Swiss to Ban Minarets

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
six AM is the middle of the morning for christ sake all adults should be on their second large coffee and at least one joint by that hour, where the hell is your work ethic people?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
six AM is the middle of the morning for christ sake all adults should be on their second large coffee and at least one joint by that hour, where the hell is your work ethic people?
There's no time-clocks to punch your ethics cards into, folks.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
You Westerners!

(A meaningless post without the chart showing more violent crimes in the West/North than in the Atlantic region. It won't copy/paste)

There is no need for a chart, TenPenny. Some areas of the west, some areas in BC, Saskatchewan etc. are notorious for its high level of crime. Toronto, whom many regard as the main culprit when it comes to crime, has a pretty low crime rate by comparison.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
A few years ago my wife and I spent a night in a hotel in Istanbul at the end of a Greek cruise. It had been a warm night and we had the windows wide open. At 6:am the most God awful racket started as the daily call to prayer began in every mosque in the city. A man was up in every minaret in every mosque in the city singing his praises at the top of his lungs. No sleep after that. Could it be that the Swiss just want to sleep past six in the morning?

Minarets and call to prayer are two totally different things, juan. They don’t need minarets to issue call to prayers. Anyway, Swiss won’t be able to ban any call to prayers by banning minarets, Muslims can simply use a microphone and blare it all over the city.

If Swiss do not want to be disturbed first thing in the morning, they will have to ban the call to prayer. Anyway, isn’t call to prayer banned in most Canadian cities? One does not hear any call to prayer at 5 or 6 a.m. in any Canadian city. If Muslims could, I am sure they would give an early morning call to prayers.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
There is no need for a chart, TenPenny. Some areas of the west, some areas in BC, Saskatchewan etc. are notorious for its high level of crime. Toronto, whom many regard as the main culprit when it comes to crime, has a pretty low crime rate by comparison.

Anecdotal - please provide proof!

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Anecdotal - please provide proof!

Ontario has the lowest crime rate in Canada, Quebec is second lowest. SK has the highest (leaving out NWT and YT, the population there is so small that it is not really significant).

Among the cities, Saskatoon has the highest crime rate, followed by Regina. However, the crime rate is dropping all over Canada.

Crime in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If we look at murder rate alone, Port Coquitlam, B.C is the worst, followed by Edmonton, Winnipeg and Saskatoon (all in the West). Toronto comes no. 9. Indeed, there is no Ontario city in the first eight.

The Most Dangerous Cities in Canada: Murder rate - Canada - Macleans.ca

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I thought the Swiss vote was based on a real concern about minarets bristling on every street corner. Turns out there are only four (4) in the entire country, with only two (2) planned. Click here.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I think if the Swiss are going to ban Minarets, we should ban Clorets.

And Swiss chocolates, watches, yodeling, and Riiiiiicola.
I thought Riiiiicola was a call to to prayer from a Swiss minaret, but that can't be right since there are only four (4) in all off Switzerland.
PS
Sorry about using Arabic numerals a second (2nd) time, but it was only for emphasis. I wonder what the Swiss will use when the spreading paranoia reaches the mathematics classroom?

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Minarets and call to prayer are two totally different things, juan. They don’t need minarets to issue call to prayers. Anyway, Swiss won’t be able to ban any call to prayers by banning minarets, Muslims can simply use a microphone and blare it all over the city.

If Swiss do not want to be disturbed first thing in the morning, they will have to ban the call to prayer. Anyway, isn’t call to prayer banned in most Canadian cities? One does not hear any call to prayer at 5 or 6 a.m. in any Canadian city. If Muslims could, I am sure they would give an early morning call to prayers.

It is bad enough that we have to put up with the Jehovah's Witnesses but they at least are not unpleasantly noisy.
Btw, in an earlier post I talked about staying in the Embassador Hotel in Istanbul which is very close to the famous Blue Mosque. The loud "singers" I complained about were somewhere high in the mosque.....I thought they were in the minarets.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
It is bad enough that we have to put up with the Jehovah's Witnesses but they at least are not unpleasantly noisy.
Btw, in an earlier post I talked about staying in the Embassador Hotel in Istanbul which is very close to the famous Blue Mosque. The laud "singers" I complained about were somewhere high in the mosque.....I thought they were in the minarets.

The Minarets? Wasn't that a rock band from the 60s?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I thought the Swiss vote was based on a real concern about minarets bristling on every street corner. Turns out there are only four (4) in the entire country, with only two (2) planned. Click here.

Spade, the point here is not whether the Swiss decision makes sense, maybe it doesn’t. But the important thing here is that they are not infringing upon any religious freedoms by this decision. Short of that, if they want to take a nonsense, absurd decision, that is an internal affair and not really anybody’s business.

Indeed, there are many absurd, unjust practices in many countries. Perhaps we may not approve of them, but that is their internal affair, and they do not rise to the level of violation of human right, basic freedoms etc. Spain’s bullfighting comes to mind. I think it is a barbaric practice, and I would like to see them ban it. However, seeing that it doesn’t violate nay of the basic freedoms (freedom of speech, freedom for press, freedom of religion, the right to vote etc.) it is Spain’s internal affair.

This decision by the Swiss is no different.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Btw, in an earlier post I talked about staying in the Embassador Hotel in Istanbul which is very close to the famous Blue Mosque. The loud "singers" I complained about were somewhere high in the mosque.....I thought they were in the minarets.

Some mosques do indeed use the minarets to issue call to prayers. But others simply use a microphone and a loudspeaker. Not all the mosques that have minarets use it to issue call to prayer.

Incidentally, just yesterday I was driving and I saw a mosque without a minaret on top. So a minaret is not a must with the Muslims.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Spade, the point here is not whether the Swiss decision makes sense, maybe it doesn’t. But the important thing here is that they are not infringing upon any religious freedoms by this decision. Short of that, if they want to take a nonsense, absurd decision, that is an internal affair and not really anybody’s business..

The decision by the Swiss is symbolic of a growth of intolerance towards minorities in Europe. It is the Swiss decision to ban minarets; it is mine to criticize them. I do agree with Andem that Switzerland is more democratic than most European nations (including Britain); that's why I find it somewhat unsettling.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
As lousy as it is, intolerance is the natural side effect of losing ones identity. European lordships, kingdoms, militant acreages date back millennia. Two world wars and a European union have blurred boundaries and all but erased cultures. Moslems are the new kids on the block - and old adversaries to a Faith imposed on Europeans. Rightly, they should be the ones doing the adapting.