Tar sands = filthy dirty bitumen "oil"

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'm a little curious gerry, how many of the furnaces that you install are checked and certified each year for being energy efficient, let alone safe?
The only reason they are doing anything at all is because of market pressures not environmentalist pressure or even a conscience. 1% after 50 years of screwing up the place is pathetic. But as long as it puts money in your pocket you will sing their praises.

Skatchie

Time Out
Sep 24, 2010
Assiniboia
The only reason they are doing anything at all is because of market pressures not environmentalist pressure or even a conscience. 1% after 50 years of screwing up the place is pathetic. But as long as it puts money in your pocket you will sing their praises.

Name me an industry that isn't like that. I'd like to hear one. I'm not pro oil but they are no different than big pharmacy or any others.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

I suppose that it has nothing to do with the laws, eh?... Ohh, that's right, I forgot all about the tin-foil hat club believes that Big Oil makes all the laws.

I've said it before and I'll say it to you; stop buying AB oil. It really is that simple Cliffy.

Get some people together and demand that your local gas station(s), nat gas providers, etc source their oil/gas from BC, Texas, California, etc.. Anywhere but AB.

Until you are actually prepared to put your money where your mouth is and do something - anything - all your words are just pissing and moaning.

Name me an industry that isn't like that. I'd like to hear one. I'm not pro oil but they are no different than big pharmacy or any others.

Apparently the furnace/heating business is not like that... Just ask gerry, he swears that each and every furnace that he has installed is meticulously checked for efficiency and safety each and every year.

Hell of a guy that gerry to take-on such a responsible position in such an environmentally friendly industry.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I'd love to see the oil producing provinces impose an enviro-tax (or a tailings-clean-up-tax) on any oil/gas that leaves the provincial borders.. No doubt all of the whiners here and in the eco-lobbies would crap themselves as it would cost them (personally) more cash out of pocket.

The do-gooder Truthers want "something" done, but only as long as it doesn't cost them any cash.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I've said it before and I'll say it to you; stop buying AB oil. It really is that simple Cliffy.

Get some people together and demand that your local gas station(s), nat gas providers, etc source their oil/gas from BC, Texas, California, etc.. Anywhere but AB.

Until you are actually prepared to put your money where your mouth is and do something - anything - all your words are just pissing and moaning.

Apparently the furnace/heating business is not like that... Just ask gerry, he swears that each and every furnace that he has installed is meticulously checked for efficiency and safety each and every year.

Hell of a guy that gerry to take-on such a responsible position in such an environmentally friendly industry.

No, we should be able to take advantage of our own resources AND do so in a more environmental way. How about you idiots take less of a profit.

As for your comment on the furnaces that "I" have installed. Sorry, but the company I work for is very conscientious about ensuring the furnaces that we have installed are serviced every year. More money in our pockets that way.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'd love to see the oil producing provinces impose an enviro-tax (or a tailings-clean-up-tax) on any oil/gas that leaves the provincial borders.. No doubt all of the whiners here and in the eco-lobbies would crap themselves as it would cost them (personally) more cash out of pocket.

The do-gooder Truthers want "something" done, but only as long as it doesn't cost them any cash.
I have a car but I hardly use it, perhaps $20 worth a month. I walk or use my bicycle.
I even built a log home using only standing dead trees. I built a methane digester and hooked it up to a gas engine to produce electricity to charge my 12 volt Cat battery. More efficient than kerosene, less dangerous and more environmentally friendly.
I do put my money where my mouth is, too bad more people don't.

And life is just not black and white. Given the opportunity, most people would prefer environmentally sound alternatives to gas and oil but since Big Oil lobbies to get all the R&D monies, we still don't have alternatives. You can call people all the names you want, but in the end, your jabber is just self serving gibberish.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
No, we should be able to take advantage of our own resources AND do so in a more environmental way. How about you idiots take less of a profit.

It's a market economy champ, you gotta pay to play, just like you don't install free furnaces for everyone in your city... The message (again) is that your enviro-consciousness costs something gerry... Afterall, isn't the environment worth a few thousand more each year?

But then again, this goes back to your expectation that YOU should be propped-up and subsidized by anyone that makes a few more dollars than you.

As for your comment on the furnaces that "I" have installed. Sorry, but the company I work for is very conscientious about ensuring the furnaces that we have installed are serviced every year. More money in our pockets that way.

What?! You mean that you don't do it for the environment!... Do you mean to say that you do it for money?!

Greedy bastards. Polluting the environment with your filthy, inefficient and unsafe products.

Capitalist pigs.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
And life is just not black and white. Given the opportunity, most people would prefer environmentally sound alternatives to gas and oil but since Big Oil lobbies to get all the R&D monies, we still don't have alternatives. You can call people all the names you want, but in the end, your jabber is just self serving gibberish.

Greenie do-gooder Truther!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It's a market economy champ, you gotta pay to play, just like you don't install free furnaces for everyone in your city... The message (again) is that your enviro-conscious costs something gerry... Afterall, isn't the environment worth a few thousand more each year?

But then again, this goes back to your expectation that YOU should be propped-up and subsidized by anyone that makes a few more dollars than you.

What?! You mean that you don't do it for the environment!... Do you mean to say that you do it for money?!

Greedy bastards. Polluting the environment with your filthy, inefficient and unsafe products.

Capitalist pigs.

I'm curious, are you also bi-polar?

I realize that things cost money. I have no problem with paying a premium if that premium actually goes towards environmental changes. Right now, and in the past, exorbitant profits for the oil industry has been used to line pockets only and the hell with our environment. Time for that to change.

You'll have to explain the comment in red. All residential forced air furnaces installed, as of the beginning of this year, must be 90% efficient or better. The vast majority are also running DC powered main blower motors.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I'm curious, are you also bi-polar?

I'm impressed gerry.. You were able to use such a big word all by yourself... I'll bet that you are at the top of your special needs class.

Good for you!

I realize that things cost money. I have no problem with paying a premium if that premium actually goes towards environmental changes. Right now, and in the past, exorbitant profits for the oil industry has been used to line pockets only and the hell with our environment. Time for that to change.

A part of that money IS going towards that. I suggested that the province of AB levy a special enviro-tax on top of the oil. It will be paid by the groups that buy it and then passed along to their consumers; like you for example.

But that wasn't good enough, remember?.. You don't want to have to pay it, so I guess that your message is "to hell with the environment if it costs gerry any money"

You'll have to explain the comment in red. All residential forced air furnaces installed, as of the beginning of this year, must be 90% efficient or better. The vast majority are also running DC powered main blower motors.

the explanation of the comment in red is easy.

The furnace HVAC industry is making it far to easy for consumers to pollute the environment and kill the Earth... You guys are the pushers of bad eco-alternatives in teh world.

You ought to be ashamed.

(In case you haven't dealt with sarcasm in your special needs classes yet; this is sarcasm).

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm impressed gerry.. You were able to use such a big word all by yourself... I'll bet that you are at the top of your special needs class.

Good for you!

I see it takes very little to impress you. That explains why the limited resources and money that the oil and gas industry has actually put towards repairing the mess they have made im presses you.

A part of that money IS going towards that. I suggested that the province of AB levy a special enviro-tax on top of the oil. It will be paid by the groups that buy it and then passed along to their consumers; like you for example.

But that wasn't good enough, remember?.. You don't want to have to pay it, so I guess that your message is "to hell with the environment if it costs gerry any money"

You find me the quote where I said this and I will apologize and STFU about anything to do with the oil and gas industry. If you can't then YOU apologize and STFU about anything to do about the oil and gas industry. Deal?

the explanation of the comment in red is easy.

The furnace HVAC industry is making it far to easy for consumers to pollute the environment and kill the Earth... You guys are the pushers of bad eco-alternatives in teh world.

You ought to be ashamed.

(In case you haven't dealt with sarcasm in your special needs classes yet; this is sarcasm).

You asked a specific question that pertained specifically to me. Are you now expanding that since you didn't get the answer you expected or liked?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
So, your first bitch was that there was no reclamation going through... Now that it is on the go, it ain't fast enough for ya.

Has the eco-fringe already planned what the next flaw will be once the reclamation % hits 20, 40 and 75%?

BTW, I've been wondering lately why you and your ilk haven't made a big deal about those West Coast communities that pump millions of litres of raw sewage daily into the oceans? Are the marine eco-systems less important?

This response is far too predictable.

Fact is, unless a bunch of ducks hadn't bit the biscuit last year, Suncor and Alberta would have done nothing. And now ONE company is reclaiming land. Crack open the champagne to pour on the turtles (most of whom are not even out of the gate yet).

Sewage still disappears into the briny deeps-we think, tar sands gunk doesn't. The flavour of the hour is filthy, dirty, subsidized tar sands. One issue at a time. The eco-fringe green revolutionaries can't terminate everyone all the time everywhere. Give us a few weeks to reload.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Fact is, unless a bunch of ducks hadn't bit the biscuit last year, Suncor and Alberta would have done nothing. And now ONE company is reclaiming land. Crack open the champagne to pour on the turtles (most of whom are not even out of the gate yet).

Sewage still disappears into the briny deeps-we think, tar sands gunk doesn't. The flavour of the hour is filthy, dirty, subsidized tar sands. One issue at a time. The eco-fringe green revolutionaries can't terminate everyone all the time everywhere. Give us a few weeks to reload.

Okay, so you're thinking that somehow Suncor magically fixed the tailings pond in less than a year because it was a media issue? You might be wise to do some basic research into what's involved.

Sewage doesn't 'disappear' into the briny deeps, it pollutes the ocean.

Claims like this make the eco movement have pretty much zero credibility.

As I've said before, the oil sands industry can do better, and we should push them to improve. But I'm not going to pretend they aren't doing anything.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Okay, so you're thinking that somehow Suncor magically fixed the tailings pond in less than a year because it was a media issue? You might be wise to do some basic research into what's involved.

Sewage doesn't 'disappear' into the briny deeps, it pollutes the ocean.

Claims like this make the eco movement have pretty much zero credibility.

As I've said before, the oil sands industry can do better, and we should push them to improve. But I'm not going to pretend they aren't doing anything.

Nothing has been fixed. The tar sands no longer lives in the protective Alberta bubble and other actors are now involved and they-Suncor and their flunkies in the Alberta govt, don't like it. Because now they are losing the PR battle. Boo-hoo.

Yes, those zany eco-types have been doing their homework here.