Tar sands = filthy dirty bitumen "oil"

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I listened to much of this on the radio a few weeks back. Didn't know at the time
that it was Ezra Lavant. Tonington pointed that out. I'm looking forward to listening
to this conpletely later in the day whan time permits.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
A quick fix or a magic fix is not what the eco-greenies like me are looking for. What is being sought is a consistent effort on the part of Big Oil and the Alta govt to clean up the tar sands mess. Have we seen that yet? No.

Although it seems nowadays that the fix is in against the corporate agenda.

Man,your so ignorant,the budgets doubled to nearly 800 million for just one TRO project!

This technology will reclaim all the ponds,thats right,all the tailings ponds so you better find something else to cry about because you really dont have a clue whats being done here or the scope and size and importance of the whole TRO project.

It's #1 priority at suncor and the other mines are starting pilot projects.Money is not an issue here,they have a very big open wallet for TRO and it cant be done any faster then it is right now at this time.We get anything and i mean anything we need to keep the MFT flowing and drying and the ponds sinking..

Where's James Avatar Cameron? He'll know what to do..
He was there,it was also pointed out that the film industry creates more greenhouse gasses then the oilsands,how ironic.

Fact is, unless a bunch of ducks hadn't bit the biscuit last year, Suncor and Alberta would have done nothing. And now ONE company is reclaiming land. Crack open the champagne to pour on the turtles (most of whom are not even out of the gate yet).

Sewage still disappears into the briny deeps-we think, tar sands gunk doesn't. The flavour of the hour is filthy, dirty, subsidized tar sands. One issue at a time. The eco-fringe green revolutionaries can't terminate everyone all the time everywhere. Give us a few weeks to reload.

Funny but the technology thats used to sink your turds is also the exact same technology thats used to sink mature fine tailings useing polymer flocculent.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Filthy dirty bitumen costume!

All across the Gulf Coast and the country, the costume inspiring guffaws and flying off the shelves consists of a green jumpsuit covered in oil with BP in a sunburst logo over the left breast. The BP stands for “bad planning,” according to its creator, a Long Island company called Fun World, but only Rip Van Winkle would miss the joke.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/28/us/28costume.html?_r=2

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I love Alberta oil because it is more environmentally friendlier than taking it from the drilling platforms because they have to flame it which causes air pollution.

Oilsand is a better extract because the dirt is cleaner after extraction because they use steam.

Have you noticed that the foreign environmentalists are picking on Canada because their country is losing revenues from oil sales.

It’s all about cheap energy and the alternative fuels do not have the distribution infrastructure in place at this time and the recession is scaring off the investors at this time.

Fossil fuels is the cheapest at this time until they get a battery to last for at least a week on a charge it might change then but not now

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
No links, as usual. Big hat, no cattle.
I know firsthand what the equipment and manpower costs and were stillhiring and buying more,my company just spent over ten million on new equipment,you dont do that on a false promise of a big budget.

Take it from me and i'll bet money on it.We had a target to get over a million more tonnes by the end of this month,if we reached it the budgets doubled as that shows we can handle the production,we did.

But what do I know? I'm only working with the very top guys in the tro project at all levels.
Your just someone on a forum who will whine even louder when more reclamation gets achieved.

Plus i'm sure if you tried hard enough(try google) you would find the budget numbers right from suncor but i wont bet on it as you wouldnt even click my link explaining exactly what TRO is complete with video,just whine i didnt provide a link after i posted it a half dozen times.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It’s all about cheap energy and the alternative fuels do not have the distribution infrastructure in place at this time and the recession is scaring off the investors at this time.

Nonsense. Read and learn:
Analysis: Canada energy producers seek growth by going green | Reuters
Five midwestern states look to increase renewable energy grid | CivSource

How about this private company in the US, Standard Solar. Does 3274% growth in three years sound like investors are running?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Nonsense. Read and learn:
Analysis: Canada energy producers seek growth by going green | Reuters
Five midwestern states look to increase renewable energy grid | CivSource

How about this private company in the US, Standard Solar. Does 3274% growth in three years sound like investors are running?

For sure theres a demand for green power but what hes refferring to is distribution infrastructure which is powerlines,they cant use the existing ones for ever and the ones they do use are from the old oil club.

Plus,diesel rules the world.They dont make solar powered transport trucks or frieght trains yet.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Funny, saw this this morning, about Suncor's Pond 1

CIM Magazine September / October 2010, Volume 5 No. 6

I cant get your link to open but some info on pond 1
It took many years to achieve their surface reclamation on it,the TRO project was'nt around and has only be going for 2 years now.
TRO will take out the suspended mature fine taings from every single pond,these have allways kept reclamation to being a very long project for each pond as MTF retains water and will not release it.If you cant walk or run heavy equipment on it then you cant reclaim it.

MFT sits very near the bottom in suspension in every single pond,the TRO project takes this out by dredging,then mixes it with the polymer flocculent and spread out to dry on the beach part of the ponds as the water recedes,it is then dry in 21 days and be hauled away or used for slopeing or fill or whatever.Then the ponds can be filled with overburden,capped with topsoil and revegetated.

Theres TRO plants at pond6,pond 8,DDA pond and the south tailings ponds,the biggest one is capable of removing approx. 20,000 tonnes per day of MFT and these numbers will keep getting higher as we build more and get better and more efficient at it.Theres no shortage of money for the TRO project.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
For sure theres a demand for green power but what hes refferring to is distribution infrastructure which is powerlines,they cant use the existing ones for ever and the ones they do use are from the old oil club.

I know that...It's not just renewables that can't use the existing grid forever. The second link was...about building renewable energy grid corridors from the areas with prime energy production potential to big markets.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Stop subsidizing Big oil ..They have enough Dirty $$$...Invest in Green Energies ..The time is now to bring fair competition to the energy sector..No more excuses ...It is all doable ...The way has been cleared ...The Light is green ...So let's Go Green/Clean Tech ...;):)

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Is so called "Green Energy" ready to replace oil or coal yet. When the technology reaches that level then it is time to switch. All the money in the world will not make new technology advance any faster. There is no need to make the world suffer any more than it is by rushing what can only come with time.