Wheat board monopoly to end

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
How does signing a seed package contract in spring effect who I sell to in fall? Can I really go open market on a seed package contract or am I locked in to dealing with the company I bought my seed ferts and herbicides from? Can I buy my package from Viterra and sell to P&H or some mill in TX?

Petros, I was listening to a fellow (sorry I didn't write his name down) being interviewed on Connect the other day and he was saying that many farmers now do their own marketing and are very savvy about getting the best price for their crops. As I understand it, growers who wish too will still be able to go to the CWB but anyone who chooses to do their own marketing will also be able to do so. He also talked about the growth of cooperatives on the prairies and how farmers will now be able to sell their products to cooperatives without interference from the CWB. Is that not a good thing for everyone? Just asking.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Petros, I was listening to a fellow (sorry I didn't write his name down) being interviewed on Connect the other day and he was saying that many farmers now do their own marketing and are very savvy about getting the best price for their crops. As I understand it, growers who wish too will still be able to go to the CWB but anyone who chooses to do their own marketing will also be able to do so. He also talked about the growth of cooperatives on the prairies and how farmers will now be able to sell their products to cooperatives without interference from the CWB. Is that not a good thing for everyone? Just asking.
He was talking about pulse crops and marketing. Pulse is an entirely different game.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A subject like this tends to get very polarized depending on a person's philosophy about supporting an extra layer of bureaucracy, some people can obviously afford to, I can't, but even worse I can't abide parasites (not for a minute saying that is the case here) :smile:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
That is a choice that you potentially make.... The base-line fact still remains, you NOW have a choice in terms of who you sell your wheat to.

Muddy the issue all you like, that basic fact still remains.

That's all it is. No sense getting all excited about nothing. You wanna sell to the known monopoly like the old days, go ahead.

The new evil one, have at it then. I don't care which one you use. And, it's none of my business.

It's free choice. Choice is good. Freedom all the better.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
That's all it is. No sense getting all excited about nothing. You wanna sell to the known monopoly like the old days, go ahead.

The new evil one, have at it then. I don't care which one you use. And, it's none of my business.

It's free choice. Choice is good. Freedom all the better.

I completely agree. No one has a gun to your head and if the CWB is your cup-'o-tea, well, it'll still be around as an option.

To be honest, I can't fathom, in any way shape or form, why having an alternative is a bad thing or how it is the catalyst for such discord.

Oh well, to each their own.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's called the pool system just like oil uses.

Can you directly sell me a barrel of oil?

Why aren't little oil companies setting up micro refineries and selling their value added product directly to me at a discounted price?

Why do they have to use a pool system?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Where do I pick it up? Minneapolis or AB?

And just look at how that, artificially inflated, commodity is used to gouge the end user.
Exactly so why aren't small oil producers selling value added product directly to the buyer like you and me?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There you go, was it so hard to admit that the CWB, is an artificial market generator?

I don't know why you have to go through all the usual nonsense, only to admit you're wrong in the end.
So you'll pay the freight on that "value added fuel" from the west or is it easier (and probably far cheaper) to use a pool system and get your product at the local pumps?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So you'll pay the freight on that "value added fuel" from the west or is it easier (and probably far cheaper) to use a pool system and get your product at the local pumps?
That question has what to do with the fact you just conceded?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Everything. As the end user what is best for you? Having to have your oil delivered by pool system or having to have it shipped clear across the country all by it's lonesome? If all these little oil companies did small deliveries what are the odds of a bottleneck?