Tar sands = filthy dirty bitumen "oil"

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Stop subsidizing Big oil ..They have enough Dirty $$$...Invest in Green Energies ..The time is now to bring fair competition to the energy sector..No more excuses ...It is all doable ...The way has been cleared ...The Light is green ...So let's Go Green/Clean Tech ...;):)

.....And repeat...

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Is so called "Green Energy" ready to replace oil or coal yet. When the technology reaches that level then it is time to switch.

That's nonsense. Our energy infrastructure has developed over centuries, piece-meal, not overnight. This is not a valid point at all. Some people still use biomass...

All the money in the world will not make new technology advance any faster.
...uhh, yes it will actually. That's what R&D does...

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Is so called "Green Energy" ready to replace oil or coal yet.

Not completely, but it is certainly at a level that can reduce it's use by quite a bit.

[/QUOTE] When the technology reaches that level then it is time to switch.[/QUOTE]

Already there.

[/QUOTE]All the money in the world will not make new technology advance any faster.[/QUOTE]

You don't need all the money in the world.

[/QUOTE] There is no need to make the world suffer any more than it is by rushing what can only come with time.[/QUOTE]

Doing nothing will likely do just that.

Our current use of energy is simply unsustainable.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Is so called "Green Energy" ready to replace oil or coal yet. When the technology reaches that level then it is time to switch. All the money in the world will not make new technology advance any faster. There is no need to make the world suffer any more than it is by rushing what can only come with time.

No,it isnt,even here in Alberta where most power comes from,they cant build the windmills fast enough(I live next to one of Canada's biggest windfarms),the coalplants still are running full bore(genesee and sheerness) and some provinces arent on stream with power transmission lines,B.C. and Alberta right now can send power back and forth and do every 24 hour cycle,it flows where needed,Saskatchewan cant do that.
Plus any new power transmission lines dont get approval from guess who?
Rich environuts who dont want it in their back yards,so hard to send power when theres no lines to do so.They stall any new transmission lines with mega hearings after all permits and due diligence is done,same with our windfarms.
Apparently they are eyesores.
Alberta provides power from coal(we have lots)oilsands(we have lots) and wind generators(we have way too much wind) so the infrastructure like mentioned before isnt there.I know this from working with the Altalinks south crew last year replacing power structures going into B.C. that were installed back in the 50's!
They got approval to put in a new line running to Montana from our wind farm thats allmost completed as I type this,getting this done across Canada will take years because of the paperwork.

I find it hilarious that the same people who bitch and moan about Alberta's energy industry dont go after the folks who hold back the greening of it,guess it's easier to denounce the oilsands and coal plants.I think for the most part it's mainly jelousy of Alberta's prosperity as shown by the ignorance I have seen posted about the oilsands.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I know firsthand what the equipment and manpower costs and were stillhiring and buying more,my company just spent over ten million on new equipment,you dont do that on a false promise of a big budget.

Take it from me and i'll bet money on it.We had a target to get over a million more tonnes by the end of this month,if we reached it the budgets doubled as that shows we can handle the production,we did.

But what do I know? I'm only working with the very top guys in the tro project at all levels.
Your just someone on a forum who will whine even louder when more reclamation gets achieved.

Plus i'm sure if you tried hard enough(try google) you would find the budget numbers right from suncor but i wont bet on it as you wouldnt even click my link explaining exactly what TRO is complete with video,just whine i didnt provide a link after i posted it a half dozen times.

Okay, I totally believe you work in the tar sands, you're so into your work, you have no idea how to convince anyone of anything. You just talk talk talk. You explain why Big Oil is getting a beatdown from the enviros. The cozy world of Big Oil and the Alberta govt is over.

If one toxic pond bursts like the toxic pond that burst in Hungary and caused widespread damage, you guys will be done like dinner. You now walk on eggshells.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Okay, I totally believe you work in the tar sands, you're so into your work, you have no idea how to convince anyone of anything. You just talk talk talk. You explain why Big Oil is getting a beatdown from the enviros. The cozy world of Big Oil and the Alberta govt is over.

If one toxic pond bursts like the toxic pond that burst in Hungary and caused widespread damage, you guys will be done like dinner. You now walk on eggshells.

If you had any idea at all how they are built you would know thats impossible,for starters their old pits,the holes dug into the ground where the bitumen and all its related toxins came from in the first place.Second they are all diked at the rim and none are filled up past ground level anyways so nothing can burst.

I talk talk talk all the time because guys like you just dont get it,I have to keep dumbing it down to a grade school level as you just dont have any idea what the oilsands or any mine is about,how they are mined or constructed and what laws we have to follow.
Maybe it just come easily to me to understand with over a quarter century mining experience.
I havent been at the oilsands that long when my other experience in mining is factored in but I have been there long enough to know that most of what you read against it is pure bullshi* and propaganda from some very ignorant people.

The mining industry has been under a microscope for many years and has many many environmentally responsible people working for them,this isnt Hungary,we do things different here.

I'm not a fan of big oil,I work in TRO which stands for Tailings Reduction Operations.
We get rid of tailings,nothing more!

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
If you had any idea at all how they are built you would know thats impossible,for starters their old pits,the holes dug into the ground where the bitumen and all its related toxins came from in the first place.Second they are all diked at the rim and none are filled up past ground level anyways so nothing can burst.

Nice. Did you know that Pond 1 stands 91 m ABOVE the river?

Yes, I know it's being decommissioned, but when in use, it was above the river level.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Nice. Did you know that Pond 1 stands 91 m ABOVE the river?

Yes, I know it's being decommissioned, but when in use, it was above the river level.

Like most rivers,the Athabasca is the lowest elevation in the area,gravity has that effect on water,it seeks lower elevations.

All the oilsands operations start out above river elevation,the ponds eventually get lower as they are formed from the pits they extract the bitumen from.When the pits abandoned then and only then does it become a pond.

Allmost all strip mines operate this way,mine the deposit and then fill the old pit with the overburden from new deposits.For tailings ponds its the exact same material that came out of them minus the bitumen.That means now with better extraction,it's mostly sand thats redeposited,the mine fine tailings which were trying to get rid of and cause the most problems for reclamation are simply clay.The sand settles at the bottom,then the MFT sits in suspension above the sand,thats what my company does,gets rid of the MFT.

With the amount of multi million dollar dredges comeing on the site the last few months the ponds will start dissapearing fairly quickly in a couple of years.We actually have to use the beaches of the existing ponds to get rid of the MFT in the ponds,the beaches are created by receding water levels in the ponds.Thats where we spread out the mft to dry after it's mixed with flocculent.