The More We Learn, the More Stupid We Become

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
You're batting just about a thousand for being wrong this morning, S.J. Why would I have to live in a cave if I didn't pay taxes, when I'm living in a house and paying taxes? If I didn't pay taxes I'd have another 40% to put toward a dwelling place.

I did not say you will have to live in cave, JLM. I said without taxation, we all would be living in caves.

When first villages were formed, how do you think the roads were built? Not without taxation. What supported the warriors defending the tribe? Again, taxation. The taxation may have been in the form of contributing labour, cattle, crop etc., but it was taxation nonetheless.

And that is really when taxation started, in prehistoric times, whenever a group of people lived together. Later on kings imposed taxation, sometimes punitive taxation.

But taxation is what finances road, bridge building, infrastructure, trade, defense, health care, down to services such as garbage removal. Without any taxation, you would end up living in your own garbage.

The technological, scientific advances, none of them would have been possible without taxation. Without taxation, we would not have advanced beyond the cave level, where everybody forages for absolutely anything he needs, where there is no centralized agency building roads, establishing communication networks, defending the country, providing relief for the poor (don’t provide relief for the poor and what do you get? Social unrest, street fighting, which is in no way conducive to progress).

Without taxation, we all would be living in caves today.

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta
I did not say you will have to live in cave, JLM. I said without taxation, we all would be living in caves.

When first villages were formed, how do you think the roads were built? Not without taxation. What supported the warriors defending the tribe? Again, taxation. The taxation may have been in the form of contributing labour, cattle, crop etc., but it was taxation nonetheless.

And that is really when taxation started, in prehistoric times, whenever a group of people lived together. Later on kings imposed taxation, sometimes punitive taxation.

But taxation is what finances road, bridge building, infrastructure, trade, defense, health care, down to services such as garbage removal. Without any taxation, you would end up living in your own garbage.

The technological, scientific advances, none of them would have been possible without taxation. Without taxation, we would not have advanced beyond the cave level, where everybody forages for absolutely anything he needs, where there is no centralized agency building roads, establishing communication networks, defending the country, providing relief for the poor (don’t provide relief for the poor and what do you get? Social unrest, street fighting, which is in no way conducive to progress).

Without taxation, we all would be living in caves today.

again, good case for consumer tax, aka gas tax, which is MORE then enough to pay for roads bridges etc. I'm down with that

quit sticking your fingers in my personal and corporate income tho, its not yours.

we need some form of tax yes, to make things work, but when its taken off your pay cheque, its not longer a tax its theft.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
again, good case for consumer tax, aka gas tax, which is MORE then enough to pay for roads bridges etc. I'm down with that

quit sticking your fingers in my personal and corporate income tho, its not yours.

we need some form of tax yes, to make things work, but when its taken off your pay cheque, its not longer a tax its theft.

OK, so you are not opposed to all taxation, now we are getting somewhere. Whether we should tax income or consumption is a very complex argument, with proponents on both sides, and that is a separate issue.

It is just that both you and JLM seem to trash taxation in general, so I had to enlighten you. Taxation is far from evil, it is the life blood of civilization.

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta
OK, so you are not opposed to all taxation, now we are getting somewhere. Whether we should tax income or consumption is a very complex argument, with proponents on both sides, and that is a separate issue.

It is just that both you and JLM seem to trash taxation in general, so I had to enlighten you. Taxation is far from evil, it is the life blood of civilization.

O.O

you didn't enlighten me dude, my stance hasn't changed from the begining of this thread.

in fact it hasn't changed for the last 12 years I have worked my balls off.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

No I don't trash taxation in general. I don't mind contributing for fire protection, police protection, public library etc. but that's not where the vast majority of it goes. I'm sick and tired to subsidizing drones and parasites at the troughs in Victoria and Ottawa.