What's up with all the strikes lately?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Mail lockout 'totally irresponsible': union chief

The head of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers is blasting Canada Post's "totally irresponsible" decision to shut down its urban operations across the country.

Denis Lemelin, the national CUPW president and chief negotiator, says the Crown corporation should be focused on getting mail out to Canadians and not on forcing postal workers off the job. Lemelin said the union had recently offered to send 48,000 urban employees back to work if Canada Post would resume the previous collective agreement while the two sides continued to work towards an agreement on a new contract.

But that offer was rejected and Canada Post announced late Tuesday that they would suspend urban mail services for the time being. "They want to cut the service to the population and that's really unacceptable," Lemelin told CTV's Canada AM on Wednesday morning.

CTV Ottawa- Mail lockout 'totally irresponsible': union chief - CTV News

The bottom line is most of the people being held to ransom, really don't give a sh*t! :lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Pfffffffffb. Me Italian?

Do you know why Italy is shaped like a boot?

You can't fit that much **** in a shoe.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
In some health care professions you can't get out being on call 24/7 or have staff shortages.

My wife averages 60hrs a week.

They don't want to hire more and they don't want to pay those whose workload is increasing right along with districts population.

Which is why my wife, like tenpenny's, got out. My wife essentially retired when our second was born. Overtime, especially in hospitals, could be forced on the workers when the next shift is short staffed. The only way out of it was, and still may be, child care obligations. I spent many a night waiting till 0200 to pick up my wife when her shift ended at 2300. (BTW, this was long before cell phones) Health care professionals cannot go on strike in most jurisdictions, I remember when they defied the law in both Alberta and Sask, and the union was hit with multimilliion dollar fines. The registration cost went from $35 to $350. If workers lose the right to self help they get screwed royally, they have no bargaining power left.

As far as I know you can't be forced to work O.T. so if the 11/2 times ain't worth I wouldn't work it. Of course I'm from the old school so perhaps $50 an hour (for O.T.) isn't as much as I think it is. :smile:

That depends on your contract and your industry. We used to be allowed to be "drafted" for overtime. We can still be held for two hours beyond our off duty time at home, and for a total of 14 hours regardless of our off duty time away from home. Depending on your tax bracket and shared payment deductions that $50 in OT, for me, works out to about $22 at the end of the day. We have a system where we can bank our OT, ( a hard fought contractual perk), the CCRA has found ways to tax almost everything, but they haven't found a way to tax time off, yet.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We raised a girl through all that plus with myself being away sometimes months at a time but mainly two weeks on two weeks off. I got tired of working for someone else and started out on my own working when I want to work, how I want to work and most importantly where I want to work.

Now we are recently empty nesters and financially set up very well. The city is growing too fast and we are going to semi-retire on the farm which is more than enough to keep us both busy 8 months of the year with stress and time apart eliminated.

If the deal they offer isn't worth it she is going to quit and leave them screwed.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Raising 2 kids on one income has been a challenge, but my erratic schedule and my wife's stress in the health care system were incompatible. We're nearly an empty nest, but helping with a downpayment for one in Calgary, and sending the other to university really helps empty the bank account. I tell folks I'm on the "Freedom 85" plan.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh I'm really looking forward to August for the "Dad I need $8000 for tuition, textbooks and lab fees" phone call.

Oh and parking pass. $8000 and they have the balls to make you pay for parking.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Problem is, it'll be $8000 every August, if and until she decides on graduate studies, that's when it really starts to hurt. Good thing bills come in the mail, important stuff I send by FedEx.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yeah $8K this August but the next will be $10K, then next $12K and so on and so on for another 4 more years after.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Word won't come in the mail.... Canada Post just locked posties out

It may not be for an overly long time. Apparently, the government is working on making a "back to work" edict for the striking Postal workers(the same as what they are planning on doing with the striking Air Canada workers).

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa acting with 'haste' over Air Canada strike

The Conservatives' back-to-work bill could be introduced as early as today.

Labour Minister Lisa Raitt announced Wednesday, just hours after workers hit the picket lines early Tuesday, that they would be forced back to work in order to protect the economic recovery and reduce disruptions to Canadians' travel plans.

On Thursday, New Democrat finance critic Peggy Nash said the government is acting too hastily. "If you believe in free collective bargaining and the ability of both sides to come to a solution, which the minister says she does, (then) she's acting with tremendous haste and really it seems like she's intervening on the side of the employer," Nash told CTV's Canada AM.

Ottawa acting with 'haste' over Air Canada strike: NDP - CTV News

Strike two: Ottawa steps in to end Canada Post labour dispute

The Harper government is proceeding with back-to-work legislation to end the Canada Post strike, the second major labour stoppage that it’s targeted this week using its Commons majority.

Economists predict more management-labour strife ahead for Canada, especially in the public sector, as companies and governments remain in austerity mode and seek to cut costs and lighten their pension obligations.

The Conservatives served 48 hours’ notice Wednesday that they would introduce a bill ending the labour disruption at Canada’s state mail carrier. It will take until next week to pass into law.

Strike two: Ottawa steps in to end Canada Post labour dispute - The Globe and Mail

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How about a "pay up you ****ing deadbeats" legislation where if a gov employer neglects a contract for over 6 months?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
How about a "pay up you ****ing deadbeats" legislation where if a gov employer neglects a contract for over 6 months?

Yea, I'm really shocked at how extreme this response was. It's pretty draconian.

This is inevitably going to cause a whole lot of depressed employees who refuse to do their job well. Also, don't be surprised to see something "crazy" happen in these industries over the next few years.

The conservatives are playing the unions off as some sort of affront to the public, but wait and see what kind of damage they can really do if they don't get any settlement at all. It's the fault of the corporation to take retirement money and keep it as a profit.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yea, I'm really shocked at how extreme this response was. It's pretty draconian.

This is inevitably going to cause a whole lot of depressed employees who refuse to do their job well. Also, don't be surprised to see something "crazy" happen in these industries over the next few years.
Yeah I can see the mail boxes and new logos on the trucks now. It'll be an eagle ass ****ing a beaver that is ass ****ing a chihuahua and a bunch of several different coloured people standing around looking bewildered with no ****ing mail in their hands.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Air Canada workers back on the job Friday

Labour Minister Lisa Raitt called the tentative settlement “excellent news.”

“The best deal you can have is the one they did themselves. We’re very, very pleased with how it unfolded,” Raitt said in Ottawa. She said the threat of back-to-work legislation was a “tool that was needed to focus the parties and narrow the issues.”

The CAW’s Bob Chernecki had blasted the swift government intervention, calling it “collusion” between Conservation politicians and the airline. Raitt had insisted that the threat of legislation was meant to turn up the pressure on the two sides to come to an agreement. Few details were available, pending ratification, but the four-year deal that includes wage increases and delays any changes to existing pension benefits until 2013.

However, on the most controversial issue of switching to a defined contribution plan, for new hires only, from a defined benefit plan, the parties agreed to send that to arbitration. “For future Air Canada employees, we regret that we were not able to put in the collective agreement a defined benefit pension,” CAW president Ken Lewenza told reporters at a news conference. “But for us to prolong the strike, it would absolutely make no sense at this time.”

Given that the CAW took such a strong position against moving to a defined contribution plan for new hires, it would have been near-impossible to back down. By agreeing to arbitration, the parties essentially delay a decision, but the CAW probably thought its chances were better than with a retired judge appointed by the government through back to work legislation.

Air Canada workers back on the job Friday - thestar.com
--

Anyone else have a bitter taste in their mouth knowing that the government is deliberately holding these peoples' future by the balls?

Last edited: