the bureaucrats, except for high-level bueaucrats who are expected to provide research to the government that could help it in the policy-writing. But for all we know, maybe they did do their job and the government itself just hasn't followed through. But in the end, the buck stops with the elected officials. They just don't know how to elucidate a proper policy document. At the very least, it should include:

1. The principles behind the policy.

2. The policy itself.

3. The intended objectively measurable social objectives of the policy.

4. Reference to any previous studies indicating the effectiveness of the policy or, if the policy has never been implemented anywhere before, then at least a rational explanation as to why it should theoreticlaly work, with a planned review of the theory after the policy has had a chance to prove itself.

In the policy statements I'd seen, 3. is not highly elaborated and 4. is non-existent, as least as far as second-language teaching policy goes.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If you consider yourself to be on the fringe, I can see how you would sympathize with Levant, who is very much on the fringe.

I consider myself to be in the mainstream of Canada, and as such I don’t take a fringe person like Levant seriously.

I know little about Levant. For all I know, he could be a Nazi. It's not him that I'm necessarily defending, but the idea that his ideas must be ignored because of who he is.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Really?

Is that when I'm calling out the "white man" for stomping on my peeps?

Or is it when I'm stomping Muslims, Catholics or crazy Christians? Cuz that's not racism...;-)

I didn't think I was racist...you gotta fill me in here...8O

Actually...it's when you are "stomping" muslims..... if we are going to call it racism against Jews, then we can fit Muslims into the same slot. You have made it very clear your stance on Muslims and in many cases you do not differentiate between the fringe and the mainstream. You are against Muslim immigration just on the basis of them being Muslim.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
That is something that irritates me. I personally believe in the Qur'an myself, have read id cover to cover may times with pen in hand and paper on the side, and can say that there is much ignorance and many misunderstandings about that book in the West.

I don't profess Islam for a few reasons, one being that I believe that many of the social teachings of the religio are outdated, though I feel the same about the Gospel. But the spiritual teachings of Islam are identical to those of the Christian Faith. And yes, there is much bigotry against Islam in Canada today. Personally, I think world religions could be a worthwhile school subject to help pupils better understand the world's different religions and see the similarities between the religions. The spiritual teachings of all the world's great religions is the same, brotherhood and justice among the peoples of the world.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So all ideas from Ezra are to be ignored?

Yup. And Hitler was a teetotaller and a non-smoker. So I'd advise you drink and smoke to your heart's content. We wouldn't want to associate your ideas and behaviour to Hitler's now, would we?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
So all ideas from Ezra are to be ignored?

Certainly, Goober. When an extremist puts forth an idea, we don’t know if the idea is any good, whether he is speaking as an extremist. Anything that an extremist says, I would need it to be confirmed by an independent source, a reputable source. Then why not just read that source, and cut out the middle man, the extremist?

Thus, if a known Nazi puts forth an idea (admittedly, an extreme example, I am not saying that Levant is a Nazi), would you consider it seriously? I wouldn’t.

This applies to extremists of both the left and the right.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Yup. And Hitler was a teetotaller and a non-smoker. So I'd advise you drink and smoke to your heart's content. We wouldn't want to associate your ideas and behaviour to Hitler's now, would we?

That is a good example, Machjo. I will never read Hitler’s books, see that he was a teetotaler and a non smoker, and from that decide to be a teetotaler and a nonsmoker. I wouldn’t take Hitler’s word for it that these things are undesirable.

If nutritionists tell us that it is beneficial to be a teetotaler and a non smoker, I will listen to them. And nutritionists don’t tell us that. The generally accepted wisdom is that one drink a day may actually be good for the heart. I am not a teetotaler, but I am a nonsmoker.

In becoming a non smoker, I was not influenced by Hitler. Hitler being a non smoker means nothing to me, he was an extremist. But scientists, biologists tell us that smoking is bad for you, so I am a non smoker.

So Hitler being a non smoker means nothing to me. I need it to be verified by an independent source, the scientists that smoking is bad for you. But then, why not listen to the independent source, the scientists, and cut out the extremists, Hitler?

The example given by you really reinforces my point.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Certainly, Goober. When an extremist puts forth an idea, we don’t know if the idea is any good, whether he is speaking as an extremist. Anything that an extremist says, I would need it to be confirmed by an independent source, a reputable source. Then why not just read that source, and cut out the middle man, the extremist?

Thus, if a known Nazi puts forth an idea (admittedly, an extreme example, I am not saying that Levant is a Nazi), would you consider it seriously? I wouldn’t.

This applies to extremists of both the left and the right.

So when Ezra and the CCLA are on the same side of the idea what is your opinion? And please drop the Nazi crap – bit tiresome – and Ezra is a Jew by the way.
http://ccla.org/

Reactions: Ron in Regina