The More We Learn, the More Stupid We Become

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Is everything in the world peachy today...obviously not. Are they much better and more promising than 50 years ago...of course. The problem is the pace of change has accelerated and is accelerating and many people have problems keeping up. Add to this, the 24 hour news channels that dwell on stories that wouldn't have even been broadcast 50 years ago when there was only 3 TV stations and it's easy to feel as if things are getting much worse. Dump on top of this the mixing and melding of cultures as the world gets smaller and people see familiarity fall by the wayside.

Focus on the good things

- health care is much better today It is? Not in my province.
- there are better social programs Like what?
- technology allows average people to communicate with others around the world.
True.
- we are much freer today than 50 years ago (even in so-called free societies)
What about the children? Are they as free as they were in 59 or even in 79? Parents have to arrange play dates now. They have to walk their kids to and from school. More kids are abducted than ever before. More are beaten up by classmates than ever before. More are into drugs than ever before. The list goes on. Women and children are not being beaten any less than before. It's just more public now. We didn't have date rape drugs in the 50's or 60's or 70's. I don't believe we are more free.
There's lots of positives.
When we were growing up did you ever hear of a recession? Probably not. I never did and I did not know they existed. I recall the first time I ever heard of LSD. I was terrified that some horrible person who used it might actually come to our little town. It was probably already there and I just didn't know it. Communications were ever so slow but sometimes that's not a bad thing. Did we know not to lip our parents off? You bet. Did we show adults respect? You bet. Did we scream out foul words for all to hear? Not in our life. Did women swear the foul words they do today? Never. It was considered un-lady like behaviour. Lots of you might laugh at that but believe me, it was nicer and when a man didn't use that language in front of you, it meant he respected you. I'm not with you on this one Cannuck. I don't see a lot of positives. There are more broken families than ever before. You know, Spade created a thread about 100 uses for a woman or some name like that. If we were to create a list for good things versus bad things, I guarantee you the bad things list would grow considerably faster than the good things of today list.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I hear you VanIsle & can relate to what you say and I don't think there was much wrong, with what you describe in the "old days". I never thought swearing in front of women was particularly necessary, but we have to change with the times, if they are comfortable with it, then why not. In the late 60s a new "father figure" arrived on the scene for Canadians, a lot of people respected him......but for what? - He cost us close to $1/2billion dollars......who else do you know that could get away with that?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I never said anything is controling my life, I deal with everything and move on, Just certain things wouldn't have to be dealt with if it was 59' again ;)

Both my grandpa's were firefighters as well, I know the stories and they were happy to. And for all the non sense BS I have gone threw I'm very happy, I don't dwell on crap.

Life is a beautiful thing, thats why I'm still around, I find tons of stuff to occupy myself and keep things interesting.
Good. Then what was this all about?

Not that anyone is to afraid to look forward, there isn't a whole bunch to look forward too.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Not me! I am a ram. I was born in April :lol:
Awesome! I water everything. :D I am also a dog in Chinese astrology so if you mix Aquarian and dog, I guess you could say I mark a lot of territory. lol

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Kryptic: I would love to try raising my kids right now, but due to a bunch of legal shiat and a mother that should be shot, I don't have that option, and where do I stand? trying to interpret all this legal non sense on my own, because a lawyer is not an option as we are in a recession right now and money is scarce, legal aid? sure, but I made to much in the previous years.
What about "Dial A Law"? I think you can even go on line for dial a law. It might give you some help.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
- health care is much better today It is? Not in my province.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why seniors are so laughable. You actually believe that health care today is not better than it was 50 years ago. There really is no response I could make to such a stupid comment that would do justice.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Judging by how poorly adjusted most seniors I know are, the younger generation won't be anymore f****d up.

Most seniors??????? Most seniors i know are pretty well adjusted and more self sufficient than a lot of younger people.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why seniors are so laughable. You actually believe that health care today is not better than it was 50 years ago. There really is no response I could make to such a stupid comment that would do justice.

Stupid statement? What percentage of the federal and provincials budgets does health care eat up? What was the percentage 50 years ago. I don't recall waiting lists of months to over a year 50 years ago. Take the blinders off.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Most seniors??????? Most seniors i know are pretty well adjusted

You are free to believe whatever you like however

and more self sufficient than a lot of younger people.

Why shouldn't be more self sufficient? Your generation has saddled the younger generation with billions in debt. Kids are behind the eight ball before they even get started on their own.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You are free to believe whatever you like however

Why shouldn't be more self sufficient? Your generation has saddled the younger generation with billions in debt. Kids are behind the eight ball before they even get started on their own.

Sorry Bud, Trudeau wasn't a member of "my" generation.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Stupid statement? What percentage of the federal and provincials budgets does health care eat up? What was the percentage 50 years ago. I don't recall waiting lists of months to over a year 50 years ago. Take the blinders off.

Well of course you didn't have waiting lists 50 years ago. Wait for what? Could you get a new knee in 57? What about laser surgery on your eyes? I'm sure there wasn't a waiting list for that.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Sorry Bud, Trudeau wasn't a member of "my" generation.

You can't deny it with any amount of credibility. Face it, your generation lived an excessive lifestyle and stuck future generations with the bill...and now you embarrass yourself by claiming you are or were more self sufficient. Of course you aren't. You'd cry like a baby if the government cut off your social payments.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You can't deny it with any amount of credibility. Face it, your generation lived an excessive lifestyle and stuck future generations with the bill...and now you embarrass yourself by claiming you are or were more self sufficient. Of course you aren't. You'd cry like a baby if the government cut off your social payments.

What excessive lifestyle? I raised my family in mobile homes and drove used vehicles for about 17 years before being able to afford a new one. We basically avoided going deep into dept and saved more for what we wanted. Yep, I would be upset if my pensions were cut off, and you wouldn't? I paid into those for over 35 years.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
In some ways it isn't. In some ways it is. Hospitals were shiny clean back in the 70s. Now they have flies buzzing around inside (Trail, BC), roofs leaking (Nelson, BC), half-year long waiting lists (across Canada), estimates that healthcare will cost 75% of the gov'ts budgets by 2030, etc.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Geee, why is it so easy for kids to get and abuse credit cards? It isn't seniors' fault, it's banks' fault. EVERYONE of voting age votes in the governments that screw up the national debt, not just seniors. BTW, speaking of massive debt, the vast majority of the people that voted for Turdeau were under the age of 50.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well of course you didn't have waiting lists 50 years ago. Wait for what? Could you get a new knee in 57? What about laser surgery on your eyes? I'm sure there wasn't a waiting list for that.
So you are blaming the lack of medical procedures in the 50s on seniors? roflmao Funny, I could have sworn it was because research and development hadn't gotten as far as lasers and stuff yet in those days.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Our generations are doing the same thing to our children, too. Everyone of voting age elects governments, not just seniors.