What would YOU want to hear at church?

adopted

Electoral Member
Sep 23, 2008
BC
looseassociations.wordpress.com
wow, thanks for all the answers.
i do find it unfortunate that Christ's gospel has been so twisted by so many people.
if we see the true Christ, we know that He is the answer to all of our problems (the biggest of which is the coming wrath of God).

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
wow, thanks for all the answers.
i do find it unfortunate that Christ's gospel has been so twisted by so many people.
if we see the true Christ, we know that He is the answer to all of our problems (the biggest of which is the coming wrath of God).
I thought he was supposed to be god. Basically what I hear you saying is, "lick god's boots or he will whack you on the head with a 2X4".

Why would you expect to learn any of that in a church?
If they knew, there wouldn't be any churches.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I would think a logical question would be, 'Is a person who is serially unfaithful to his spouse(s) worthy of elected office?'

Jesus said that if you even look at another woman with lust that you are an adulterer, because you've committed adultery in your heart. Unless you're an incredible individual, you've surely looked at another woman other than your wife with lust. You're guilty of adultery just like Newt.

adopted

Electoral Member
Sep 23, 2008
BC
He seems to demand a lot of praise and worship; what's that about then?

It's merely reasonable. But you'd need to understand the basics of the Holy God to realize that. People in our culture have no problem devoting their praise and worship to depraved cultural icons. What about the Creator?

Thought crime too, eh? Jesus was wrong, it just means you're human.

Yes, you're human with a disease called human nature... hence, the need for the Gospel.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It's merely reasonable. But you'd need to understand the basics of the Holy God to realize that. People in our culture have no problem devoting their praise and worship to depraved cultural icons. What about the Creator?

Yes, you're human with a disease called human nature... hence, the need for the Gospel.
Your god created you with human nature. We didn't develop it on our own, did we? Or is creation a fallacy and we evolved our human nature? If our human nature is a disease, who's fault is it, unless the one who created us?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I am a retired Catholic, I gave up on this stuff a long time ago, religion is not about
the human spirit it is about the politics of society for the orderly manipulation of things.
The church is the focal point, and if you do not subscribe, then you are not part of
Gods family and you will burn in hell. Well if there is a hell I will bet there are a lot of
those front pew people who are going to char with wall with their leftovers.
I would think that even God left the church a long time ago.
For those who talk about suffering in the world, well the free will thing is the first step
to put you and the Good Lord at a distance. Of course Adam and Even started all the
trouble sampling those apples. There are a thousand excuses in the Christian faith and
the others for that matter.
The issue of Christ being God and vice verse, you have to buy into the Blessed Trinity
concept, which of course is another mystery of God. Anything that cannot be explained
is a mystery of God. Translation, we don't have an answer yet but we are thinking
about it.
Actually I do not deny the existence of God, I just deny the fact that these churches have
anything to do with God. They are the propaganda ministry of politics to keep people
from looking inside ourselves. Originally the church was not an issue as the religion
taught that each person was a temple of God. The problem is there was no money in
that. If you can't get the people into the church you can't pass the collection plate.
I suppose if I was joining a church, I would ask which party God belonged to and does
He believe in democracy according to the teachings of the specific church.
I would like to know who I am really funding.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

What about all those poor souls that happen to worship in
some other religion that happens to not be the one you
follow? Are they all doomed for following (in your opinion)
false idols or God's or whatever?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Not that their is much charity in the catholic church.

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Charities

Together, with the local, diocesan-associated Catholic Charities, it is the second largest social service provider in the United States, surpassed only by the federal government.

That must be a typo. Obviously, Chinese restaurants must be first or second.

adopted

Electoral Member
Sep 23, 2008
BC
Your god created you with human nature. We didn't develop it on our own, did we? Or is creation a fallacy and we evolved our human nature?

He created us perfect. By our own choices, we brought a curse upon ourselves.

If you want freedom to make choices, then you've got to accept that there will be consequences for your choices.

It's a logical error for you to do something stupid and then blame God for the painful consequences.

The bigger question is, why did he create a plan for pulling us out of our own mess? He wasn't obliged to do that.

If he had just killed the evil-doers, you and me wouldn't exist. He's being merciful, can't you see that and embrace your hope there?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

Nature is not a disease, and when I have a disease I wiil need a doctor not some Bubba in the sky.

You can be as religious as you like but don't preach your sh*t to me. Some 2000 year old story is hardly believable as absolute truth when a story can't cross a factory floor without changing.

adopted

Electoral Member
Sep 23, 2008
BC
What about all those poor souls that happen to worship in
some other religion that happens to not be the one you
follow? Are they all doomed for following (in your opinion)
false idols or God's or whatever?

Your question contains an assumption -- you assume these people you're talking about are holy and righteous people who deserve to go to heaven? Aren't they all murderers, adulterers, and idolaters like the rest of us? God would be perfectly just to destroy all of us, right now. Don't you understand how true justice works?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
He created us perfect. By our own choices, we brought a curse upon ourselves.

If you want freedom to make choices, then you've got to accept that there will be consequences for your choices.

It's a logical error for you to do something stupid and then blame God for the painful consequences.

The bigger question is, why did he create a plan for pulling us out of our own mess? He wasn't obliged to do that.

If he had just killed the evil-doers, you and me wouldn't exist. He's being merciful, can't you see that and embrace your hope there?
Is your avatar a recent photo of you?

I have made no choices that warrant god's wrath. I refuse to accept that crap about original sin. The story is beyond childishly simplistic and naive. If god is omnipotent and all knowing then he knew what the outcome would be and he deserves our outrage and indignation. As I have said before, if I thought for a second that the god of the bible was real, I would have to hunt him down and kill him. Fortunately, I won't have to. I don't chase ghosts.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You can be as religious as you like but don't preach your sh*t to me. Some 2000 year old story is hardly believable as absolute truth when a story can't cross a factory floor without changing.

Does that go for you as well? If you don't like preaching, you're in the wrong place. Ninety-five percent of what's posted on this site is preaching about something or other.

adopted

Electoral Member
Sep 23, 2008
BC
Nature is not a disease, and when I have a disease I wiil need a doctor not some Bubba in the sky.

Wow, now I'm "preaching to you" because you posted to the thread I started? Aren't you also a preacher of your faith-system?

You do have a disease. Your filthy mouth is just one symptom that gave it away.

But if you ignore your need and curse the doctor, you won't be helped.

You're right that stories change like the wind. All the more reason that you should be fascinated that the 2000 year old story is still the fastest growing religion in the world, and is the one that grips the hearts and minds of sinners like me.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
You're right that stories change like the wind. All the more reason that you should be fascinated that the 2000 year old story is still the fastest growing religion in the world, and is the one that grips the hearts and minds of sinners like me.
Which one f the 3500 different Christian sects is the fastest growing religion? I heard the Muslim religion had that honour. And the story has changed a hundred times since Constantine first assembled that collection of contradictory stories.