The More We Learn, the More Stupid We Become

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Thats true, if you ignore all the crap, there is no crap, its all good then. I'm sure there is a lot of good left, but it seems to be left below the surface of most.
You don't ignore it. You can get good at sitting it on the back burner while you find something enjoyable for a while, though. It's similar to having the ability to separate work related issues from homelife.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
maybe read whats going on in the world, I used to be optimistic, but reality sets in eventually and you see things for what they truely are.

Maybe stop reading about the ills of the entire world, and step out into your community. It sounds like you really need to seek some balance for your intake of bad news.

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta
You don't ignore it. You can get good at sitting it on the back burner while you find something enjoyable for a while, though. It's similar to having the ability to separate work related issues from homelife.

Is there really a difference to ignoring or putting it on the back burner?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Is there really a difference to ignoring or putting it on the back burner?
Ignore your pork chop simmering in the pan sometime instead of just letting it simmer on the back burner while you do the sauce and veggies.

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta
Maybe stop reading about the ills of the entire world, and step out into your community. It sounds like you really need to seek some balance for your intake of bad news.

I never gave a shiat about what was happening in the world until what happened in the world affected me.

Oh don't worry, I eat a well balanced diet of good and bad, the whole point of this thread was to point out the bad, remember? ;)

And I highly doubt being in my community is gonna help my happiness level, I'll just confirm everything I have said here when I talk to anyone around here :)

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta
Ignore your pork chop simmering in the pan sometime instead of just letting it simmer on the back burner while you do the sauce and veggies.

If I ignore it, I forget about it, and I end up with a burn't pork chop that the dog won't even eat.

but I see what you mean.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
If I ignore it, I forget about it, and I end up with a burn't pork chop that the dog won't even eat.
Exactly. So you put it on the back burner while you tend to the rest of dinner and when all is done, you tend to the pork chop and serve it with the rest.

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta
but on the other hand, things come up in life that can't be put on the back burner, the news sure, you can set the perils of others on the back burner no problem, I did it fine for a long time, but when it comes up and slaps you in the face personally.

Then what?

My point is simply this, like the OP said things have gotten out of hand, and I am just saying I agree, cuz I have been going threw it, among others I know, personally. :)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My point is simply this, like the OP said things have gotten out of hand, and I am just saying I agree, cuz I have been going threw it, among others I know, personally. :)

No. SOME things have gotten out of hand. Sometimes those things brush up against us, and make themselves all we can see, but that doesn't make them all there is to the world. Sometimes you need to crane your neck and see past, or move entirely so that you can see past. But there IS more to the world than the few negative things.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
but on the other hand, things come up in life that can't be put on the back burner, the news sure, you can set the perils of others on the back burner no problem, I did it fine for a long time, but when it comes up and slaps you in the face personally.

Then what?
Then you deal with it and move on. If you let it control your life, you've lost.

My husband is a retired firefighter. He has seen people burnt to death, suffocated to death, dismembered, mangled in car crashes, etc. yet he can still see humor and beauty in life.

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta
Then you deal with it and move on. If you let it control your life, you've lost.

My husband is a retired firefighter. He has seen people burnt to death, suffocated to death, dismembered, mangled in car crashes, etc. yet he can still see humor and beauty in life.

I never said anything is controling my life, I deal with everything and move on, Just certain things wouldn't have to be dealt with if it was 59' again ;)

Both my grandpa's were firefighters as well, I know the stories and they were happy to. And for all the non sense BS I have gone threw I'm very happy, I don't dwell on crap.

Life is a beautiful thing, thats why I'm still around, I find tons of stuff to occupy myself and keep things interesting.

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta
No. SOME things have gotten out of hand. Sometimes those things brush up against us, and make themselves all we can see, but that doesn't make them all there is to the world. Sometimes you need to crane your neck and see past, or move entirely so that you can see past. But there IS more to the world than the few negative things.

There is a lot of negative things happening right now, not just a few. And if you haven't seen them, your in for a surprise. I just don't want that. My generation and ones below me are in for a rough ride, I'm not sure of your age Karrie, but the boomer generation had things easier, less laws, less government spending of your future generations, less people wanting to beat the crap out of you in a bar (gangs), just to name a few.

Ever been in a consentual fight between another person? I have, and I got charged with assault afterwards. He didn't, and cops refused to charge him back, they wanted to see me in trouble, it failed for them of course when it got to court, but back to the OP, if it were 59' it surely wouldn't have even gone to the cops.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
There is a lot of negative things happening right now, not just a few. And if you haven't seen them, your in for a surprise. I just don't want that. My generation and ones below me are in for a rough ride, I'm not sure of your age Karrie, but the boomer generation had things easier, less laws, less government spending of your future generations, less people wanting to beat the crap out of you in a bar (gangs), just to name a few.

Ever been in a consentual fight between another person? I have, and I got charged with assault afterwards. He didn't, and cops refused to charge him back, they wanted to see me in trouble, it failed for them of course when it got to court, but back to the OP, if it were 59' it surely wouldn't have even gone to the cops.

I'm 30. I've seen plenty of bar fights, yet never been in one, but that doesn't mean I haven't had my fair share of **** happen in my life, or had my share of issues because of the modern mentality. Try raising kids right now. You can't without bumping up against modern attitudes, especially when raising a son. But, that doesn't mean it outweighs the beneficial changes.

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta
I'm 30. I've seen plenty of bar fights, yet never been in one, but that doesn't mean I haven't had my fair share of **** happen in my life, or had my share of issues because of the modern mentality. Try raising kids right now. You can't without bumping up against modern attitudes, especially when raising a son. But, that doesn't mean it outweighs the beneficial changes.

Right, different experiences bring different views, the modern mentality is what the scarey thing is, modern mentality is why 59' was better.

If your boy does something dumb (which he will, all boys do lol) and you spank him and someone reports you for child abuse and you loose him, now the 2009 way of doing things isn't so great.

In 59' and even when I grew up, I did dumb things I got my ass beat, and it worked, I turned out not to bad, compared to some of my peers that had the time outs or talking too's. Thats why I can't go into a bar now without some peckerhead thinking its time for a brawl, and thats why I have to make the choice to walk away, cuz for some odd reason I always find myself in a lot of trouble even when I am only defending myself. If it was 59' he would be taken out back and have the ever loving shiat beat outta him and next time there would be no issue, if I do it now, I need a good lawyer, so the system can milk me outta some hard earned dollars.

I would love to try raising my kids right now, but due to a bunch of legal shiat and a mother that should be shot, I don't have that option, and where do I stand? trying to interpret all this legal non sense on my own, because a lawyer is not an option as we are in a recession right now and money is scarce, legal aid? sure, but I made to much in the previous years.

why are we in a recession? maybe because of a world wide ponzi scheme that finally blew up.

yeah, 2009 is much better then 1959

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
McLuhan: "celebrity is news and everything else is entertainment".
Some people have gotten smarter and wiser. The rest of us haven't changed, we're mostly still just dumb sheep.

Not me! I am a ram. I was born in April :lol:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If your boy does something dumb (which he will, all boys do lol) and you spank him and someone reports you for child abuse and you loose him, now the 2009 way of doing things isn't so great.

In 59' and even when I grew up, I did dumb things I got my ass beat, and it worked, I turned out not to bad, compared to some of my peers that had the time outs or talking too's.

Know what....when you were growing up, the same laws were in effect then as now. Your parents were lucky that no one, or even you, reported them to social services or you would been removed from the home and your parents charged. How do I know?...because I have kids your age, older, and younger.

I would love to try raising my kids right now, but due to a bunch of legal shiat and a mother that should be shot, I don't have that option, and where do I stand? trying to interpret all this legal non sense on my own, because a lawyer is not an option as we are in a recession right now and money is scarce, legal aid? sure, but I made to much in the previous years.

This makes no sense at all as to why you couldn't be raising yur own kids like Karrie is doing.
why are we in a recession? maybe because of a world wide ponzi scheme that finally blew up.

yeah, 2009 is much better then 1959

Guess what, we had a recession in the 80's, we had a depression in the 30's. In 1959 we didn't have the health care we have now, not to mention the miriad of other technological advances that have been made since then.

The only thing that made 1959 better than any other year was the fact that both my wife and I were born in that year.:lol:

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Doesn't every generation, to some extent, look back with a certain longing at what once was but no longer is. Isn't it human nature to search for the comfort found in the past, no matter that the past is never what we think it was, especially in times of turmoil and unrest. Our present world can be a very disheartening place at times, yet it can also be inspiring.

I see nothing wrong in looking back, it is in not looking forward that we, at times, fail. We can learn much about human nature by studying the past. Studying it is, however, much different than getting wrapped up in it, to the exclusion of the reality around us. Just as people in the past sought to make their world a better place, it is our duty to try as we can to make ours a better place too.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Is everything in the world peachy today...obviously not. Are they much better and more promising than 50 years ago...of course. The problem is the pace of change has accelerated and is accelerating and many people have problems keeping up. Add to this, the 24 hour news channels that dwell on stories that wouldn't have even been broadcast 50 years ago when there was only 3 TV stations and it's easy to feel as if things are getting much worse. Dump on top of this the mixing and melding of cultures as the world gets smaller and people see familiarity fall by the wayside.

Focus on the good things

- health care is much better today
- there are better social programs
- technology allows average people to communicate with others around the world.
- we are much freer today than 50 years ago (even in so-called free societies)

There's lots of positives.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
we can blame it on human rights because everyone wants the same
No. We can blame much of it on the man in your avatar. The rest we can blame on lax laws for immigrants. We allow newcomers too much latitude when they move to this country. We can also blame it on our lack of a decent judicial system.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
50 Years Ago & Now; The more we learn & know, the more stupid we become...

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1959-Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2009-School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1959-Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2009-Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged them with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

1959-Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal He then returns to class, sits still, and does not disrupt class again.

2009-Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1959-Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2009-Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1959- Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.

2009- The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

1959- Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, and goes to college.

2009- Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro 's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

1959- Ants die.

2009-ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents -- and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:

Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1959- In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2009- Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

Yep, it's a sign of the times, a lot of the crap that happens today is because some people have to stick their noses into things that don't concern them and the ones who do are generally the least qualified to judge the situation and are definitely the least qualified to fix it. Paranoia is running rampant today, thanks mainly to the media. Teachers nowadays are not allowed to touch a kid. No wonder kids are so screwed up. Of course it they did happen to touch him........it would definitely be for an ulterior motive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How are the kids going to grow up well adjusted when so many adults are so f****d up?