Pope Benedict XVI to resign due to ‘deteriorating’ health

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Vatileaks was symptomatic of Benedict's inability to control warring factions within the Roman Curia. In addition, the toll both mental and physical, of trying to deal with the abuse scandals simply wore him down. We will see if a new pope can reconcile deep divisions in the Church (women's role, married priesthood, declining attendance, etc.) or will he be even more conservative and unbending.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Vatileaks was symptomatic of Benedict's inability to control warring factions within the Roman Curia. In addition, the toll both mental and physical, of trying to deal with the abuse scandals simply wore him down. We will see if a new pope can reconcile deep divisions in the Church (women's role, married priesthood, declining attendance, etc.) or will he be even more conservative and unbending.
They can't do that, it will spell certain death for the church. They need another Pope John Paul but not someone with a woman worship bent like he had. That fired women up because it set women back within the church. He felled any progress being made.

As for Benedict, following in the footsteps of someone who was almost as charismatic as Christ is not an easy role to assume. He looks ill not that Pope John Paul didn't, he in fact looked worse, I would hold my breath just watching him walk and those around him were always ready to steady or catch him. BUT he still had a lot of influence and power because he was adored.

Why should Benedict run himself into the ground at this point...for what, nothing would be served? If one feels they are actually doing positive work one continues forward until one's last breath, otherwise....what is the point? Best to move aside.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They can't do that, it will spell certain death for the church. They need another Pope John Paul but not someone with a woman worship bent like he had. That fired women up because it set women back within the church. He felled any progress being made.

As for Benedict, following in the footsteps of someone who was almost as charismatic as Christ is not an easy role to assume. He looks ill not that Pope John Paul didn't, he in fact looked worse, I would hold my breath just watching him walk and those around him were always ready to steady or catch him. BUT he still had a lot of influence and power because he was adored.

Why should Benedict run himself into the ground at this point...for what, nothing would be served? If one feels they are actually doing positive work one continues forward until one's last breath, otherwise....what is the point? Best to move aside.

You're making sense, Sal, something in short supply in this thread. It's almost like no one is happy unless the man is suffering!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You're making sense, Sal, something in short supply in this thread. It's almost like no one is happy unless the man is suffering!
I feel bad for the guy frankly. He was pressured to do things no man, let alone a pope should have to do. I think they voted him in because they thought he could take the heat and the pressure. Well, it's a fubar that has been hidden and covered up and moved around for decades. This is not his fault. He played his part yes, but it is a systemic problem. They can crucify him and it will not change one single thing, no victim will be healed and the past can not be changed.

Frankly I do believe they know they have made huge, huge mistakes and I think they were hoping to pay victims off and wait out the death of the perpetrators and then they could move forward. What gets lost in all of this is the average Catholic who is involved in their parish and contributing their part to saving their piece of the world. The faith and good works all go to s h i t when the big picture is not viewed.

I don't even know how they should handle this. But they had best vote someone in whose past is squeaky clean, is a moderate, and someone who can make the love shine....that's what Pope John Paul did. He was a leader, a poet, a philosopher. When you read his writings he was a brilliant scholar. They need someone like that again to lead the church out of this scandal so people can feel the love again.

Seriously it has to be about the love.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Oh come on admit it, it more than just news. You make sure to tune into the Debaters every Wed morn like clockwork.
That, too. :D
Doesn't seem to matter what other radio stations are around here, CBC provides a better variety of stuff than the others.

The College of Cardinals may elect a non European pope. European church attendance is bouncing on empty.
It should pull off to the side of the road and let others go by then.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
Pope Benedict, Joseph Ratzinger, has scheduled a meeting with Italian President Giorgio Napolitano for Saturday, February 23 to discuss securing protection and immunity from prosecution from the Italian government, according to Italian media sources.
Ratzinger's meeting follows upon the apparent receipt by the Vatican of a diplomatic note from an undisclosed European government on February 4, stating its intention to issue an arrest warrant for Ratzinger, who resigned from his pontificate less than a week later.
itccs.org | Pope Benedict to seek immunity and protection from Italian President Giorgio Napolitano on February 23

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

Lightning Phenomena After Announcement Of Pope Benedict XVI Resignation

Airdate: 02/12/2013
It's an amazing photo that’s shocking the world.
Hours after the pope announced he's stepping down, a bolt of lightning struck the top of St. Peter's Basilica, the heart of the Catholic Church.
"Sparking His Wrath" is the headline in the New York Post, but a high ranking Church official had the opposite theory of what the lightning meant.
Monsignor Anthony Figueiredo said, “I saw it myself. I’m a witness and I think it was God himself saying to us, these are going to be exciting times for the Church.”
You'd be forgiven for thinking that the picture is a fake, but it's not. There was even video documenting the event.
A professional photographer snapped the shot after waiting two hours in the rain, anticipating a lightning bolt. It's said that lightning never strikes twice in the same place, but the bolt hit the basilica twice.
There have been other startling images that have sparked debate about their authenticity. A photo of a bonfire in Poland looked like the image of the late beloved Pope John Paul II.
On 9/11, there was an image which many thought to be the devil arising out of the World Trade towers.
In both cases, the photographers said no trickery was used. As for the lightning strike at the Vatican, one scientific explanation could be that a lightning rod was installed during a renovation.

Lightning Phenomena After Announcement Of Pope Benedict XVI Resignation - News from InsideEdition.com

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia

Lightning Phenomena After Announcement Of Pope Benedict XVI Resignation

Airdate: 02/12/2013
It's an amazing photo that’s shocking the world.
Hours after the pope announced he's stepping down, a bolt of lightning struck the top of St. Peter's Basilica, the heart of the Catholic Church.
"Sparking His Wrath" is the headline in the New York Post, but a high ranking Church official had the opposite theory of what the lightning meant.
Monsignor Anthony Figueiredo said, “I saw it myself. I’m a witness and I think it was God himself saying to us, these are going to be exciting times for the Church.”
You'd be forgiven for thinking that the picture is a fake, but it's not. There was even video documenting the event.
A professional photographer snapped the shot after waiting two hours in the rain, anticipating a lightning bolt. It's said that lightning never strikes twice in the same place, but the bolt hit the basilica twice.
There have been other startling images that have sparked debate about their authenticity. A photo of a bonfire in Poland looked like the image of the late beloved Pope John Paul II.
On 9/11, there was an image which many thought to be the devil arising out of the World Trade towers.
In both cases, the photographers said no trickery was used. As for the lightning strike at the Vatican, one scientific explanation could be that a lightning rod was installed during a renovation.

Lightning Phenomena After Announcement Of Pope Benedict XVI Resignation - News from InsideEdition.com

it was just the big guy trying to get him before he disappears.........

Pope to remain 'hidden' after leaving Vatican

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/02/14/pope-vatican-hidden.html

and if you'd read your bible ratzinger, you'd know that there was nowhere to hide :)

Last edited: