Tar sands = filthy dirty bitumen "oil"

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
So you say. Where are the news stories here, the links? Just more talk. A corporate hack at work.

Gloss through any energy magazine and you will read all about TRO and the new technology that lets mature fine tailings settle and actually break the bond with water so it will evaporate in 30 days or less instead of 30 years.We have it down to 6 days weather permitting,it's a work in progress to improve but it will be improved upon as it is NEW technology.

It's in every single energy magazine and allmost every issue.
I'm not a corporate hack whatever that is either.
Think I posted the online edition links to Juan many times in another oilsands threads,maybe you conveniently missed it.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Dirty Filthy Oil and the future of green ..

Another Great thread Dumpthemonarchy - It is time Governments Stop funding The Big Energy Biz ."They" have enough $$ without needing ours.

It is time to invest in a Greener/Cleaner Energy Future.All energies competeing on 1 fair economic playing field...

Enviro-Green and Eco(nomic)- Green, all under 1 Green Umbrella....

Environment/Ecology in proper balance with Economics will move us forever positively forward into the future..

I believe most (including stubborn leaders) have begun to acknowledge the New Green/Clean Tech future is here now, and is necessary to ensuring our survival , as civilized inhabitants on this 1 of a kind Planet.

I believe most have seen the light and will agree the light is Green ..We must move and act now to protect our Civilized future and Respect Our Home planet.. We are all on 1

It is up to You and me , Us and Them to make sure We All , Great and small "Live long and Prosper"....;):)

Just a reminder, Liberal Red is NOT Green ...

Green/Clean Tech is Now .It is the future..

I'm glad you like, you obviously have good taste and can see the problems the country has.

Big Hydrocarbon make billions and they still need subsidies. Which then makes green energy "too expensive." Biz talks of a level playing field, but they lie, they want their way or no way. No wonder people call them fossils.

Gloss through any energy magazine and you will read all about TRO and the new technology that lets mature fine tailings settle and actually break the bond with water so it will evaporate in 30 days or less instead of 30 years.We have it down to 6 days weather permitting,it's a work in progress to improve but it will be improved upon as it is NEW technology.

It's in every single energy magazine and allmost every issue.
I'm not a corporate hack whatever that is either.
Think I posted the online edition links to Juan many times in another oilsands threads,maybe you conveniently missed it.

Talking is not doing. Well, repost the links here for mine and everyone's convenience.

I'm kinda like Sgt Sxhulz here, paraphrasing, "I know nothing about the tailings-toxic ponds shrinking."

A brief update on energy industry euphemisms

oil sands are tar sands
tailings ponds are toxic lakes

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I';ll do your homework for you in the morning if you cant figure out that google is your friend,Try TRO and MFT and oilsands or taings ponds for a keyword.
They are shrinking,one huge one reclaimed and finished a month ago and another in the process as I type this and thats in one of the biggest mines.
They are not allowed to build new tailings ponds right now.

I would post pics but I'm not allowed to,no cams allowed without ten permits.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I punched "TRO and MFT and oilsands" into google and got an el lamo press release from marketwatch. Tar sands gets an F in the environment subject.

Suncor should be posting pics to show what a fantastic job they are doing. But they don't because they aren't.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I punched "TRO and MFT and oilsands" into google and got an el lamo press release from marketwatch. Tar sands gets an F in the environment subject.

Suncor should be posting pics to show what a fantastic job they are doing. But they don't because they aren't.

Thats odd because i punched it into google and got 2630 results,heres the first one that showed.
Maybe this will enlighten you about MFT.

It's a fairly simple process and I'm involved in everything from dredging and processing the MFT to the control room,plant and final drying of it. Watch the video,and there are also pics.

Tailings Management - Suncor

Tailings Ponds, An Ongoing Challenge

Oil sands mines produce tailings that are a mixture of water, clay, sand and residual bitumen producing during the extraction process. When tailings are released to a pond, the heaviest material — mostly sand — settles to the bottom, while water rises to the top. The middle layer, the mature fine tailings (MFT), is made up of fine clay particles suspended in water. Some of these particles settle, but much remains suspended. The challenge is that MFT does not settle within a reasonable timeframe. As a result, Suncor has needed more and larger oil sands tailings ponds over the years.
In the 1990s, we pioneered consolidated tailings technology to help speed up the consolidation of MFT into a soil-like deposit that can be re-vegetated and reclaimed. Since then we have developed a new technique called Tailings Reduction Operations, which promises significant improvements.
A New Approach to Tailings Management

The implementation of the TROTM process involves converting fluid fine tailings more rapidly into a solid landscape suitable for reclamation. In this process, MFT is mixed with a polymer flocculent, then deposited in thin layers over sand beaches with shallow slopes. The resulting product is a dry material that is capable of being reclaimed in place or moved to another location for final reclamation. This drying process occurs over a matter of weeks, allowing for more rapid reclamation activities to occur.
The new process is expected to improve tailings management going forward, and can also be used to reduce existing tailings inventory at Suncor’s operations.

Last edited:

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Thats odd because i punched it into google and got 2630 results,heres the first one that showed.
Maybe this will enlighten you about MFT.

It's a fairly simple process and I'm involved in everything from dredging and processing the MFT to the control room,plant and final drying of it. Watch the video,and there are also pics.

Tailings Management - Suncor

The link is corporate fluff from a PR hack.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
The link is corporate fluff from a PR hack.

no it isnt,it's the same technology used to sink your turds in the local sewer treatement plant and it works,I see it every day and on a windy day can have more clay dried up in 3 days then you could in 3 years with the old technology,you obviously didnt check out the link or the video because even a 5 year old could understand it after watching it.

Some folks only see what they want to though instead of keeping an open mind and being pro active as far as new solutions go.

Too bad for you,you seem awfull biased and now only useing the oilsands to push some kind of hatred on Alberta,maybe it's jelousy because were doing so good financially.I see that often,people that ignore facts after their theory has been shot down in the blink of an eye.

I feel sorry for you,allmost pity,I bet you dont WANT to see the oilsands tailings ponds get cleaned up,that would go against your childish agenda.

Suck it up princess.:canada:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Such responses clearly explain why the Alberta govt and populous allow the plunder of the tar sands and gets minimal royalties.

The threads not about royalties,theres another thread devoted to that.
You obviously have an agenda and have delved into a subject you know nothing about,hence,the distracting post.

Watch the video,it's dumbed down so a kid could figure it out,because of folks like you.:p

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Tailings – Alberta Environment

Lotsa links there. But it might be fluff cuz it is a AB gov't site.

It's really simple stuff actually and theres millions to be made cleaning up these tailings ponds,all the oilsands companys have agreed to meet the stringent guidelines set out by the govt to clean them up and they also vowed to exceed them.

They will and there is only a few small flocculent polymer plants right now doing so,one per pond.This is going to be huge in the next few years and make the oilsands environmentally sustainable and responsible for reclamation.

This TRO with MTF is #1 priority in all the oilsands operations right now.
500 million dollars committed at Suncor alone this year.
Thats a lot of clean up and a lot of jobs.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Back to topic of the original post.

Which is better: Using our very own 'filthy, dirty bitumen oil' or being beholden to the sheiks who would like nothing better than fly a few airplanes into carefully selected Canadian targets?

And impose Sharia Law, just to complete their conquest?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Back to topic of the original post.

Which is better: Using our very own 'filthy, dirty bitumen oil' or being beholden to the sheiks who would like nothing better than fly a few airplanes into carefully selected Canadian targets?

And impose Sharia Law, just to complete their conquest?

Exactly,we have enough that we dont have to be held hostage to foreign oil supplys.

Their oilfields arent exactly very environmentally friendly either,at least we have strict controls and regulations here in Canada.
Not to mention the thousands upon thousands of jobs created by the oilsands,that keeps the money here in Canada.