What's up with all the strikes lately?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
If you stop thinking everything is such a conspiracy and that all employers are out to get you, take some responsibility to find positive solutions to some of your concerns you just might enjoy your work and that big black cloud you're living under might just blow away.....

I think Petros is self employed, so if he thinks his boss is out to get him, he's probably right.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Heard on the radio today that Canada Post is thinking about cutting back to three days a week as there is so little mail to deal with right now. Seems that Canadians are managing quite well without their regular mail delivery.

Yep, if they get the idea they are an essential service they are definitely delusional. :lol:

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
So I would imagine if you love the Bull**** stories so much, you would be one of the 20% in the break room first starting up yet another rumour to spread.

If you stop thinking everything is such a conspiracy and that all employers are out to get you, take some responsibility to find positive solutions to some of your concerns you just might enjoy your work and that big black cloud you're living under might just blow away.....

Air Canada Customer Service and Sales Staff just walked off the job.............

Last week, I had lunch with a mediator that has worked on Canada Post arbitrations. When my partner commented on the strike, the mediator said that nothing will ever change with Canada Post unless they fire most mid level managers. The comment shocked me, because here is a guy whose job is to stay impartial. He is a very typical government by the book kind of personality, a perfect fit for his job, so it really stands out to me that the managers were able chip through his ' armour' so to speak.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Last week, I had lunch with a mediator that has worked on Canada Post arbitrations. When my partner commented on the strike, the mediator said that nothing will ever change with Canada Post unless they fire most mid level managers. The comment shocked me, because here is a guy whose job is to stay impartial. He is a very typical government by the book kind of personality, a perfect fit for his job, so it really stands out to me that the managers were able chip through his ' armour' so to speak.

He was both a mediator and an arbitrator?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'll ask, but its whichever one is the nonpartial guy that brings the two sides together when they aren't capable of doing it themselves.

Well you were right then - he should be a mediator. But he should therein be participating in mediations not arbitrations then.

You know what's funny though.. one union could be worth keeping.. another one could be tossed..

..but because we're still stuck in the left/right dichotomy, we'll never know because people are still stupid enough to condemn or praise all of them in allegiance to their party of choice. Meanwhile, the government runs away with our money by stoking that flame instead of doing their job and actually looking into the particulars of each union.

Now if that isn't a reason to give up this left/right charade, I don't know what is.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It ain't BS Petros, it's the strangely pungent smell of blue cheese that goes ever so well with whine.
Funny thing is. Union pensions own or are invested heavily in ****loads of companies that are non-union and those who are bitching are probably working for one of those union pension owned companies.

If you non union freaks would work harder then maybe your bosses (union workers) wouldn't have to strike to ensure their pensions and your jobs are secure.

You might even be renting a union owned apartment, condo, house, commercial space, retail space or holiday at a union owned hotel or resort.

Happy Trails!

Concert is an award-winning diversified real estate enterprise with assets in
excess of $1.5 billion and shareholder equity of approximately $800 million.
Exclusively owned by Canadian union and management pension plans, Concert is
involved in developing and acquiring rental housing, commercial and industrial
properties, condominium housing, seniors living communities, resort developments
and hotels and in British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario.

Since 1989, Concert has completed developments in excess of $2 billion, built
more than 10,500 rental and condominium homes, developed and acquired more than
9.6 million square feet of income-producing properties, and created more than
18.7 million person-hours of on-site union employment and has contributed in
excess of $81.1 million to affiliated union pension, health and welfare
plans
That is some heavy investment into Canada, Canadian jobs and of course the Canadian economy with it all being done without any taxpayer moolah and it's all 100% Canadian owned.

That is just one union pension management corp.

Just imagine how much Canadian union pension funds have invested into Canadian raw resources and future Canadian jobs as well.

Look it up sometime.

With a 1.5% vacancy rate in Regina and CPR moving from downtown to the Global Transportaion Hub, I imagine CAW/Teamster will be be developing the **** out of the open land in the downtown core.

Hooray for Union pensions and new development and jobs and econonic benefits that are Canadian owned and the money stays in Canada.

Here is one for JLM.

They've invested in your local economy and very successfully. Maybe Vernon will get lucky and they'll invest more? Creekside at Silver Star Mountain

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
I just don't see how a person could be pro-Quality Management System, yet be anti-union.

Imo, they both seek to replace arbitrary and discriminatory practises with policy and proceedure.

gee, have I wrote this before? Yes, but no one seems to want to touch it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ever heard of a Private/Public partnership? How do those entities fit into the scenario? Who are the "private" and what sort of gain is it for them to build things with the Gov?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The arbitrator is who you go to when the medations fail. The arbitrator is somewhat of a judge.

Right. And it's an important distinction because mediation must ensure that both parties accept the negotiated terms whereas an arbitration - as you mentioned - is based entirely upon the arbitrator's decision.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
When you do your own personal economics on what striking costs you personally and the additional income (or benifit) you would achieve from a strike, it's hard to understand why you would ever strike.

I mean, say if you were off work for, say 2 weeks. How much more money are you going to have to get to offset the money you lost in the last 2 weeks.
There is just no economics for a strike. I guess it only pays off if you consider it over a very long time,,, or does it ???

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When you do your own personal economics on what striking costs you personally and the additional income (or benifit) you would achieve from a strike, it's hard to understand why you would ever strike.

I mean, say if you were off work for, say 2 weeks. How much more money are you going to have to get to offset the money you lost in the last 2 weeks.
There is just no economics for a strike. I guess it only pays off if you consider it over a very long time,,, or does it ???

You got it figured right, Durry. :smile: