Oil Sands are Alberta staples

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Most of us have always known that. Much of the complaints by ecoterrorists in the US comes from foundations that are backed by US oil interests that make more money from oil they own in third world countries and they don't want competition.

I'm curious, which international oil companies are these that don't own stakes in the oil sands?

winespius

Nominee Member
Jul 20, 2011
MHz...If I remember correctly it takes roughly 2 tons of oil sand to produce 1 bbl of oil..the rest is primarily sand coke and sulfur....but that is very rough as the concentration of bitumen varies tremendously..
I don't understand the second part of the question...it isn't dangerous to live either in Japan or near the oil sands...

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I don't understand the second part of the question...it isn't dangerous to live either in Japan or near the oil sands...
Thanks for the info on the first part of my post. In real costs that would seem to make that oil 'rather expensive' considering the size of the operation needed to recover each barrel. I could be wrong as I don't follow that project all that carefully. When Cheney visited several years ago it was a give-in that it would be expanding to the betterment of the various shareholders.
It would seem to be a resource that will outlive all of us considering the size and the rate of extraction.

Subject for another thread but this is an example, I though some settlements down-stream were getting 'polluted'.

As for living in Japan being dangerous these days I would beg to differ, I think their Gov has sold out the majority of residents as far as health related issues. As far as the missing workers that number would be on par for the number that died this quickly in the Ukraine after the Chernobyl meltdown.

Japan Bans Radioactive Meat a Little Too Late :

NHK WORLD English

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I can't understand how they make staples out of heavy oil.
Coke is a by-product of refining and can used in furnaces to make steel or electricity to make steel using electric arc furnaces.

I'm curious, which international oil companies are these that don't own stakes in the oil sands?
One of the most lucritive aspects of resources is buying and selling the leases (mineral rights and development rights). The value of the leases vary on the value of the proven or prospective resource.

Leases can be sat on for a long periods or stripped and the resource dumped below value to make a quick buck or held back from developement to keep them artifically stabilized for high finished product market prices.

He who holds the lease holds the power.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Man, I was just playing with the words of the OP.
You still learned something new. There is good money made before the oil even hits the barrel. A nations true wealth is judged not by gold silver or oil but a by-product of heavy oil. Sulfer.

Ha! Now you learned to things. Being a smart ass will sometimes turn your ass smart and that is a good thing.

winespius

Nominee Member
Jul 20, 2011
Actually the huge amounts of coke produced in the process was used for power generation in the first commercial plant...when I worked there a very long time ago. That was discontinued sometime in the '80's and they switched to natural gas...
BTW..the synthetic oil from these plants is light and sweet..meaning that it is easy to process into downstream products and is preferred by refiners over most convention crudes...
Heavy crude is conventional oil but with much higher viscosity and usually with more impurities than light crude...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm just curious if taxslave can list these companies that he blames of sabotaging the oil sands through bad press. All the major US players I know of have investments in the sands, so would be sabotaging themselves. Just a curiosity thing. Still waiting.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That doesn't seem to hinder the rock-trucks that drive on it daily on site. You need it to be 'soft' when it is put in place.

Those trucks beat shot rock to mud. Constant repair work is necessary you just don't see it.

Pew foundation comes to mind. The family behind it made their money in Eastern US oil a generation or two ago, It is much the same as the US lumber interests that finance Canadian ecco groups to protest logging here. Its all about money , who has it and who wants it.

winespius

Nominee Member
Jul 20, 2011
Not viscosity but density and gravity
Yes,it is more complex...heavy oil requires more refining is the bottom line.

Which part of the plant does sulfur come from again?

Very basically, in the refinery or upgrader.the sulfur is turned into H2S and stripped from the acid gas in the amine plants and condensed into elemental sulfur and stockpiled for market...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Those trucks beat shot rock to mud. Constant repair work is necessary you just don't see it.

Pew foundation comes to mind. The family behind it made their money in Eastern US oil a generation or two ago, It is much the same as the US lumber interests that finance Canadian ecco groups to protest logging here. Its all about money , who has it and who wants it.

The family behind it own/founded Sunoco/Suncor, which owns a huge stake in the oilsands as well. So I fail to see how the Pew Charitable Trust (a non-profit organization), is lobbying against the oil sands in order to reap its own profit.

Any others leap out at you?

winespius

Nominee Member
Jul 20, 2011
BTW...Sunoco and the Alberta government funded the first oil sand pilot plant and subsequent commercial plant (GCOS) when Ottawa and Ontario weren't interested...so Dalton can go stuff himself...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Not viscosity but density and gravity
Yes,it is more complex...heavy oil requires more refining is the bottom line.

Which part of the plant does sulfur come from again?

Very basically, in the refinery or upgrader.the sulfur is turned into H2S and stripped from the acid gas in the amine plants and condensed into elemental sulfur and stockpiled for market...
Don't forget the hydrogen cracking. Very important step.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
As best I can remember the cost to produce a barrel of crude from Oil Sands is around the $70-$80/ bbl range.

Contrast this with Saudi crude where the cost to produce a bbl of crude is around the $5-$6 range.