Quebec to curtail religion in public daycares

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM, I am sorry if I ruined your whole week, but since I detected an occasional decency and fairness in your posts (even when we happen to disagree) I did not think that you were worthy of being in that group. If you take that as an insult, I am sorry. But if you take that as I mean it, maybe we can work together in the future.

Yeah, there was a little tongue in cheek there, Y.J. While I may agree with your assessment of some of the group you mentioned, I thought you were unfair with two of them.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Many religious run schools are still publicly funded.
I don't know about the other provinces but in Ontario, when yo pay your municipal taxes yo have a choice to put down "Public school supporter" or "separate school supporter" then the ratio of the portion of municipal taxes going to schools of your choice is matched by the province.
A lot of people disagree with that, but.............

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I don't know about the other provinces but in Ontario, when yo pay your municipal taxes yo have a choice to put down "Public school supporter" or "separate school supporter" then the ratio of the portion of municipal taxes going to schools of your choice is matched by the province.
A lot of people disagree with that, but.............

That's the way it works here in Alberta also. Seems to work fine.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
If they had of stated that they were banning Islam in the pre-schools everyone would have cheered. I have a feeling that was their intent. It seems odd that the hardcore RCs of PQ remained silent unless they were wiling to make a sacrifice.

That is precisely how the intent of this regulation is being reported - as a move to restrict public funding of Moslem and jewish proselytizing in large and ethnically diverse centres such as Montreal.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Sorry, they were, as usual, fair with me. YEAH!

While you are most astute and observant, I'm not sure you have the ability to "read" people that I do.............you pay too much attention to a lot of banter. Also remember "one size doesn't fit all". :smile:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This actually goes back to the debate that religion is the only source of morals and that
if there is no religion people will become immoral. Worse yet they will not develop a
grasp of moral etiquette growing up. Nonsense, one look at all those preachers, priests
and imams and God knows what else behaving badly. There are all kinds of people who
have never prayed to anything that are moral upstanding citizens. There are also a lot of
good devout religious people who live their faith and are not demanding or abusive to
anyone.
What I don't like about the school system is we have several different education systems
all being taught as absolute truth when none of them are. The religious schools that teach
the world is six thousand years old, and man walked with..... well you know what that is all
about. Then there are those who teach only the mere facts of chance that are really a series
of theories because the truth is unknown. The problem is, both are theories, and they have
come about because during the dark ages, those who were scientists and thinkers and
people of different views were murdered, burned at the stake, hanged, drawn and quartered,
and drowned by people who took over from a world of sinners. All knowledge was quietly
tucked away in the vaults of the religious world. Illiteracy was encouraged, and total governance
was imposed on the citizens. The reason you have so many non believers today and those who
oppose the churches, came about because the churches misused their powers and privileges.
What is that old saying what goes round comes round.
For those who are wondering what this means, I believe there are some faiths that can get around
the law while stifling the Muslims. Like it or not, we as a society are on a collision course between
secularism and religion and that day is not that far off. In my view, there is polarization on this and
every other issue in society and a peaceful conclusion appears to be a long way off.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Cliffy, it is beyond insulting that you would term it child abuse. You've clearly never seen child abuse if you think religious instruction amounts to the same.
Karrie, I was born and raised in the Catholic Church. I was even an alter boy in grade 4. It took me almost 40 years to over come the indoctrination into the guilt cult that I was exposed to. The psychological and emotional damage caused me to attempt suicide in my teens and twenties and to completely reject god as a psychopathic lunatic. After decades of therapy and studying phychology, spirituality and philosophy, I can now say that I am happy that I was born, am guilt free and am not afraid of my creator. I think I have earned my right to feel the way I do about religion. How others feel about it is their business, but brainwashing is my opinion on the subject and I have earned the right to it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This actually goes back to the debate that religion is the only source of morals and that
if there is no religion people will become immoral. Worse yet they will not develop a
grasp of moral etiquette growing up. Nonsense, one look at all those preachers, priests
and imams and God knows what else behaving badly. There are all kinds of people who
have never prayed to anything that are moral upstanding citizens. There are also a lot of
good devout religious people who live their faith and are not demanding or abusive to
anyone.
What I don't like about the school system is we have several different education systems
all being taught as absolute truth when none of them are. The religious schools that teach
the world is six thousand years old, and man walked with..... well you know what that is all
about. Then there are those who teach only the mere facts of chance that are really a series
of theories because the truth is unknown. The problem is, both are theories, and they have
come about because during the dark ages, those who were scientists and thinkers and
people of different views were murdered, burned at the stake, hanged, drawn and quartered,
and drowned by people who took over from a world of sinners. All knowledge was quietly
tucked away in the vaults of the religious world. Illiteracy was encouraged, and total governance
was imposed on the citizens. The reason you have so many non believers today and those who
oppose the churches, came about because the churches misused their powers and privileges.
What is that old saying what goes round comes round.
For those who are wondering what this means, I believe there are some faiths that can get around
the law while stifling the Muslims. Like it or not, we as a society are on a collision course between
secularism and religion and that day is not that far off. In my view, there is polarization on this and
every other issue in society and a peaceful conclusion appears to be a long way off.

From my own observation there is only one "faith" that I have much use for because they are singularly devoted to helping their fellow man, without question or discrimination...............................the Salvation Army. All the rest I've seen have spokesmen who appoint themselves as the authority. :smile:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I too was raised a Catholic but I took the view that Christ and the real church were
revolutionary but not primarily religious, until the the big four Mathew, Mark, Luke
and John started fighting for power. What started as an alternative turned into a
mega maniac religion, that had and has nothing to do with it origins.
All faiths that profess that everyone else is going to hell if they fail to measure up
by their standards is an instilling false beliefs into little kids that really screws them
up. I know a lot of young people that have all these thoughts and beliefs and then
they go to post secondary education. They find a different world and there is now
strife in those families as the kids no longer believe the same thing after four or
five years of schooling. It is sad that religion is dividing families and communities.
There can be all kinds of different teaching methods to meet the needs of those
who need to learn. The problem is the old religious idea that our faith is better than
yours is no longer appropriate. It would be far better for families, communities and
the country to have religion on the back burner.
For those who say majority rules, remember in the articles of democracy it says
the majority rules, but the rights and wishes of the minority need to be respected.
To me that invites compromise something adults are in short supply of. In short
our kids are often more adult about this than most children. Private Daycare should
not be used to indoctrinate children. it should be used to prepare them to learn all
they can with an open mind.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yep, a lot of grief and misery could be avoided if these zealot nut cases could simply say "some people believe.........................".

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Not even worth replying with the anti "religion" brigade spouting the bullshyte they are......How unfortunate that the Church is being blamed for mentally unstable behaviours.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
JLM that of course would mean denying their own self centered importance and of
course it would lower their esteem in their own eyes. For the most part they are
people chained in the darkness of their own dungeon and they persist on having
you and I for company whether we want to go there or not.
There are two groups really, one a group of people living their faith and doing their
best everyday to help others and they do it because they want to.
The other group is hell bent of misery for everyone. We are all going to hell. Their
belief system is set up in such a way you would think they are the travel agent for
the Devil himself. Unless you believe this or that, unless you accept this or that to
be the absolute truth. Never mind that the story as being told, is so full of holes you
could drive a truck through.
Every time I asked a question that was difficult, I got a number of stock answers.
It is a mystery from God, and God can't be questioned. God works in mysterious
ways, I always liked that one. Never question God just follow in obedience to him.
If the priest or minister or pastor, was representing God you would think God would
give him the tools to do the job and provide some answers for the questions being
asked.
I have been thinking, that all these ministries are telling people if they pray hard enough,
or they buy a prayer cloth or some other item, God will answer their prayers. Don't you
think it is time these ministries had to obey the consumer advertising laws? Especially
those on radio and TV, the CRTC should step in and make sure their claims can be
proven. Wonder how many would stay on the air.
Religion in Daycare centers should be standard across the province in which they are
operating.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Thank Goodness!

No more children talking Muslim & First Nation in daycare ... no more crap about not respecting Christmas (that Canadian tradition) ... no more talk about holidays having to avoid all talk about easter eggs (another Canadian tradition) and Santa?

Progress!

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I think the Quebec government has taken a step too far. Forbidding religious instruction in a daycare that is run by a religious institution is beyond ludicrous. They could always refuse to subsidize the religious run daycares. Wonder how the people would react to that?

That's exactly what they are doing. You can have any religious day care you want. Just don't expect any money from the government.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
My daughter has gone to a Christian daycare for 5 years. It has been an absolutely incredible program. It would be a shame to see it fold because it couldn't get enough funding.