Electoral Member
May 12, 2008
Toronto, Canada

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Unreasonable hate has no bounds.

As displayed by referring to the President who brought the Evil Empire to its knees as Raygun.

That is not only disrespectful, it is also stupid, and a piss poor attempt of a pun.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

As displayed by referring to the President who brought the Evil Empire to its knees as Raygun.

That is not only disrespectful, it is also stupid, and a piss poor attempt of a pun.
Ronny Raygun did not bring down the USSR, they did. Raygun is what we called him (because of the failed star wars satilite fiasco) when he was in office and I see no reason to change that now.

It is disrespectful to say someone is stupid, Jack. And I was not making a pun. The guy played second fiddle to a chimp, Jack.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
"Multiculturalism" comes with a lot of baggage and severing one component (religion) is regressive in terms of boasting about being multicultural. It sends the message that we (Canada) promote multiculturalism, but only if it doesn't involve religion... Pretty hollow words when it's put that way, isn't it?

However, if you want a more tangible argument, the non-secular population contributes equally into the tax base... Is it not "fair" that this group should have equal representation from the gvt services sector?

PS - Don't look it as "blaming" the leftards... Look it as accurately identifying the political ideology that initiated this failed policy.

Hmm leftards.... Rightards has a much more comfortable fit to it. Thanks for the inspiration, CM.

In any case this has nothing to do with multiculturalism. You may not have noted it, but the government of Quebec doesn't really give a dam about multiculturalism; that seems to be a federal priority. What is does have to do with from the Quebec government's point of view is refusing to promote a religion's agenda with government cash. This is really a continuation of the struggle between the secular government of Quebec and the Catholic Church regarding the control of education. Since many daycare centres in Quebec also provide basic education or are even part of educational institutions this is just one more event in that battle. It took the government of Quebec several decades to wrestle control of the school system away from the Catholic Church. Adding government funded daycare centres to that is simply another step in the secularization of all educational facilities.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What westerners do not understand is that until the sixties, the church purposely kept the French under educated. As my ex said, she and her classmates, were told by the nuns that they were "meant for small bread." The backlash has been to very decisively move away from the church. Also, they were kept slaves of the church through the doctrine of no sex without procreation. They had huge families and were kept in perpetual poverty on threat of hell and/or excommunication. Notice the similarities to Latin countries?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Are you actually saying that insulting a President is disrespecful?

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
"Multiculturalism" comes with a lot of baggage and severing one component (religion) is regressive in terms of boasting about being multicultural. It sends the message that we (Canada) promote multiculturalism, but only if it doesn't involve religion... Pretty hollow words when it's put that way, isn't it?

No religion is being severed. Secularism is precisely the system in which all religions can coexist peacefully and treated on equal terms. There's nothing complicated about it. Religion belongs to the private sphere, not the public.

However, if you want a more tangible argument, the non-secular population contributes equally into the tax base... Is it not "fair" that this group should have equal representation from the gvt services sector?

As I already said in another post, being religious and secular are not mutually exclusive. You can very well have faith in both your God and the value of secularism. This fact trims down the ''non-secular'' slice of population pretty narrowly.

The truly non secular folks who are left do pay the same taxes as anybody else, but they get the same government services as anybody else. If the public system had to follow the will of every single individual, we'd never achieve anything.

Here are a few simple facts to remember:

1. An overwhelmingly strong majority of Quebecers are fully secular. Thus this measure is met with wide spread approval.

2. No one is being stopped to practise to religion.

3. Religious daycares can still exist, they just won't get anymore public money.

4. Children don't need religion to develop a proper sense of morality.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Hmm leftards.... Rightards has a much more comfortable fit to it. Thanks for the inspiration, CM.

In any case this has nothing to do with multiculturalism. You may not have noted it, but the government of Quebec doesn't really give a dam about multiculturalism; that seems to be a federal priority. What is does have to do with from the Quebec government's point of view is refusing to promote a religion's agenda with government cash. This is really a continuation of the struggle between the secular government of Quebec and the Catholic Church regarding the control of education. Since many daycare centres in Quebec also provide basic education or are even part of educational institutions this is just one more event in that battle. It took the government of Quebec several decades to wrestle control of the school system away from the Catholic Church. Adding government funded daycare centres to that is simply another step in the secularization of all educational facilities.

Glad you experienced some inspiration, you can turbo-charge that feeling by reading-up on St. Pierre.. That ought to fill you sails with all kinds of wind.

In terms of your post... I don't (fully) disagree, however, there are a couple of issues.

First, daycare is considered "the education system" about as much as kid watching Barney is.... Daycare is exactly that - daycare. Applying the education system policy doesn't cut it regardless if it is gvt subsidized. Second, your post does not address the elements of the individual interests of the taxpayer in the provision of services that accommodate their individual culture(s), and yes, that includes religion.

The truly non secular folks who are left do pay the same taxes as anybody else, but they get the same government services as anybody else. If the public system had to follow the will of every single individual, we'd never achieve anything.

It would be very interesting to see the demographic breakdown on Quebec society/culture and consider the numbers... In the end, I can appreciate your comments, however, one could also make the argument (pending the population demographics) that there is the potential that the non-secular population is subsidizing the secular population.

Just a thought.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Ronny Raygun did not bring down the USSR, they did. Raygun is what we called him (because of the failed star wars satilite fiasco) when he was in office and I see no reason to change that now.

It is disrespectful to say someone is stupid, Jack. And I was not making a pun. The guy played second fiddle to a chimp, Jack.
Without religion we would have no source to reference our history. By the way Ronnie brought down the USSR and kept you in the bush. By the way if I'm not mistaken we destroyed a satellite with a missile while Reagan was President. He started the Star Wars program that we now have. Oh ya some think it was stopped. Nope, not then not now. I won't call anyone stupid either.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg

I did not call YOU stupid, Cliffy. I called stupid the left-wing mantra that you so willingly and happily repeated. And I know fully well that for the same reason "Raygun" would not be a pun that you may have dreamt up.

Could you play third fiddle to an amoeba?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I also thought that Reagan pushed for a bit less exact version of the GPS navigational system for civilian use that we now enjoy today.....a system that was used quite effectively in "Desert storm" and other encounters synce....if that's not a star wars system..........

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
It would be very interesting to see the demographic breakdown on Quebec society/culture and consider the numbers... In the end, I can appreciate your comments, however, one could also make the argument (pending the population demographics) that there is the potential that the non-secular population is subsidizing the secular population.

Just a thought.

According to this,

Demographics of Quebec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

83% of Quebecers are considered Roman Catholic. About 5% are Protestant. 5% is said to be of ''no religion''. The rest is distributed among all the other religions with Muslims getting 1,52% and Jews getting 1.26%.

The problem with these stats is that among the 83% who are Roman Catholic, only a minority of these folks actually practise religion. A good majority would actually be of ''no religion''. I myself would be considered Roman Catholic according to stats (I am baptized) but in practise I am not.

Here's an article from Le Devoir (a serious francophone newspaper), giving results of poll made in september 2008.

http://www.ledevoir.com/societe/eth...preferent-un-enseignement-religieux-a-l-ecole

The poll concerns religion and education and more precisely the new course given in all public schools called ''Éthique et culture religieuse'' (Ethics and religious culture).

52% Of Quebecers said it was preferable for children to follow this course until the end of high school. 29% said it was preferable for to completely evacuate religion from schools, meaning you don't even talk about it. And then 16% preferred a traditional religious instruction in school.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Without religion we would have no source to reference our history. By the way Ronnie brought down the USSR and kept you in the bush. By the way if I'm not mistaken we destroyed a satellite with a missile while Reagan was President. He started the Star Wars program that we now have. Oh ya some think it was stopped. Nope, not then not now. I won't call anyone stupid either.
The USSR self destructed economically (just like the US is doing). Ronny just happened to be in office at the time. The original star wars system had lasers that would have burned all life from the planet had they ever been fired. Oh, and yes, the present system can read our license plates from space but they can't find bin Laden.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ah, yes, that explains it.

One of the few Presidents to be in office while suffering from Alzheimers. I guess for that reason alone, people shouldn't poke fun at him.

Yeah, he probably had more smarts when he had Alzheimers than any U.S. President since. :smile:

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
The USSR self destructed economically (just like the US is doing). Ronny just happened to be in office at the time. The original star wars system had lasers that would have burned all life from the planet had they ever been fired. Oh, and yes, the present system can read our license plates from space but they can't find bin Laden.

There ya got me there, always wondered why "The Dog" (bounty hunter) didn't take on the bin Laden hunt. :)

...and that satellite was brought down in 2008 (for whatever it has to do with daycare in Quebec)
Spying??? :)

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
How the hell do we end up talking about Ronald Reagan's accomplishments (or the lack of them) in a thread about Quebec daycare?

Returning to the topic; as I mentioned before this is really about the secularization of Quebec's educational system. Comments by others to the contrary most daycare establishments do contain a strong educational component. When religion is included as part of that component the instruction takes on a completely different slant. Various governments of Quebec have been trying to wrest control of the educational system from religious establishments for almost 50 years. This is just one more step. Currently due to government funding Quebec has the most comprehensive daycare system in Canada. What this is all about is making sure that various religious interests do not turn the daycare system into an extension of their religious beliefs. You may or may not agree with this position, but essentially that is what is happening.