The More We Learn, the More Stupid We Become

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
again, good case for consumer tax, aka gas tax, which is MORE then enough to pay for roads bridges etc. I'm down with that

quit sticking your fingers in my personal and corporate income tho, its not yours.

we need some form of tax yes, to make things work, but when its taken off your pay cheque, its not longer a tax its theft.

I'll go along with that. Wages should NOT be taxed, Bonuses to C.E.O.s could be taxed double to offset the loss of income tax. Consumer tax is good, especially for commodities like Rolls Royces and Lamborginis, yachts over 40', wine over $50 a bottle. Seriously if all (non food) articles were taxed, we could make up our own minds what we want to buy. I'm not even sure we could completely eliminate income tax but I'll bet if a political party could cut it in half, they'd never have to campaign again to get elected.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
OK, so you are not opposed to all taxation, now we are getting somewhere. Whether we should tax income or consumption is a very complex argument, with proponents on both sides, and that is a separate issue.

It is just that both you and JLM seem to trash taxation in general, so I had to enlighten you. Taxation is far from evil, it is the life blood of civilization.
Actually it is the life blood of SOME civilisations. Those are the ones that pay oligarchs, dictators, etc. to have them interfere in people's lives.
Others got along quite well without it.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Long story. The highlights are that Kryptic says one thing, does another. Cannuck calls him on it. Kyptic calls him a dip****. Ron deletes everything.

Now you are up to speed.
aaahhh a bunch deleted. ty. :)

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I'll go along with that. Wages should NOT be taxed, Bonuses to C.E.O.s could be taxed double to offset the loss of income tax. Consumer tax is good, especially for commodities like Rolls Royces and Lamborginis, yachts over 40', wine over $50 a bottle. Seriously if all (non food) articles were taxed, we could make up our own minds what we want to buy. I'm not even sure we could completely eliminate income tax but I'll bet if a political party could cut it in half, they'd never have to campaign again to get elected.

You have a rather naïve view of how politics works, JLM. If a party promises to slash income tax in half, sure they would be popular; people would support that party, who wouldn’t?

The Devil is in the detail. When it emerges that the party means to make severe cuts to services, it will drastically reduce or eliminate old age security, cut universal health care, cut funding for the disabled, elderly etc. (which it would inevitably have to do if it is going to drastically reduce taxation), any goodwill people have towards the party will be reduced substantially.

When it further emerges that a car will cost say, 3000 $ more, when that new house, which would cost 200,000 $, may mean paying out an extra 10,000 $ to the government coffers (that is what the party will have to do if it is going to tax consumption), any leftover goodwill towards the party will disappear in a flash. The party will be lucky to get any representation in the Parliament.

Everybody likes tax cuts, nobody likes the corresponding service cuts (hence the borrow and spend philosophy adopted by the Conservatives).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
No I don't trash taxation in general. I don't mind contributing for fire protection, police protection, public library etc. but that's not where the vast majority of it goes. I'm sick and tired to subsidizing drones and parasites at the troughs in Victoria and Ottawa.

That may be your view, JLM. But people in general don’t agree with that, they want government to provide all kinds of services. As I said in my previous post, if a party offers tax cuts, sure people will take it, but when the party tries to do corresponding service cuts, they will face stiff, probably insurmountable opposition.

In fact, it is the same in USA, as Bush found out to his cost, when he tried to privatize Social Security. Democrats rolled him even from the minority position in the Congress; they were able to prevent Bush from privatizing Social Security.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That may be your view, JLM. But people in general don’t agree with that, they want government to provide all kinds of services. As I said in my previous post, if a party offers tax cuts, sure people will take it, but when the party tries to do corresponding service cuts, they will face stiff, probably insurmountable opposition.

In fact, it is the same in USA, as Bush found out to his cost, when he tried to privatize Social Security. Democrats rolled him even from the minority position in the Congress; they were able to prevent Bush from privatizing Social Security.

Yep, that's where we are in trouble in this country today, people do want all kinds of services and they want the Gov't. to provide and Gov't. is the least efficient provider of anything.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Government Role

So what is the government there for?....Why do we pay taxes?..Business should be the provider of goods.. Government is there for the people and regulation..assess the countries needs and DO ..Problem is the government seems to have forgotten their role somewhere along the line...Services are more for information and number games nowadays than efficientcy...When the numbers aren't what they're lookin for ..They change them..There's too many rules and regulations..Laws that are needed are already there..Politicians today are simply there to confuse things...Glorified bookys for Big Biz...

Einstein "The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax."

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

not sure who's quote this is ..:) "The More You Learn, the More You Realize What You Don't Know"

Last edited:

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
JLM - "Primarily to enact legislation and secondarily to be a watch dog, particularly
so marginalized people don't get abused. NOT to engage in business better handled by experts in the field."

I agree JLM ...Unless of course those businesses run us all into the ground then recieve trillions in bailouts from their buddy politicians of the backs of the hard working people(slave drones) ..due to lack of regulations and oversight..

Big Biz ..Big Government ...Same dif...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM - "Primarily to enact legislation and secondarily to be a watch dog, particularly
so marginalized people don't get abused. NOT to engage in business better handled by experts in the field."

I agree JLM ...Unless of course those businesses run us all into the ground then recieve trillions in bailouts from their buddy politicians of the backs of the hard working people(slave drones) ..due to lack of regulations and oversight..

Big Biz ..Big Government ...Same dif...

I guess that is where we the consumers can exercise some control, we only do business with those who treat us well and don't try to run us into the ground, albeit the oil companies gang up and set prices and are not in competition.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
JLM "I guess that is where we the consumers can exercise some control, we only do business with those who treat us well and don't try to run us into the ground, albeit the oil companies gang up and set prices and are not in competition"

agreed -- Wish it were that easy..Government traps and Biz crap lines that path...All we can do is try not to step in it..Not easy when everyone up top are A holes ..LOL.joke

Greenfish66 quotes.." Everytime I climb the ladder some A holes comin down ." ..From a tune I wrote " R U Happy"...Lol ..thankless self promotion

GreenFish66 on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yep, that's where we are in trouble in this country today, people do want all kinds of services and they want the Gov't. to provide and Gov't. is the least efficient provider of anything.
Exactly, if gov't didn't waste so much, people wouldn't mind paying taxes so much.
By the sounds of it, some people prefer gov't to be like it is in "Yes, Minister" and "Yes, Prime Minister".