Swiss to Ban Minarets

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yes, m'lord.

Nevertheless, it is interesting how some people are more threatened by architecture than by weapons.
Terrible spin.
But, anyway, a kirpan can affect how many? A few people in the immediate neighborhood. How many people can be affected by a symbol of religious political power? Anyone who knows it is there.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I find it interesting that the same people who agree that the Swiss have the right to ban architecture (on religious grounds), also agree that Canada cannot ban carrying concealed weapons into public places (for certain special groups, on religious grounds).

I agree the Swiss have the right to ban anything they want and I'm terrified of guns.

Yes, m'lord.

Nevertheless, it is interesting how some people are more threatened by architecture than by weapons.

WRONG. Virtually every able-male adult Swiss citizen owns a gun.

My host family had guns as did every house with a male adult in the household.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Andem, TP's just trying to sidetrack the thread into the thing about Sikhs carrying kirpans. No worries. :)

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Andem, TP's just trying to sidetrack the thread into the thing about Sikhs carrying kirpans. No worries. :)

Actually, I find the contrast interesting, because here we have some people trying to ban architecture as a way of clamping down on religion, supported by the same people who bend over backwards to support religious freedom in other ways.

It's a funny contrast, but I understand that many people here don't grasp the similarities, only the differences. The justifications for the differences are silly, but if people keep repeating them, they can easily believe them.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Actually, I find the contrast interesting, because here we have some people trying to ban architecture as a way of clamping down on religion, supported by the same people who bend over backwards to support religious freedom in other ways.

It's a funny contrast, but I understand that many people here don't grasp the similarities, only the differences. The justifications for the differences are silly, but if people keep repeating them, they can easily believe them.
The similarities aren't that strong. I saw your point a long time ago. But, it's also funny that people can't see the difference between the importance of a building and that of a kirpan.
Let the Sikhs build a temple at the Olys then and let Muslims have weapons in Switze, oh wait, Muslims can already have guns in Switzerland.
The Sikhs can always glue the kirpans into their sheaths. What can the Muslims do in Switzerland? Build their mosques without the minarets.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

The difference is a fundamental one, TenPenny, not superficial. It probably says in the Sikh Holy Book, Granth Sahib, that Sikhs must wear kirpan at all times (at least I assume it does).

Minaret is simply architectural feature, nothing more. Same as the MacDonald arch. Telling Sikhs not to wear the kirpan would be tantamount to telling Christians not to have the cross in their Church, or telling Hindus that they must not have any statues, images of God in their temple.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Either way, whether Canadians are hypocratic or not has nothing to do with the Swiss making the decision to refuse the building of minarets. TP is simply trying to sidetrack the thread. Everyone's a hypocrite sometime. Not a big deal.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The difference is a fundamental one, TenPenny, not superficial. It probably says in the Sikh Holy Book, Granth Sahib, that Sikhs must wear kirpan at all times (at least I assume it does).

But you don't know.
Minaret is simply architectural feature, nothing more. Same as the MacDonald arch. Telling Sikhs not to wear the kirpan would be tantamount to telling Christians not to have the cross in their Church, or telling Hindus that they must not have any statues, images of God in their temple.

But, as you've said, you don't actually know what you are talking about, it's all your opinion. Anecdotal by your own admission, and therefore, according to you, worthless.

That said, why is an architectural feature so threatening?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
But you don't know.

But, as you've said, you don't actually know what you are talking about, it's all your opinion. Anecdotal by your own admission, and therefore, according to you, worthless.

That said, why is an architectural feature so threatening?

That doesn’t make sense, TenPenny. What is anecdotal? That kirpan is an essential part of Sikh religion is anecdotal? That minaret is not an integral part of Islam is anecdotal? Where does exactly ‘anecdotal’ come in here? What statistics would you look to, if you think this is anecdotal?

You seem to have the same attitude as the caterpillar in Through the Looking Glass (at least I think it was the caterpillar). If I may paraphrase him (I don’t recall the exact words)

:”The question my dear is, who is the master. When I use a word, it means precisely what I want it to mean, and not what it wants to mean.”

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
That doesn’t make sense, TenPenny. What is anecdotal? That kirpan is an essential part of Sikh religion is anecdotal? That minaret is not an integral part of Islam is anecdotal? Where does exactly ‘anecdotal’ come in here? What statistics would you look to, if you think this is anecdotal?

You seem to have the same attitude as the caterpillar in Through the Looking Glass (at least I think it was the caterpillar). If I may paraphrase him (I don’t recall the exact words)

:”The question my dear is, who is the master. When I use a word, it means precisely what I want it to mean, and not what it wants to mean.”

Hey, you are the one who claims you don't know if either of those items are actually mentioned in their holy books.

If you say you don't know what you're talking about, I'm certainly not going to argue.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Hey, you are the one who claims you don't know if either of those items are actually mentioned in their holy books.

If you say you don't know what you're talking about, I'm certainly not going to argue.

I don’t know of it firsthand in the sense that I haven’t read the Granth Sahib. But that is what I read in the news items when they were discussing the policy of letting Sikhs carry kirpan into Olympic Stadium. I remember reading in the news that kirpan, turban (and three other ‘k’s) are an integral part of the Sikh religion.

I have no reason to doubt them.

As to the minarets, are you serious? Do you really expect me to prove to you that Minarets are not mentioned in the Koran (in relation to mosques)? If that is what you expect, then you are right, there is no point in arguing.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I don’t know of it firsthand in the sense that I haven’t read the Granth Sahib. But that is what I read in the news items when they were discussing the policy of letting Sikhs carry kirpan into Olympic Stadium. I remember reading in the news that kirpan, turban (and three other ‘k’s) are an integral part of the Sikh religion.

I have no reason to doubt them.

As to the minarets, are you serious? Do you really expect me to prove to you that Minarets are not mentioned in the Koran (in relation to mosques)? If that is what you expect, then you are right, there is no point in arguing.

I think I hear a vacuum.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I was trying to find out why it is so important to support extremist right wing Swiss nutcases who are afraid of steeples.
Oh, well, in that case, the Swiss had a referendum and decided what they wanted. That's the idea of democracy.
We didn't have that choice so the powers that be decided for us and the cops came up with a solution. Some of us are fine with that solution, some aren't. In Switzerland, apparently almost everyone was happy with the way their decision went. IMO, they didn't even need to supply a reason. They are differrent from us. They don't claim to be secular but are. We claim to be secular but aren't; we recognize any and all religions and let it interfere with government. Now if Canada said it didn't want minarets, we'd have a scrap on our hands because we should then have to ban churches, and other forms of buildings from having minarets, crosses, etc.
Besides, here we can argue on one side one minute and then the other the next and still be run by oligarvchy which does whatever it wants anyway. There, they have a direct democracy.
Personally, if Canada didn't want minarets and ran a referendum, I'd say let them build minarets.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Nonsense, Muslims are just ordinary people struggling to get by just like the rest of us mortals.

Yup, just ordinary people who think nothing of strapping on a bomb and going off to school or work to blow some people up. Yeah, real ordinary people. What a belief.

Last edited:

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I was trying to find out why it is so important to support extremist right wing Swiss nutcases who are afraid of steeples.

That's absurd.

The real reason why the Swiss have voted against allowing foreigners from building minarets is because they simply don't want that type of foreigner in their country. It's simply and it's non-PC. Wonderful.

I wonder what would happen in Canada if Canadians from pre-mass-immigration era were asked whether or not immigration should be limited to say 10,000 from the current 300,000. I'm sure Canada would never have seen the rise in crime and the utterly absurd and draconian political correctness which has been implemented. Canada is like a little apartheid state; everyone except for whites receive special privileges now.

If something doesn't change, Canada's culture and way of life will become extinct in 30-40 years because the people were never given a voice on what is happening in their country.

Does Switzerland want to turn into Canada? No way, no how!

Anyone of you PC ***holes who think you're an intelligent and upstanding individual: Think again. Unless you're a communist, you're nothing more than brainwashed by the ruling elite. PC; an idea and brainwashing technique originally developed in the Soviet Union and under Mao in China.