Ezra Levant Makes Sense

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Certainly, Goober. When an extremist puts forth an idea, we don’t know if the idea is any good, whether he is speaking as an extremist. Anything that an extremist says, I would need it to be confirmed by an independent source, a reputable source. Then why not just read that source, and cut out the middle man, the extremist?

Thus, if a known Nazi puts forth an idea (admittedly, an extreme example, I am not saying that Levant is a Nazi), would you consider it seriously? I wouldn’t.

This applies to extremists of both the left and the right.

But how do you define extremist. So far the impression I got is that you define it according to popularity. If it's not a widely held belief, it's extremist. If it's widely held, it's centrist. That what we refer to as a democratic conception of knowledge which assumes that the majority is necessaily correct and that the minority is necessarily wrong. Democracy certainly has its merits, but not when it comes to determining the turth of a matter. Scientists especially know that well. They reqire logic, proof, and couldn't care less what others believe.Knowledge isnot democratically determined.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Actually...it's when you are "stomping" muslims..... if we are going to call it racism against Jews, then we can fit Muslims into the same slot. You have made it very clear your stance on Muslims and in many cases you do not differentiate between the fringe and the mainstream. You are against Muslim immigration just on the basis of them being Muslim.
You haven't seen the moderate Muslims do the things I have Gh.

That is something that irritates me. I personally believe in the Qur'an myself, have read id cover to cover may times with pen in hand and paper on the side, and can say that there is much ignorance and many misunderstandings about that book in the West.
Then you haven't actually read the Quran Machjo. I have and it is no a religion of peace. But then you go on below, to lightly touch on the problems with the religion. If you were being honest here, you would note that the religion, beit directly quoted from the Quran or manipulated by an Imam, is not peaceful.

I don't profess Islam for a few reasons, one being that I believe that many of the social teachings of the religio are outdated, though I feel the same about the Gospel. But the spiritual teachings of Islam are identical to those of the Christian Faith. And yes, there is much bigotry against Islam in Canada today. Personally, I think world religions could be a worthwhile school subject to help pupils better understand the world's different religions and see the similarities between the religions. The spiritual teachings of all the world's great religions is the same, brotherhood and justice among the peoples of the world.

Certainly, Goober. When an extremist puts forth an idea, we don’t know if the idea is any good, whether he is speaking as an extremist. Anything that an extremist says, I would need it to be confirmed by an independent source, a reputable source. Then why not just read that source, and cut out the middle man, the extremist?
How would you know, you refuse to read 'extremists' works?

Thus, if a known Nazi puts forth an idea (admittedly, an extreme example, I am not saying that Levant is a Nazi), would you consider it seriously?
Yes I would, then I would go about taking it apart and/or supporting it. Depends on what they had to say. Sometimes the wrong people have the right ideas.

I wouldn’t.
We know, you're the wrong person with the wrong idea.

This applies to extremists of both the left and the right.
Then by your logic, no one should read your posts. ;-)

That is a good example, Machjo. I will never read Hitler’s books, see that he was a teetotaler and a non smoker, and from that decide to be a teetotaler and a nonsmoker. I wouldn’t take Hitler’s word for it that these things are undesirable.
As you shouldn't, but to negate it because it comes from somewhere you don't like, is idiotic.

If nutritionists tell us that it is beneficial to be a teetotaler and a non smoker, I will listen to them. And nutritionists don’t tell us that. The generally accepted wisdom is that one drink a day may actually be good for the heart. I am not a teetotaler, but I am a nonsmoker.
What if that nutritionist was a Nazi?

The example given by you really reinforces my point.
And your responce reenforces ours...;-)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Gerry H
You then agree as I earlier stated fundraising for a legal defense – just as the article states – I was correct would you say?

The Canadian Constitution Foundation is a non-profit organization that protects Canadians' constitutional freedoms through education and public interest litigation. The Foundation has agreed to help Fulton raise funds for his defence, expected to cost as much as $100,000. Members of the public can donate on-line directly to the Fulton legal defence fund on the CCF website

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
That is a good example, Machjo. I will never read Hitler’s books, see that he was a teetotaler and a non smoker, and from that decide to be a teetotaler and a nonsmoker. I wouldn’t take Hitler’s word for it that these things are undesirable.

If nutritionists tell us that it is beneficial to be a teetotaler and a non smoker, I will listen to them. And nutritionists don’t tell us that. The generally accepted wisdom is that one drink a day may actually be good for the heart. I am not a teetotaler, but I am a nonsmoker.

In becoming a non smoker, I was not influenced by Hitler. Hitler being a non smoker means nothing to me, he was an extremist. But scientists, biologists tell us that smoking is bad for you, so I am a non smoker.

So Hitler being a non smoker means nothing to me. I need it to be verified by an independent source, the scientists that smoking is bad for you. But then, why not listen to the independent source, the scientists, and cut out the extremists, Hitler?

The example given by you really reinforces my point.

OK, so I used a bad example there. Then let's try something else here. If you were a British officer in WWII, don't you think reading Mein Kampf might be a good move to better understand the mindset of the Nazis, to see if you could somehow use that mindset against them?

Or what about the Blitzkrieg. Though the Nazis did not invent it, Hitler was the first politician to adopt it. Both the French and the Russians rejected such proposals from their military command. Turns out Hitler the extremist was right, while the moderate French and the Stalinist extremist Russia was wrong. So one extremist was right about this strategy, not one moderate was. In the end, the allies, after having observed the effectiveness of the Blitzkrieg strategy, adopted it themselves, and it continues to be a part of Nato military strategy today. The Warsaw Pact had adopted it too. My God, they were all copying Hitler's lead. Yet how did they know it could work. They observed the Nazi war machine and saw that they were wrong and that the extremist was right. So are you suggesting that he was not worth studying because he was a Nazi, and extremist? That it would have been preferable to just let the Nazis win because we wouldn't want to admit to having learnt something form an extremist?

The Prophet Muhammad too by the way had learnt of the advantages of defensive trenches from his enemies.

So when an extremist comes up with a new idea that works, we should not learn from it?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
OK, so I used a bad example there. Then let's try something else here. If you were a British officer in WWII, don't you think reading Mein Kampf might be a good move to better understand the mindset of the Nazis, to see if you could somehow use that mindset against them?
Machjo, it's hard to believe that I don't see eye to eye with at all times...and by the way, this is the reason you are not a fringe candidate, you understand the nature of objectivity. Of which you are trying to argue, with someone who has none.

So when an extremist comes up with a new idea that works, we should not learn from it?
Or at the very least read, listen to or watch, to gain a broader perspective.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
To Care Bear. I assume you're referring to the Qur'anic teaching of Holy War. Remember though that such wars were not to be started by the Muslims, but were intended to defend Muslims against oppression. If you look at the history of Islam, the Muslims were persecuted from the get go. So it's natural that the Qur'an would have made reference to this. The Qur'an also says that if they surrender, to stop fighting. If we compare this to Jesus, let's rememebr that as persecuted as he was, there was still a Roman government maintianing some form of law and order. Islam was born in the midst of anarchy and tribal warfare. We do have to be fair in reading a book within its context, and considering its nuances, such as to stop fighting if the enemy does, and to always try to build peaceful relations whenever others are willing to do so. The Quran guarantees freedom of religion too,if you've read it.

Let's not judge Islam by what it's followers have become.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
But Bear, unless your ideas are supported by a majority of the population, they must be wrong. Certainly knowledge is democratic, isn't it?

When did any great man ever challenge the established order. Of course none did. They all folowed in lock step with the majority like sheep. That's what made them so great.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
To Care Bear. I assume you're referring to the Qur'anic teaching of Holy War. Remember though that such wars were not to be started by the Muslims, but were intended to defend Muslims against oppression. If you look at the history of Islam, the Muslims were persecuted from the get go. So it's natural that the Qur'an would have made reference to this. The Qur'an also says that if they surrender, to stop fighting. If we compare this to Jesus, let's rememebr that as persecuted as he was, there was still a Roman government maintianing some form of law and order. Islam was born in the midst of anarchy and tribal warfare. We do have to be fair in reading a book within its context, and considering its nuances, such as to stop fighting if the enemy does, and to always try to build peaceful relations whenever others are willing to do so. The Quran guarantees freedom of religion too,if you've read it.
I took nothing out of context. I actually read it hoping to get a better understanding of Islam. Having seen it at its absolute worst. That's that objectivity sjp lacks. I came away feeling even more phobic.

Let's not judge Islam by what it's followers have become.
That's truly easier said then done. But just so you know, I view all organised religions the same way. Islam takes a front seat on the bus at this time though. Seeing as the followers of Christ and Moses aren't strapping suicide vests to mentally challenged children. But this is a topic for another thread.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
But Bear, unless your ideas are supported by a majority of the population, they must be wrong. Certainly knowledge is democratic, isn't it?

When did any great man ever challenge the established order. Of course none did. They all folowed in lock step with the majority like sheep. That's what made them so great.

Just a note, the above is intended as sarcastic of course.
That's how I took it.

Challenge is good Machjo, is forces change when it is needed. Gay rights, the rights of women, civil liberties, and so on.

All these changes were monumental and all the persons at the forefront were deemed fringe or subversives by the establishment in their time. But these people were screaming for the heads of some other group, in place of theirs. They wanted to be equal and held accountable equally.

That is the major difference between the radical fringe and a radical movement.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Or what about the Blitzkrieg. Though the Nazis did not invent it, Hitler was the first politician to adopt it. Both the French and the Russians rejected such proposals from their military command. Turns out Hitler the extremist was right, while the moderate French and the Stalinist extremist Russia was wrong. So one extremist was right about this strategy, not one moderate was. In the end, the allies, after having observed the effectiveness of the Blitzkrieg strategy, adopted it themselves, and it continues to be a part of Nato military strategy today. The Warsaw Pact had adopted it too. My God, they were all copying Hitler's lead. Yet how did they know it could work. They observed the Nazi war machine and saw that they were wrong and that the extremist was right. So are you suggesting that he was not worth studying because he was a Nazi, and extremist? That it would have been preferable to just let the Nazis win because we wouldn't want to admit to having learnt something form an extremist?

The Prophet Muhammad too by the way had learnt of the advantages of defensive trenches from his enemies.

Machjo
NATO tactics are right out of the USSR manual – except we do it better – Independent thinking -

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Be careful with the word radical, Bear. I view it as a positive label. Radical, from Latin radicalis, of or having roots, from Latin radix, root, meaning going to the origin or essential. in its political sense, it was first used in the sense of change from the roots, which shows us how it might have evolved to have eventually suggested the negative connotation of uprooting.

I prefer its sense of having roots, which I can also take to mean going to the roots, or dealing with the root of a problem or an issue, as opposed to dealing with just the superficial aspect of a problem as the mainstream do. We could even reverse the connotations thus:

radical: dealing with the root of a problem.

mainstream: flowing leisurely along the main stream of ideas.

Looking at it that way, there's no contradiction in the label moderate radical, which I could refer to myself as.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Machjo
NATO tactics are right out of the USSR manual – except we do it better – Independent thinking -

But goober, the Soviets were extremists. Certainly there was nothing worthy of learning from such a manual, Who decided to waste his time and read that manual;-)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
But goober, the Soviets were extremists. Certainly there was nothing worthy of learning from such a manual, Who decided to waste his time and read that manual;-)

Machjo – Only an idiot refuses to study the enemy – a good idea is a good idea regardless of where it originated – Yes?