Swiss to Ban Minarets

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I wonder what would happen in Canada if Canadians from pre-mass-immigration era were asked whether or not immigration should be limited to say 10,000 from the current 300,000. I'm sure Canada would never have seen the rise in crime and the utterly absurd and draconian political correctness which has been implemented. Canada is like a little apartheid state; everyone except for whites receive special privileges now.

Crime rates in Canada are down, and are much less than those in the States. It could be the changing demographic.
CBC News - Canada - Canada's crime rate lowest in 25 years: StatsCan report

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Crime rates in Canada are down, and are much less than those in the States. It could be the changing demographic.
CBC News - Canada - Canada's crime rate lowest in 25 years: StatsCan report

Quite right Spade, I don’t know how this canard keeps spreading, that crime rate in Canada is high and is climbing. Canada does very well by world standards. By world standards, Canada is a very safe place, and the crime rate is dropping. That is why I always say anecdotal evidence is the worst kind of evidence.

Sometimes it can be useful. For instance if you are thinking of moving to a particular area of the city, it helps to talk to the residents there and see what they think of the area. But drawing any kind of general conclusion, anecdotal evidence is worthless. Statistics after statistics show us that crime rate in Canada is low and dropping.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
From 1977 to 2006, the total rate of both violent and property crime declined from 5,039 to 4,539 incidents per 100,000 Canadians. The rate rose between 1977 and 1982 and again after 1989, peaking in 1991 at 7,220, and declining after that point, reaching its lowest level in almost 30 years in 2006.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
You Westerners!

(A meaningless post without the chart showing more violent crimes in the West/North than in the Atlantic region. It won't copy/paste)

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Congrats to the heat.... The waits for Court time wouldn't indicate any drop ...or maybe it's just lawyers padding the books for bigger bucks. Hmm, isn't that a crime too?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A few years ago my wife and I spent a night in a hotel in Istanbul at the end of a Greek cruise. It had been a warm night and we had the windows wide open. At 6:am the most God awful racket started as the daily call to prayer began in every mosque in the city. A man was up in every minaret in every mosque in the city singing his praises at the top of his lungs. No sleep after that. Could it be that the Swiss just want to sleep past six in the morning?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I grew up in a small Central Ontario town where if the Church bell rang at any other time than Sunday morning, there was a fire somewhere or an air raid pending. Much closer to this end of life, I moved into a small Northern Ontario town where the Church across the street dinged its bells for weddings, funerals, because the sun rose ... all the time. Yeah, it's easy for me to understand how caterwailing akin to a Ray Stevens song at 6 in the morning might be a tad hard to sleep through

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Yup, just ordinary people who think nothing of strapping on a bomb and going off to school or work to blow some people up. Yeah, real ordinary people. What a belief.

Wow, you must live in a tough neighbourhood! My Christian, Moslem, Buddhist, Hindu, and yes Jewish and Agnostic neighbours are all peace-loving Canucks! The flashing Xmas lights are a tad annoying though!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The police pad statistics with misdemeanors so they can justify hiring more cops. It is no different than any other bureaucratic organization. It is call empire building.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
A few years ago my wife and I spent a night in a hotel in Istanbul at the end of a Greek cruise. It had been a warm night and we had the windows wide open. At 6:am the most God awful racket started as the daily call to prayer began in every mosque in the city. A man was up in every minaret in every mosque in the city singing his praises at the top of his lungs. No sleep after that. Could it be that the Swiss just want to sleep past six in the morning?

lol I was thinking that same thing this morning while my Mum was singing one of her fave hymns. lol She finished for a breather and I started singing "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and threw a couch cushion at her. I told her a long time ago I am agnostic. lol

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think it sounds really cool, but not at 6 AM. I like quietude when I get up.

Last edited: