Wheat board monopoly to end

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
All I have heard for years is how the Wheat Board monoply is screwing farmers. Now apparently getting rid of it is screwing farmers.

Half of us will usually piss and moan about one thing or another.

Monopolies (cartels) are not a good thing.

At any rate, it was part of Harpos' election platform. He said was gonna do it (like the long gun registry etc) and now he is doing what he said he would do.

Shocking. :lol:

Get over it kids.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

At any rate, it was part of Harpos' election platform. He said was gonna do it (like the long gun registry etc) and now he is doing what he said he would do.

Shocking. :lol:

Get over it kids.
Are you a producer?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

The wheat board is not a monopoly...they don't produce. They're a monopsony, and their interests compete against the oligarchy (not a good thing) of large companies that will now nickle and dime the farmers to the brink. Wait and see.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The shareholders of the food producers are the winners because the food companies will offer a lower price to the farmer for their product and charge a lot more to the consumer.

The small family farm is at risk here of going belly up, but there will be more opportunity for big farms to be bigger by buying up more land for their operations and for more company farms start-ups to happen.

The only solution I can see for the family farm in a free market environment is to start up co-ops or pool their resources and start to open more food manufacturing facilities so they can compete for the consumer business.

According to US Farm Report an agricultural show in America http://www.agweb.com/USFR the family farm is evolving to this by converting their raw resources to finished products and with the push to buy local and the popularity of the 100 Mile Diet there is a demand for this.

We also have to remember that the green economy is after more agriculture resources for the making of their eco-fuels.

The CWB levelled the playing field for the farmers to get a stable price for their grains but with the free market system the farmers will have to deal with the volatility of the markets where deciding what the plant in the spring might be realized as a big mistake when harvest time arrives.

I have heard over the years that farm groups in America wished that they could have a CWB business model where they lived and Canada is getting rid of theirs.

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The CWB levelled the playing field for the farmers to get a stable price for their grains but with the free market system the farmers will have to deal with the volatility of the markets where deciding what the plant in the spring might be realized as a big mistake when harvest time arrives.

The CWB provided an artificial economy that generated (on average) a lower than market value for the Farmer (ie $$ in their pocket).

Fact is, many prairie farmers went away from wheat and into more profitable crops to maximize the revenues from the land base... That does not suggest that the CWB was the solitary factor in this, however, they certainly did play a role.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Lining their pocket? Tell me more about how the govt lined their pockets.

Fact is, many prairie farmers went away from wheat and into more profitable crops to maximize the revenues from the land base... That does not suggest that the CWB was the solitary factor in this, however, they certainly did play a role.
Really? Moved away from wheat because of the CWB? Explain in full. Crops are chosen by how they are marketed or by what the soil conditions will bear that year?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Lining their pocket? Tell me more about how the govt lined their pockets.

Really? Moved away from wheat because of the CWB? Explain in full. Crops are chosen by how they are marketed or by what the soil conditions will bear that year?

Learn to read:

That does not suggest that the CWB was the solitary factor in this, however, they certainly did play a role.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Explain the role of canola. Is it less risky? Handles drought better? Finishes in 50 days or less beating frost? Is ergot, stem rust and midge resistant?

What about the pulse market? Impacted wheat production or not?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The wheat board is not a monopoly...they don't produce. They're a monopsony, and their interests compete against the oligarchy (not a good thing) of large companies that will now nickle and dime the farmers to the brink. Wait and see.

Tell that to the newspapers and media that refer to them as such. I'm sure they'll alter their stories to satisfy the nitpick. :lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I see.... So having the CWB as the only game in town magically eliminates those costs?

Puhlease
How does signing a seed package contract in spring effect who I sell to in fall? Can I really go open market on a seed package contract or am I locked in to dealing with the company I bought my seed ferts and herbicides from? Can I buy my package from Viterra and sell to P&H or some mill in TX?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
That is a choice that you potentially make.... The base-line fact still remains, you NOW have a choice in terms of who you sell your wheat to.

Muddy the issue all you like, that basic fact still remains.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No I don't. If I went contract free, none of the players I didn't contract with won't be buying my grain. Where would I store my product until I sold it? Who would deliver? How would they deliver? Would my delivery costs be higher or lower?