Tar sands = filthy dirty bitumen "oil"

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I'd rather not use any. The stuff should have been left where nature had it rather than spread around to create messes. lol
Lots of the ore deposits border the Athabasca river so if left it would be leeching steady into it and causing major environmental damage to everything downstream anyways.Theres not much overburden to cover the deposits either so it would leech downstream in a big way just due to erosion as the bitumen is so thick in places that it will flow on it's own with a little help from gravity and natural repose is 3 to 1 slope but is ignored by something with the viscosity of bitumen.
I live with one of the geotechs and he was explaining to me how a huge arctic ice shelf/dam broke and caused a massive flood that created the terrain that makes the oilsands viable for mining and also how it scoured lots of the overburden off the deposit and it gets more technical and I'm not a geologist so I'm still in learning mode on this front.

Funny story though,i just met this geo tech and we were talking one night and he was the geo at the same remote camp I was at years ago and also knows all the same rock dudes I started with up there.I asked if he knew a certain geologist from Vancouver and he brought out a photo album with pictures of them in Nunavut,small world.
One of the other room mates had the same driller back in 1978 as I had doing exploration drilling,this driller was a good friend of mine but I lost track of him when he went to Africa and now I know where he is and am back in touch with him.
Small world indeed.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Lots of the ore deposits border the Athabasca river so if left it would be leeching steady into it and causing major environmental damage to everything downstream anyways.Theres not much overburden to cover the deposits either so it would leech downstream in a big way just due to erosion as the bitumen is so thick in places that it will flow on it's own with a little help from gravity and natural repose is 3 to 1 slope but is ignored by something with the viscosity of bitumen.
So the best thing for the planet was to dig it up and spread it around even further and at a bigger rate than it would have spread naturally?
I live with one of the geotechs and he was explaining to me how a huge arctic ice shelf/dam broke and caused a massive flood that created the terrain that makes the oilsands viable for mining and also how it scoured lots of the overburden off the deposit and it gets more technical and I'm not a geologist so I'm still in learning mode on this front.

Funny story though,i just met this geo tech and we were talking one night and he was the geo at the same remote camp I was at years ago and also knows all the same rock dudes I started with up there.I asked if he knew a certain geologist from Vancouver and he brought out a photo album with pictures of them in Nunavut,small world.
One of the other room mates had the same driller back in 1978 as I had doing exploration drilling,this driller was a good friend of mine but I lost track of him when he went to Africa and now I know where he is and am back in touch with him.
Small world indeed.
Yeah, it's really kind of neat that way.Hubby was over in a nearby town the other day and bumped into a old friend he hadn't seen for decades. lol

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
So the best thing for the planet was to dig it up and spread it around even further and at a bigger rate than it would have spread naturally?
Yeah, it's really kind of neat that way.Hubby was over in a nearby town the other day and bumped into a old friend he hadn't seen for decades. lol
It's getting more concentrated then spread out,once it's extracted you have nice clean sand left thats replanted where there would be nothing but poisonous bitumen oozing from the ground before.In another ten years you wont even be able to tell where the old tailings ponds or mined out areas were.The mined out areas do become tailings ponds when the orebody is depleted.
The tailings ponds also used to have an expectancy of 20 to 50 years before enough settlement would happen to make reclamation possible.
Right now it will be boots on the ground and balls to the wall to play catch up and get the oldest tailings ponds cleaned and reclaimed,soon they will only have the closest ones next to the pit and plant that will be used untill they move into a new area and the mined out one will then become a new tailings pond and the previous one will be dredged and reclaimed.This will keep all mining operations from ore extraction to recirculation and settlement in one smaller area.
These are huge areas that I'm talking about so it wont happen overnight but it's #1 priority right now to really push this new polymer technology and the dozers cant be built and sent fast enough or the people to operate these polymer plants cant be hired and trained fast enough at this time.
The outfit i'm working for was only going to run steady days,I have a meeting tomorrow with the big wigs to get them running 24/7 and work out how nightshifts will play out and that will double production and make them twice as much money.
Win/win all around.
The Newfys are going to hate me tomorrow though when they find out i'll have them working graveyards.:p

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It's getting more concentrated then spread out,once it's extracted you have nice clean sand left thats replanted where there would be nothing but poisonous bitumen oozing from the ground before.In another ten years you wont even be able to tell where the old tailings ponds or mined out areas were.The mined out areas do become tailings ponds when the orebody is depleted.
The tailings ponds also used to have an expectancy of 20 to 50 years before enough settlement would happen to make reclamation possible.
Right now it will be boots on the ground and balls to the wall to play catch up and get the oldest tailings ponds cleaned and reclaimed,soon they will only have the closest ones next to the pit and plant that will be used untill they move into a new area and the mined out one will then become a new tailings pond and the previous one will be dredged and reclaimed.This will keep all mining operations from ore extraction to recirculation and settlement in one smaller area.
These are huge areas that I'm talking about so it wont happen overnight but it's #1 priority right now to really push this new polymer technology and the dozers cant be built and sent fast enough or the people to operate these polymer plants cant be hired and trained fast enough at this time.
The outfit i'm working for was only going to run steady days,I have a meeting tomorrow with the big wigs to get them running 24/7 and work out how nightshifts will play out and that will double production and make them twice as much money.
Win/win all around.
The Newfys are going to hate me tomorrow though when they find out i'll have them working graveyards.:p
More concentrated? When it is dug up, taken apart (refined) so that people can use its ingredients all over the country and some of its ingredients are spewed into the air, some left in landfills, etc., it is being concentrated? Can't see it.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
More concentrated? When it is dug up, taken apart (refined) so that people can use its ingredients all over the country and some of its ingredients are spewed into the air, some left in landfills, etc., it is being concentrated? Can't see it.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction,thats nature and it's a delicate balance,if you step on an ant you have just disrupted a whole chain of events and a cycle.That's life though,not much I can do about it untill the human race learns from the indians to only take what they need and materialism wont gain you any points or make you any happier in your life.
I know lots of folks like to point fingers,i'm an Albertan so naturally I get blamed for this mess when in actuality I take a proactive approach to these things,I had nothing to do with the mess but i will have lots to do cleaning it up and it's a challenge but I love a challenge and thats what they asked when I hired on is if could accept such a big challenge.

If any blame is to be made anywhere it's to the human race for thinking they need it all and all at once,i will make a difference in what i'm doing but i'm only one guy but totally commited to doing things right in this project and it's a start right at the place the damage is being done,now if people can cut their addiction to petroleum products and reduce the demand for them then thats step 2 but I dont see this happening anytime soon in my lifetime.
People use and abuse recyclable products every day and are part of the problem,they contribute to landfills in a way that can be prevented,they have mutual funds in the oilsands yet cry about how evil they are but hey....it's going to let them retire comfortably.
The hypocrisy astounds me sometimes from the more vocal opponents of the oilsands but what's the alternative?
Middle east oil? We all know how well that worked out.
Theres literally hundreds and hundreds of new employees going through orientation here every single day for a job at one of the oilsands facilities,The tax dollars going back to keep Canada afloat are astounding,not to mention the EI dollars that dont have to be used.

Fort Mac is a boom town the likes that have never been seen in Canada before,it's putting money in the pockets of people from all over Canada and in this tough economic climate,thats a good thing because I can tell you that in central and southern Alberta,you cant buy yourself a job,only thing out there is infrastructure jobs that are possible through stimulus money,thats your tax dollars by the way.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Well i'm in fort mac and working in the oilsands in the tailings reduction department(TRO) and I can say they are going full bore on not only cleaning up the tailings with new technology but they are also reclaiming as fast as is possible useing this new technology.Now as fast as they can pump and dredge the ponds that are not being used,we can inject a polymer into the slurry and then it's spread out on a cell or field and disced with a farm implement to enable drying.We use an existing old settling pond as a field or cell to contain the mft(mine fine tailings) as its being tilled and disced by dozers and farm implements.The polymer allows the tailings to seperate from the water molecules so it will actually evaporate in about 20 days leaving a dry MFT product that is very good for road material and sells for about $15.00 a tonne.
Without the polymer injected the tailings will not evaporate and will sit for 20 years.

This is all new technology and the company Im with right now more or less inventented the technique and it will take off in all the oilsands projects.
The area i'm in right now is all sand,pure white sand after the bitumens been extracted,I see huge jumps in reclamation coming very soon as the govt. has laid down the law and there will be some huge fines levied if theres no compliance.They are very commited to reclamation also,more then anyone would ever think.

Anyone who thinks the oilsands dont contribute in a huge way to the canadian economy should visit fort mac. Allthough I sometimes think i'm in Newfoundland its a huge melting pot of people from all over the world,not just easterners.
I dont find it too expensive except maybe housing but there are lots of apartments for rent and bedroom suites starting at $600.00 a month.
I pay $650.00 for one room but it's an an $800,000 house and theres lots of room and the utilities are all paid for and i get the run of the house.
These oilsand will just keep getting bigger,lots of new projects getting approved right now along with expansions.I can see them being the producer for all of north America's petroleum needs untill a viable alternative is found or developed that can compete and be affordable.

I would like to see some articles and pictures to click on to see how the tailings ponds are being cleaned up.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
This article shows that something is being done. Whether it is enough I have no idea.

Making strides in healing the scars

Rebuilding totally destroyed wetlands has never been done successfully. All the land is strip mined to get at the bitumen. Dumping soil/sand/earth/muck back on top of mined out bitumen does not mean you will get the old wetlands back. They have damaged huge areas, they have restored very small areas.

They are spending more money, up from $15 million per year to $150 million, much thanks to the publicity from the dead ducks. There seems to be little headway regarding the toxic talings ponds.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Sorry, no good. Wonk news, not the mainstream media newspapers, radio or TV.

When was the last time you said peak oil to someone and talked about it?
I don't particularly care what you accept in terms of whether gov'ts talk about peak oil or not.That's just your own biases showing through.

okay fine, if you want to be lazy, I'll post a couple links for you but I'm not chasing around doing google searches you're perfectly capable of doing all day.

First topic up, the G8 summit...

Scientists To Bring Issue of Climate Control Back To This Year's G8

From harper's own lips in '08....

"Let me just say this. If a decline in the use of hydrocarbons is environmentally necessary, it’s important to understand that it is also going to be economically unavoidable in future decades. Indeed, the end of the era of low-cost hydrocarbons is at hand. "
Prime Minister of Canada: Prime Minister Harper addresses the Canada-U.K. Chamber of Commerce in London

*shrugs* if you haven't been hearing about these issues in the news I think you're not listening.
Exactly.

I would like to see some articles and pictures to click on to see how the tailings ponds are being cleaned up.
Come on. Kakato's posted loads of links and pics. You just choose to forget or ignore them.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I don't particularly care what you accept in terms of whether gov'ts talk about peak oil or not.That's just your own biases showing through.

Come on. Kakato's posted loads of links and pics. You just choose to forget or ignore them.

Where are his links? He is supposed to present links so me and other people, possibly new, can easily click on them, read or listen to them, and make up our minds. Sorry, he is lazy not me.

Here's an awesome link about how if the tar sands had to pay for cleaning up their pollution they might cost the same as cleaner solar, wind and tidal power.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kevin-grandia/podesta-perks-up-on-canad_b_624801.html

Kevin Grandia

Managing Editor of DeSmogBlog
Posted: June 24, 2010 05:48 PM

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/#

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/#

Top Man in Washington Slams Canada's Tar Sands

When former US President Bill Clinton went for an "unofficial" visit to North Korea to negotiate the release of two imprisoned American journalists he asked John Podesta to accompany him.

When current US President Barack Obama needed someone to head his transition into the role of president, it was John Podesta who he asked.

In other words, John Podesta is a very powerful man when it comes to US politics and while he does not speak on behalf of the Obama administration in an official capacity - he runs a major think tank called the Center for American Progress - his public statements on policy are something to pay attention to.

Last week in a speech to a group called Canada 2020, Podesta had this to say about that country's massive tar sands industry:
"As we look down this road, there are a few things it's tough not to agree on at the outset. Oil extraction from tar sands is polluting, destructive, expensive, and energy intensive. These things are facts. I think suggesting this process can come close to approximating being "greened" is largely misleading, or far too optimistic, or perhaps both. It stands alongside clean coal and error-free deepwater drilling as more PR than reality." [my emphasis]​
This is a very strong statement from an individual who's influence in Washington, DC cannot be understated. In fact, much of Podesta's speech echos recent comments made by the US president himself.

In light of what is happening in the Gulf of Mexico with millions of gallons of oil pumping uncontrollably into the ocean with devastating effects to our environment and the local economies, both Obama and Podesta know that the days of promoting dirty old forms of fuel like tar sand and coal are over.

They both also know that continuing down the dirty fuel path is bad politics.
The oil spill has awoken the public to the fact that the risk involved in these extreme extraction processes are not only hurting the environment today, but that of their children and grandchildren.

In a speech President Obama made to 300 small business owners in Pittsburgh two weeks ago, he stated that:
"But we have to acknowledge that there are inherent risks to drilling four miles beneath the surface of the Earth, and these are risks these are risks that are bound to increase the harder oil extraction becomes. We also have to acknowledge that an America run solely on fossil fuels should not be the vision we have for our children and our grandchildren."​
Look at the facts about Canada's tar sands operations, they are: tearing a path of destruction through a virgin forest the size of England, pumping millions of tons of heat-trapping greenhouses gases into the air, and forever changing our planet's climate, contaminating millions of gallons of fresh water and storing than in lakes of sludge that are considered some of the largest human-made construction projects in the world, to name a few.

In the long-term, Canada's tar sands will do more harm than the BP oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. Think about it, we watch in horror the oil being dumped into the ocean as the result of an "accident", yet we think nothing of the millions of gallons of sludge that are intentionally produced and dumped into human-made toxic lakes by the tar sands companies.
As Podesta puts it:
"As we look down this road, there are a few things it's tough not to agree on at the outset. Oil extraction from tar sands is polluting, destructive, expensive, and energy intensive. These things are facts."​
So what is to be done?

The answer is obviously complex, but pretty simple to describe: dirty fuels like tar sands and coal are only cheap to produce because governments make them cheap by not charging companies for dumping into our air and water.

Like a restaurant pays to dump their garbage at the end at the night in the bin out back, tar sands companies should rightly pay a fee for the garbage they dump into our air and water.

Only then can we compare the true costs of these dirty fuels to other forms of energy from unlimited clean sources, like wind and solar. No doubt the unlimited clean sources will win out because they will not be burdened with paying the pollution fees the dirty fuel companies will be stuck with.
But don't listen to me, listen to Obama's top guy, John Podesta:
"... even economists and national security experts agree, the benefits of transitioning away from fossil fuels towards clean, sustainable sources of energy go far beyond climate change mitigation. We have an opportunity to create millions of new jobs worldwide, deploy new sources of energy that are clean and domestically produced, and free ourselves from chasing resources that distort foreign policy priorities and drain investment away from challenges like global poverty and disease."​
Sounds like a winner to me. And with such strong words from the likes of John Podesta and President Obama it also sounds like an inevitability.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Where are his links?He is supposed to present links so me and other people, possibly new, can easily click on them, read or listen to them, and make up our minds. Sorry, he is lazy not me.
I've seen them in at least two different threads. It isn't his fault you can't find any or choose to ignore them.
(You can click on his profile and view his previous posts, you know.)
And I can't blame him for not wanting to dig out the links every time some lazy dipstick refuses to snoop for themselves.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I've seen them in at least two different threads. It isn't his fault you can't find any or choose to ignore them.
(You can click on his profile and view his previous posts, you know.)
And I can't blame him for not wanting to dig out the links every time some lazy dipstick refuses to snoop for themselves.

I want timely, brand new current threads. That's what the web is all about. Supply them or die. :wav:

If I can supply cute fun smileys, then he can supply some links. But he can't because progress is scant here. These tar sands producers get a free ride from the media. The taxes they pay are very low. The tar sands are private profit and public cost.

Here's another cool link from the Guardian newspaper about US senators dissing a natural gas pipeline to supply the tar sands to make its filthy fuel.

US politicians oppose 2,000-mile oil sands pipeline | Environment | guardian.co.uk

US politicians oppose 2,000-mile oil sands pipeline

Nearly 50 members of Congress warn State Deptartment against rubberstamping 2,000-mile tar sands pipeline as Obama insider John Podesta says fuel source "cannot be our energy future"

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

That is one and it is current. Good.

However, this is only one article and the industry needs much prodding to solve its huge talings problem. These huge tailings ponds are landfill type dams, they can burst like a water dam did in BC recently which would devastate a huge area because they are not water but a toxic chemical stew. The baby has moved from its back to its stomach but not moving yet.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Tar sands still looks a lot better than the gulf of Mexico right now. Any way you are whining at the wrong end of the spectrum. Eliminate the demand for oil and it will go away just like buggy whips and tobacco.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Tar sands still looks a lot better than the gulf of Mexico right now. Any way you are whining at the wrong end of the spectrum. Eliminate the demand for oil and it will go away just like buggy whips and tobacco.

I would prefer planning for the end of cheap oil when it occurs. Some say if peak oil hits hard, we could have a major die off of the world's population and enter a stone age. That's no fun amigo, not to mention stupid when alternative forms of energy abound and we decline to take advantage of them.

Olduvai Theory: Sliding Towards a Post-Industrial Stone Age, by Richard Duncan

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
That is one and it is current. Good.

However, this is only one article and the industry needs much prodding to solve its huge talings problem. These huge tailings ponds are landfill type dams, they can burst like a water dam did in BC recently which would devastate a huge area because they are not water but a toxic chemical stew. The baby has moved from its back to its stomach but not moving yet.
Look, I am not going to keep supplying you with up-to-date info. Here's the view from AB gov't about how soon companies have to satisfy a no fluid flow requirement on tailings effluent:
http://oilsands.alberta.ca/documents/Tailings_management.pdf

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Not likely: oil and hydrocarbon based products are too instrinsic to our society for them to vanish. In terms of an energy source and even as a building material, yes it should be possible to develop some type of replacement, but we have a long way to go to come up with replacement(s) and its uses for things like fertilizers will mandate its use even after. Most people have no concept of how many petrochemical based products are in and impacting their daily lives. They only way they wouldn't is if you were essentially limiting yourself to 19th century technology.