Quebec to curtail religion in public daycares

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
83% of Quebecers are considered Roman Catholic. About 5% are Protestant. 5% is said to be of ''no religion''. The rest is distributed among all the other religions with Muslims getting 1,52% and Jews getting 1.26%.

The problem with these stats is that among the 83% who are Roman Catholic, only a minority of these folks actually practise religion. A good majority would actually be of ''no religion''. I myself would be considered Roman Catholic according to stats (I am baptized) but in practise I am not.

In terms of this discussion, this "problem" is crucial... In the event that 83% are RC, then eliminating a culturally relevant component acts in a manner that doesn't represent the majority. .. In the event that only a few % are practicing, then the stats are unfairly skewed to over-represent one specific group at the expense of the others.

I am no fan of statistics for a couple of reasons.... The #'s can be easily manipulated to suit an agenda and the raw data can also be manipulated (all accidental-like) to generate a pre-conceived result.

In this case, it makes little sense for anyone to say that 83% of the pop is RC, but the majority aren't RC enough to practice or want the principles applied.

The poll concerns religion and education and more precisely the new course given in all public schools called ''Éthique et culture religieuse'' (Ethics and religious culture).

At some point, we have to determine if daycare is considered education. Also, is the daycare "system" funded by the Quebec ministry of Education?

Returning to the topic; as I mentioned before this is really about the secularization of Quebec's educational system. Comments by others to the contrary most daycare establishments do contain a strong educational component.

Is the daycare system funded by the Ministry of Education?

Currently due to government funding Quebec has the most comprehensive daycare system in Canada. What this is all about is making sure that various religious interests do not turn the daycare system into an extension of their religious beliefs. You may or may not agree with this position, but essentially that is what is happening.

Quebec's daycare system is fueled by transfer payments from other provinces.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
At some point, we have to determine if daycare is considered education. Also, is the daycare "system" funded by the Quebec ministry of Education?

Is the daycare system funded by the Ministry of Education?

I think the daycare system is funded by the ministry of Family and Childhood. And I'd say daycare in Quebec is widely viewed as a prelude to education. One thing is clear, the kids learn how to function in a group environment and are well prepared for kindergarden in that regard. I'm not saying day care is necessary, just that it's good preparation.

While day cares are mostly funded by public money (the parents pay 7$ a day), they remain relatively independent and quality will vary from place to place in the same way the quality will vary from school to school in any public school system.

Because I've been working in the daycare environment for the last couple a years, I can confirm that there is education and not only nurturing going on there. Kids get to work on their social and cognitive skills in organized activities. Nothing a parent at home can't do. That's not my point. All I'm saying is that education starts way before kindergarden and that I believe that most daycares at least adequately fulfil this need.

Quebec's daycare system is fueled by transfer payments from other provinces.

Oh come on... because Quebec receives equalization payments, you could say that of every program in Quebec. But the fact is that Quebecers pay a lot of taxes to the Quebec government and most of Quebec's programs are payed by Quebecers.

And what are you implying, that provinces who receive equalization payments should be dictated what to do with it?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Ah, yes, that explains it.

One of the few Presidents to be in office while suffering from Alzheimers. I guess for that reason alone, people shouldn't poke fun at him.

If you want to see the definition of moral depravity and you don't find it in a conventional dictionary, just read the above post by TenPenny.

Real courageous to attack a man who is not there to defend himself. Not that he ever needed to. He was used, all his life, to deal with disgusting, slimy, slippery slugs.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
If you want to see the definition of moral depravity and you don't find it in a conventional dictionary, just read the above post by TenPenny.

Real courageous to attack a man who is not there to defend himself. Not that he ever needed to. He was used, all his life, to deal with disgusting, slimy, slippery slugs.

YJ, that's quite a statement coming from one of the most insulting people on this forum. You rise up to a huge show of indignation when one of your idols is challenged, yet you dump the insults freely on everyone and everything else.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
YJ, that's quite a statement coming from one of the most insulting people on this forum. You rise up to a huge show of indignation when one of your idols is challenged, yet you dump the insults freely on everyone and everything else.

TenPenny, I just call them as I sees them. As for most insulting, it does not have to be strictly personal. As you and many others of your ilk should (but don't) know.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
TenPenny, I just call them as I sees them. As for most insulting, it does not have to be strictly personal. As you and many others of your ilk should (but don't) know.

I didn't realize that I had an ilk. We have deer in the backyard, perhaps that's what you mean?

As for calling them as you see them, cataract surgery might help.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
TenPenny, your less than OnePenny opinions mean nothing to me.

Like I said to Cannuck on another thread, you are not worth a second of my time.

I will not put you on "IGNORE", because your posts are always good for a chuckle.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
TenPenny, your less than OnePenny opinions mean nothing to me.
If that were true, you'd hardly waste time getting upset by them, would you?
Like I said to Cannuck on another thread, you are not worth a second of my time.
and if this were true, you wouldn't respond. However, you keep doing so, therefore one can only conclude that I am, for whatever reason, an important part of your life.