Wheat board monopoly to end

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So I guess now those German. French, Chinese conglomerates that have been setting up grain producton in Canada can now side step the CWB without paying a commission?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Who is buying? How do I get it to them? How long will it takle for me to get paid?

Welcome to the world of grown-up's... If those are your biggest concerns, think about going on welfare as you'll know exactly when you'll get paid.

Why wouldn't Harper sell THESE to us? We made one **** of a goofd offer. Did Cargill or Loiuis Drefyus offer more? Less? Who gets the insider deal of a lifetime? The producers?

Your acting like a baby.... Apparently, your offer wasn't that good. On that note, perhaps Cargill or LD offered to buy all of the fleet and expected a discount for such.

There are rail cars for sale and the initial capital cost will be written down over time. It won't take that long to even things out.

Ahh, so you're a wake and bake kind of fellow...smoke some more.

Great answer.... Clearly you have no argument as it only took you the second post to throw out a personal attack.

Have you ever sold a kernel of grain in your life? Would you know where to start?

Are the laws of supply and demand for wheat vastly different than everything else?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So I guess now those German. French, Chinese conglomerates that have been setting up grain producton in Canada can now side step the CWB without paying a commission?
That has what to do with your grain hopper conspiracy theory?

I actually read an article in 2002, as it related to my profession, as to why the Feds wouldn't sell enmass.

It was a simple matter really. Maybe you should do a little research before you go sniffing around for conspiracies.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

So, this entire issue is about the payment of commissions? Think about not charging a formal commission at all and factor that cost into the price... You can apply that difference to the higher cost of rail cars.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
All I have heard for years is how the Wheat Board monoply is screwing farmers. Now apparently getting rid of it is screwing farmers.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Welcome to the world of grown-up's... If those are your biggest concerns, think about going on welfare as you'll know exactly when you'll get paid.

Your acting like a baby.... Apparently, your offer wasn't that good. On that note, perhaps Cargill or LD offered to buy all of the fleet and expected a discount for such.

There are rail cars for sale and the initial capital cost will be written down over time. It won't take that long to even things out.

Great answer.... Clearly you have no argument as it only took you the second post to throw out a personal attack.

Are the laws of supply and demand for wheat vastly different than everything else?
Tell how long you've been selling your grain on the open market, how you delivered your product and who you sold it to. I want to hear all about your grown up system. Tell me how it's done so I too can do it just like you have. Was it a good experience?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

When you suggest that Viterra will be no more happy with access to a market 9 times larger than Ontario and Quebec combined, that's a laughable assertion. So, like I said, smoke some more of whatever it is you're smoking...

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Tell how long you've been selling your grain on the open market, how you delivered your product and who you sold it to. I want to hear all about your grown up system. Tell me how it's done so I too can do it just like you have. Was it a good experience?

This issue is exclusively about "who" it gets sold to. The same infrastructure can/will be used for the delivery to market... This business model is no different (in principle) to any other business that requires that the product be delivered to a location.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This issue is exclusively about "who" it gets sold to. The same infrastructure can/will be used for the delivery to market... This business model is no different (in principle) to any other business that requires that the product be delivered to a location.
Delivered to what location and how over what infrastructure?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
All I have heard for years is how the Wheat Board monoply is screwing farmers. Now apparently getting rid of it is screwing farmers.

Depends who you ask. The wheat board (actually a monopsony, not a monopoly) was set-up post-depression at a time when only a few firms controlled the buying and distribution. It was supposed to benefit farmers, which it has. Australia had a wheat board too, only theirs was rocked by scandals, like oil for food and kick backs to Saddam Hussein. Their wheat board was privatized, and then a Canadian firm bought the whole shebang.

There's very little reason to think that the same won't happen to Canadian farmers. Agri-business has been highly consolidated, the switch will be away from the highest price the single desk can get, to individuals competing for the lowest common denominator. That will favour more consolidation from large agri-business firms.

The legislation requires a plebiscite, but the government has shirked that responsibility. This will go to court. The last survey found 51% of barley farmers who voted wanted to keep the single desk, and 60% of wheat farmers voted likewise.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
So Wheat Farmers weren't restricted to where they sell their grain or for how much? Because I'm sure I heard this complaint before.

The wheat farmers had access to only 1 buyer - the CWB - and they had to accept the price the Board sets... As an example, you (as a wheat farmer) could NOT mill your own wheat and bake bread or make pasta for sale to the public... To do so, you'd have to sell your wheat to the CWB and then place an order to buy it back in order to produce those consumer goods... You'd lose money (and a lot of time) in the transaction.

It didn't matter that you 'owned' the wheat, nor did it matter that you might be able to sell it to your neighbour, a local business or overseas for more money.. The CWB was the only game in town.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
When you suggest that Viterra will be no more happy with access to a market 9 times larger than Ontario and Quebec combined, that's a laughable assertion. So, like I said, smoke some more of whatever it is you're smoking...

Grow up already

You are a wake n baker aren't you?

Nope... I'm just not a whiner.

Like I said earlier, you can still sell to the CWB all you like.

Better now?